Author Topic: How good was Shaq as a rapper?  (Read 617 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: How good was Shaq as a rapper?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2024, 09:48:07 AM »
yeah I've seen sites say anywhere from 300,000 to 1 million for all 3 of those albums

they were never certified though so there is no way to verify it

Those are questions they never ask in interviews that I've always wanted to hear them ask.  Like, did ya'll make nay bread off RRGB, off Kuruption, of Streetz, or Space Boogie??  Did your label lose money?  What happened.

It's like with the case of Warren G.  Obviously he made a lot off G Funk Era.  It supposedly saved Def Jam (which I think is a big exzaggeration).   

But I always wonder about the other albums like Take A Look Over Your Shoulder.  It supposedly went gold.  Yet you never hear anything about it.  I listened to it everyday for like two months straight.  I did hear him say once in an interview that his 3rd album I Want It All (which was gold) the label went defunct so he didn't get any money on that.

And then you really got to differentiate between up front money and recoup.  So here's my guess on all the above mentioned albums.

G Funk Warren got a nice advance because of his name at the time being associated with Snoop and Dre and then he even made a lot of loot on the back end when a year later the recoup and royalties started coming in after the label was paid back its money.

But it is possible on all the other albums I mentioned they got a nice advance and then didn't get shit on the back end.  No debts or nothing, but their parent label ate all those costs.  So at the end of the day they just had a nice advance from the deal they signed to do the album.

That's all just a guess.  I'd love to hear the whole breakdown.  I read a nice Jermaine Dupri interview once where he broke it down simply by saying that an album has to sell 300,000.  If it sells 300,000 then they make their money.  The label makes the money, they are album to pay for the album expenses, and the artists makes money--but he said anything under 300,000 you are kind of losing money.  He said that in a 98 interview and that was the clearest and simplest breakdown I've ever heard.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

teecee

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2024, 10:59:56 AM »
Shaq wasn’t a good rapper BUT you couldn’t tell me that when he first dropped.  Plus he had great production (“I Know I Got Skills”!) and guests, all stars from the East and West.  I still bump his first two albums

teecee

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2024, 03:06:11 PM »
he was dope .. most successful rapper athlete for sure

but kobe was a sleeper, lowkey had some raw skill on the mic as well .. david stern made him shelve his album tho

Be honest! Kobe’s track with Tyra was terrible to the point where it got erased from existence

teecee

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2024, 03:06:55 PM »
Chris Webber could flow…he had a single with Kurupt an album as well

he also produced a couple of tracks for Nas

Surviving the Times is one of my all-time Nas tracks- and produced by C-Webb!

teecee

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2024, 03:10:32 PM »

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

Civilian3030

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2024, 06:49:47 PM »
He had so many dope guest appearances, plus that Shaq-Fu game was the shit back in the day. Shaw was tight. He does DJ sets which are always a blast. He does not spin anything I like but he plays all his shows free, or donates the money to charities. Watching Shaq enjoy life is a good time in itself.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2024, 04:57:22 AM »
How about Flow On by Cedric Ceballos?  Not the greatest rapper but the track is vintage Warren G.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=g5s_cmff2Uk&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.ca%2F&source_ve_path=Mjg2NjY&feature=emb_logo

Love it man!!  Thanks for the link.. good ol days life was really like that, Ricky Harris in the video  ;D

The following users thanked this post: teecee

Matty

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2024, 08:40:12 AM »
not the best rapper but his vocal sounds good and he's pretty decent. he's actually sounding great on a couple of features recently...

The following users thanked this post: Marco

teecee

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2024, 10:26:08 PM »
How about Shaq on the Bow Down remix!  This dropped rigjt when he signed to the Lakers. Classic shit over the CREAM beat -

Shaq rips this

The following users thanked this post: Marco

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2024, 08:37:21 AM »
How about Shaq on the Bow Down remix!  This dropped rigjt when he signed to the Lakers. Classic shit over the CREAM beat -

Shaq rips this

classic timing man didn't know about this

The following users thanked this post: teecee

HighEyeCue

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2024, 03:32:22 AM »
How about Flow On by Cedric Ceballos?  Not the greatest rapper but the track is vintage Warren G.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=g5s_cmff2Uk&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.ca%2F&source_ve_path=Mjg2NjY&feature=emb_logo

I remember this, nice track 8)

Ceballos could ball though

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2024, 01:01:23 AM »
I remember this, nice track 8)

Ceballos could ball though

maybe he was having too much fun in the rap golden age era--he kind of seems like another one of those guys with talent to be elite NBA player but instead just ended up being a talented and good player but not great. 

Alot of talent on those Pheonix Suns teams in those days they were always good even before Barkley Kevin Johnson was da man !! and I think they had tom chambers back when chambers won an MVP?? Everyoone forgets that guy won an MVP

HighEyeCue

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2024, 04:01:29 AM »
maybe he was having too much fun in the rap golden age era--he kind of seems like another one of those guys with talent to be elite NBA player but instead just ended up being a talented and good player but not great. 

Alot of talent on those Pheonix Suns teams in those days they were always good even before Barkley Kevin Johnson was da man !! and I think they had tom chambers back when chambers won an MVP?? Everyoone forgets that guy won an MVP

Tom Chambers was not only a great player but a great dunker as well

but yeah those Phoenix teams always were solid in the late 80s early 90s

Sccit

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2024, 08:19:11 AM »

chambers never won mvp

all-star mvp yes, but he wasn’t an nba mvp caliber player

still a baller

and yea, ceballos was infamous for taking a vacation mid-season wit the lakers LOL

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2024, 12:18:13 PM »

chambers never won mvp

all-star mvp yes, but he wasn’t an nba mvp caliber player

still a baller

and yea, ceballos was infamous for taking a vacation mid-season wit the lakers LOL

somehow I must have mixed it up with the All-Star MVP, not sure.

...as for Ceballos I mostly remember him for the blind-folded dunk.  The Dunk contest was actually a big deal when I was a kid, it was like one of the highlights of the year.  The year Dee Brown won it with the pumps we all went out and bought Reebok Pumps after that

The following users thanked this post: Sccit