Author Topic: To wordplay or not to wordplay  (Read 179 times)

bostonboy

• Lil Geezy
  • I'm a llama!
To wordplay or not to wordplay
« on: June 16, 2003, 06:09:07 AM »
For the sake of keystyle with no beat wordplay seems fine and all, but if you read the lyrics of any mainstream rapper, or even those from pharoahe monch, youll notice lack of wordplay and sometimes really simplistic rhymes... in my opinion the voice of the rapper and general flow to a solid beat is what makes rappers go big time... I believe that if all rap on this board was done on audio, peoples beliefs on who was best would change drastically..... any opinions on this??

ill natural

• Lil Geezy
  • FUCK YOU!
Re:To wordplay or not to wordplay
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2003, 06:16:02 AM »
alot of really dope textcees suck when it comes to audio... on here theres a lot of stress on multis and alot of cats even sacrifice their flow for the sake of their multis... i dont do audio but i do battle offline.. and whats imprtant is the flow, delivery and if you're battling then the punches. cats aint gonna pay props at some strung together multis if your flow is off and your punches weak.

I believe that if all rap on this board was done on audio, peoples beliefs on who was best would change drastically
thats anywhere man... audio is very different to text... shit has to sound good over a beat.
Life's not a bitch, life is a beautiful woman.
You only call her a bitch cause she won't let you in that pussy
Maybe she felt you didn't share any similar interests
Or Maybe you're an asshole who couldnt sweet talk a princess.
- Aesop Rock

Ill Natural has spoken... Y'all may be seated

bez

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2003, 06:44:57 AM »
For the sake of keystyle with no beat wordplay seems fine and all, but if you read the lyrics of any mainstream rapper, or even those from pharoahe monch, youll notice lack of wordplay and sometimes really simplistic rhymes... in my opinion the voice of the rapper and general flow to a solid beat is what makes rappers go big time... I believe that if all rap on this board was done on audio, peoples beliefs on who was best would change drastically..... any opinions on this??

thats exactly why when I write I like to keep shit plain.  

bostonboy

• Lil Geezy
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2003, 07:52:54 AM »
I wrote this for the most part because I take shit for little wordplay in my spits and battles... I dont drop audio online because i lake the hardware at the moment but I do almost all my work on mics and hardly ever recieve critisism for it, cept for when im in here.... I understand how things work and all I just wanted people to understand rappin for more than just text without instramentals

Juda

• Lil Geezy
  • Chyo
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 07:53:33 AM »
i strongly agree, if there was a beat with most keystyles, the votes would change.
                                Ez

·SiNiStEr·

• Tex
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • is this mic on?
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2003, 04:27:59 PM »
and im sure alot of these keystyles would change if they were over a beat as well.. its sorta dumb to say that votes would change.. all the verses are written to be read.. to show imagery and imagination.. my verses would hella change if i wrote them for audio but i dont so there u have it
:..WCC Cup Champion.. 
:..WCC Heavyweight Champion..           

Battle Record :    24-6

thats how we do..
.:-ELITE-:.    M-Dogg.. Rodzilla.. SiNiStEr.. VitoDeLuca.. Mack..  .:-ELITE-:. she wanted me to bust in her eye so she could watch my children..Fabolous

abstruse

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2003, 06:45:47 PM »
To add-on to Sinisters post, yes I also think most Keystylers would change their style if this were audio, but this is a Keystyle forum, where being the better Keystyler is more important then sounding good in RL.  I think multi's are essential when you Keystyle. If you have checked my previous Keystyles, when I say the verse is for an audio, it's written for an audio and the whole style is switched, and I ownly incorporate multi's when they come naturally. Like Ill Natural, I also do battle, and I never use multi's or wordplay when I do, I stick to delivery and punchlines. It all depends on what you're doing it for, but since this is a Keystyle forum I'd just advise more wordplay.

$$ for anyone who counts all the times I said Keystyle, it's kind of like the keyword in this whole ordeal.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2003, 06:46:30 PM by abstruse »

VDK REPPIN!

bostonboy

• Lil Geezy
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2003, 06:19:33 AM »
KEYSTYLE... this isnt the first forum ive been in, I was just putting things into another perspective, i completely understand what your saying... Im more for audio thats all, I like to be able to hear my work as it unfolds, ya know... your opinions appreciated... anyways ive been looking to battle you, if you want i can set it up, no rush, just lemme know

abstruse

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2003, 12:58:31 PM »
Battle me? If so, i'll check tonight if I make it out of the First Round of the cup.  If I dont, I'll battle you, if I do get out, you'll have to wait a bit, because I'm not trying to do too much at once, and dont wanna waste the heat. ;)

VDK REPPIN!

vitodeluca

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2003, 02:42:34 PM »
KEYSTYLE... this isnt the first forum ive been in, I was just putting things into another perspective, i completely understand what your saying... Im more for audio thats all, I like to be able to hear my work as it unfolds, ya know... your opinions appreciated... anyways ive been looking to battle you, if you want i can set it up, no rush, just lemme know

Dude, there is an audio section.  I'm gettin' sick of people sayin' " that wouldn't fit to audio, audio's different, blah, blah"  NO SHIT??  I woulda never guessed.  You mean I can't go to a quilting forum and talk about tarps???? Why not?  Tarps are more useful!!  Everybody in the Quilt forum should make Tarps!!!  

.:-ELITE-:.   M-Dogg.. Rodzilla.. SiNiStEr.. VitoDeLuca.. S.H.O.P..  .:-ELITE-:.Wins: Lost titan, bloody apronz, cee hoody, the answer, indecisive, primo, abstruse, ill natural, Adam X, Bez, Illicit aka Cee Ride, CSN, Jemuel, timelock, prophecy, assasin, Mack
Losses: Mack(x2), Red Alert,
Crew:Elite  
Battle Record: 17-3-0
April Awards:
Rookie of the month
Most Improved

MC of the Month
Battle MC of the Mont

bostonboy

• Lil Geezy
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2003, 06:32:27 AM »
oh my god theres an audio section..... no way..... i know this, come on dawg dont get all flustered about the topic

vitodeluca

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2003, 10:26:58 AM »
That's why it was a joke.

.:-ELITE-:.   M-Dogg.. Rodzilla.. SiNiStEr.. VitoDeLuca.. S.H.O.P..  .:-ELITE-:.Wins: Lost titan, bloody apronz, cee hoody, the answer, indecisive, primo, abstruse, ill natural, Adam X, Bez, Illicit aka Cee Ride, CSN, Jemuel, timelock, prophecy, assasin, Mack
Losses: Mack(x2), Red Alert,
Crew:Elite  
Battle Record: 17-3-0
April Awards:
Rookie of the month
Most Improved

MC of the Month
Battle MC of the Mont