Author Topic: How good was Shaq as a rapper?  (Read 616 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
How good was Shaq as a rapper?
« on: March 08, 2024, 01:05:45 AM »
Dude actually went platinum.  I remember one of my friends got me the cassette tape of his debut album for my 12 year old birthday but I don’t remember ever listening to it.  I stumbled across this joint he did with Rza and I’m like, “you know what Shaq had some skills on the mic”.  He doesnt sound bad.  It’s he the best athlete rapper?  Better than dana barros, Kobe, iverson, Prime Time, etc?

https://youtu.be/JsLG8ynicBA?si=byGqzlqemvOBORZZ
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Rubinho

Re: How good was Shaq as a rapper?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 12:39:36 PM »
I liked that track he did WC and Nate. There also was a video for it

HighEyeCue

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 06:24:47 PM »
Chris Webber could flow…he had a single with Kurupt an album as well

he also produced a couple of tracks for Nas

The following users thanked this post: Marco

Sccit

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 10:45:25 PM »
he was dope .. most successful rapper athlete for sure

but kobe was a sleeper, lowkey had some raw skill on the mic as well .. david stern made him shelve his album tho

The following users thanked this post: Marco

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 06:30:30 AM »
he was dope .. most successful rapper athlete for sure

but kobe was a sleeper, lowkey had some raw skill on the mic as well .. david stern made him shelve his album tho

Yah Kobe was dope

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 06:31:15 AM »
Chris Webber could flow…he had a single with Kurupt an album as well

he also produced a couple of tracks for Nas

Haven’t heard him flow but heard his production on Nas album

HighEyeCue

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2024, 08:02:48 AM »
Haven’t heard him flow but heard his production on Nas album

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 02:51:06 PM »
Biological Didn't Bother G-FUNK Remix is awesome, still bump it to this day.  DJ Quik produced a couple joints for him that were tight.  And the joint with Nate Dogg too was good. 

I think Shaq is ok if he has good producers behind him, but probably not a good enough rapper to save a bad track. 

The following users thanked this post: teecee, Marco

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2024, 10:05:43 AM »

I don't know that shit was pretty underwhelming.  I think Shaq got him beat by a lot.  Kurupt doing his Kuruption era rap style where he thought he was such a big star he didn't need to try anymore.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2024, 04:40:04 PM »
I don't know that shit was pretty underwhelming.  I think Shaq got him beat by a lot.  Kurupt doing his Kuruption era rap style where he thought he was such a big star he didn't need to try anymore.

true on Kurupt

Damian Lillard has skills on the mic...alot better than these recent rappers that have come out in the last 15 years or so

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2024, 07:56:06 AM »
true on Kurupt

Damian Lillard has skills on the mic...alot better than these recent rappers that have come out in the last 15 years or so

yeah youre right..

and more on that Kurupt note, he was thinking he was a star when he wasn't.  Average music listener still didn't know who he was.  He was like a roadie for Snoop and Snoop's homie to the average non-hip-hop music fan watching MTV

we all love Dogg Food and think its classic and consider Kurupt and Daz legends and all that... but I think Daz and Kurupt found out pretty fast when they went solo, that a lot of their record sales had to do with Snoop's star power and not their own. 

Dogg Pound was viewed as like D-12 was with Eminem.  So imagine D-12 putting out an album and trying to sell without Eminem. 

The Predator

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2024, 03:53:51 AM »
Rza hooked him up with some prime dark Gravediggers type shit.

Spectacular cardiovascular attacker!
Shaq's on the track with the Blackula
Puzzler! Rugged slugger, 40 oz guzzler
Gold nugget fangs punch holes inside your jugular…

HighEyeCue

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2024, 04:39:28 AM »
yeah youre right..

and more on that Kurupt note, he was thinking he was a star when he wasn't.  Average music listener still didn't know who he was.  He was like a roadie for Snoop and Snoop's homie to the average non-hip-hop music fan watching MTV

we all love Dogg Food and think its classic and consider Kurupt and Daz legends and all that... but I think Daz and Kurupt found out pretty fast when they went solo, that a lot of their record sales had to do with Snoop's star power and not their own. 

Dogg Pound was viewed as like D-12 was with Eminem.  So imagine D-12 putting out an album and trying to sell without Eminem.

Exactly

its often ovelooked how big a part Snoop played in Dogg Foods success

Snoop in '95 was still prime Snoop in terms of popularity coming off Murder Was The Case soundtrack the year before and Pac had yet to release anything on Death Row when Dogg Food came out

as soon as Pac released AEOM in February of '96 Dogg Food was put on the backburner, no other singles were released and it stalled at 2 million

Daz and Kurupt never even saw gold sales again on their own

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2024, 08:15:44 AM »
Exactly

its often ovelooked how big a part Snoop played in Dogg Foods success

Snoop in '95 was still prime Snoop in terms of popularity coming off Murder Was The Case soundtrack the year before and Pac had yet to release anything on Death Row when Dogg Food came out

as soon as Pac released AEOM in February of '96 Dogg Food was put on the backburner, no other singles were released and it stalled at 2 million

Daz and Kurupt never even saw gold sales again on their own

Yes because until “California Love” dropped Snoop was the biggest star in rap from The Chronic release up until Pac overtook him.  So at the time of Dogg Food even casual fans copped the Dogg Food album not because of Kurupt and Daz but because Snoop was in the video kicking down buildings and cause Snoop put them both in “Doggy Dog World” music video, etc.  They really thought it was like Snoop’s rap group—and Snoop was all over that album.

On the other note I thought Streetz and Space Boogie at least went platinum for Kurupt.

…but yeah, Kuruption was 300,000 and RRGB was 300,000 I think they both got a huge reality check when they saw those sales like “damn we owe a lot to Snoop”

HighEyeCue

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2024, 06:38:00 AM »
Yes because until “California Love” dropped Snoop was the biggest star in rap from The Chronic release up until Pac overtook him.  So at the time of Dogg Food even casual fans copped the Dogg Food album not because of Snoop and Daz but because Snoop was in the video kicking down buildings and cause Snoop put them both in “Doggy Dog World” music video, etc.  They really thought it was like Snoop’s rap group—and Snoop was all over that album.

On the other note I thought Streetz and Space Boogie at least went platinum for Kurupt.

…but yeah, Kuruption was 300,000 and RRGB was 300,000 I think they both got a huge reality check when they saw those sales like “damn we owe a lot to Snoop”

yeah I've seen sites say anywhere from 300,000 to 1 million for all 3 of those albums

they were never certified though so there is no way to verify it