Author Topic: How good was Shaq as a rapper?  (Read 396 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: How good was Shaq as a rapper?
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2024, 09:48:07 AM »
yeah I've seen sites say anywhere from 300,000 to 1 million for all 3 of those albums

they were never certified though so there is no way to verify it

Those are questions they never ask in interviews that I've always wanted to hear them ask.  Like, did ya'll make nay bread off RRGB, off Kuruption, of Streetz, or Space Boogie??  Did your label lose money?  What happened.

It's like with the case of Warren G.  Obviously he made a lot off G Funk Era.  It supposedly saved Def Jam (which I think is a big exzaggeration).   

But I always wonder about the other albums like Take A Look Over Your Shoulder.  It supposedly went gold.  Yet you never hear anything about it.  I listened to it everyday for like two months straight.  I did hear him say once in an interview that his 3rd album I Want It All (which was gold) the label went defunct so he didn't get any money on that.

And then you really got to differentiate between up front money and recoup.  So here's my guess on all the above mentioned albums.

G Funk Warren got a nice advance because of his name at the time being associated with Snoop and Dre and then he even made a lot of loot on the back end when a year later the recoup and royalties started coming in after the label was paid back its money.

But it is possible on all the other albums I mentioned they got a nice advance and then didn't get shit on the back end.  No debts or nothing, but their parent label ate all those costs.  So at the end of the day they just had a nice advance from the deal they signed to do the album.

That's all just a guess.  I'd love to hear the whole breakdown.  I read a nice Jermaine Dupri interview once where he broke it down simply by saying that an album has to sell 300,000.  If it sells 300,000 then they make their money.  The label makes the money, they are album to pay for the album expenses, and the artists makes money--but he said anything under 300,000 you are kind of losing money.  He said that in a 98 interview and that was the clearest and simplest breakdown I've ever heard.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

The following users thanked this post: HighEyeCue

teecee

Re: How good was Shaq as a rapper?
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2024, 10:59:56 AM »
Shaq wasn’t a good rapper BUT you couldn’t tell me that when he first dropped.  Plus he had great production (“I Know I Got Skills”!) and guests, all stars from the East and West.  I still bump his first two albums