Author Topic: ?uestlove helping Jay Z with Black Album  (Read 190 times)

Dj Eskimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • <iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/insertgamer
?uestlove helping Jay Z with Black Album
« on: June 03, 2003, 08:00:55 AM »
In what seems to be a "hell freezing over" scenario for Jay-Z fans, ?uestlove of The Roots has reportedly been advising Hova on his forthcoming Black Album, which is to be Mr. Carter's last LP.

According to messages posted by ?uestlove on the band's popular Okayplayer.com website, the funky drummer and "the smartest backpacker" (as ?uest called Jay), have been going back and forth via phone, two way and e-mail--discussing the project's configuration, including producers, the tracks' content as well as limited guest appearances. "I think he should bring it on home, sure--Reasonable Doubt is dope, but I know and he knows....that he has yet to make his Illmatic," said ?uest in the inaugural post.

Once revised with insight from Okayplayer's community, ?uest's dream configuration- a track listing which would idealistically result in a full-proof classic pointed to a return to Jay's Reasonable Doubts days. If it follows the wish list, the album would reunite Hov with original producer Ski, DJ Premier and loud mouth PAIN IN DA ASS, all who have been absent on Jay's last few albums. Besides advising on Freeway as the only guest appearance and proposing what would be a shocking collaboration with God's Son, whom ?uest referred to as Mr. Kelis Rodgers, the wish list also included surprise collaborations with The Beatnuts, DJ Quik and former Slum Village producer J-Dilla (F.K.A. Jay Dee), whom ?uest strongly advocated should be part of the album.

Hova's response noted that his and ?uest's lists were similar for the most part. "We're on the same page, (almost)," said Jay-z in his response to ?uest's list. He concluded his reply by adding, "I'll have Beatnuts, Jay Dee (who I love), fight this one out."

Furthermore, Mr. Carter's list revealed even more shocking than ?uest's as he plans to enlist legendary producers Rick Rubin and Marley Marl for his last album.

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/insertgamertaghere.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>
http://www.myspace.com

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
Re:?uestlove helping Jay Z with Black Album
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 10:22:00 AM »
whoa!!!! JIgga Doing bigg things

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 11:12:24 AM »
damn..look at all those dope producers..hes finally getting his mind correct..drop all that pop shit and he could release his best album..i guess that news about the neptunes producing for the black album was fake..which is good to know..
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

CharlieBrown

• Chillin' Wit Snoopy, eating Peanuts
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Dre, the only Dr I know who performs miracles"
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2003, 11:16:42 AM »
i guess that news about the neptunes producing for the black album was fake..which is good to know..

Don't count on it, ?uestlove wants them to produce the whole of the next Roots album so i think we will see them on The Black Album.
Charlie, lost his life right in front of the party...

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2003, 11:57:04 AM »
Actually looks like Jigga may return to form on this album then. Loads of dope producers listed there, but I hope he still makes some use of Kanye West on the album because I think he would fit right in with the vibe of the productions on the album looking at the other producers.

Woodrow

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2003, 12:21:15 PM »
The Beatnuts, DJ Quik and former Slum Village producer J-Dilla (F.K.A. Jay Dee), whom ?uest strongly advocated should be part of the album.

I like this part!

Skindiana bon3z

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2003, 12:30:47 PM »

Jome

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2003, 03:56:52 PM »
Looks dope.. Jigga taking it back to '96..

Only Freeway as a guest is  :-\ though, but then there won't be anybody to outshine Jay.
I would still like to see Kanye on there though, but Just Blaze's club-tracks can easily be left out..  8)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2003, 04:41:23 PM »
?uestlove just wants Freeway on cause he's from Philly.  If you only had one guest appearance, why would you pick Freeway?  Someone like his biggest influence, Big Daddy Kane, would make more sense.

It looks like the idea of "the black album" is out the window since he's promoting it already.

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2003, 05:16:45 PM »
Looks tight...I hope he keeps the mainstream/pop sounding shit off the album this time and come with an album more like "Reasonable Doubt".