Author Topic: KRS-One - Kristyles: The Official Cliche Joint  (Read 79 times)

Cliche

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Digital Sound Prophet
KRS-One - Kristyles: The Official Cliche Joint
« on: June 20, 2003, 04:06:10 PM »
01. Warning - Intro
02. Do You Got It
03. Ya Feel Dat
04. Underground
05. How Bad Do You Want It ft. Peedo
06. Ain't The Same
07. It's A Struggle
08. What Else Happened
09. Somebody
10. Surviving ft. Tekitha
11. Things Will Change
12. The Movement
13. Gunnin Em Down
14. Philosophical
15. 9 Elements
16. Alright With Me
17. The Only One

the lack of guest spots listed suprised me when i saw this...

"Warning" is well.. just an intro.

"Do Ya Got It" basically like an intro... KRS over a bottom heavy beat with some live stuff sampled in at the end...

"Ya Feel Dat" hmm... I like the beat and how KRS is spitting, but I think the hook annoys me... decent song with good energy allows KRS to really get going... the last 2 verses are dope.

"Underground" I've heard this song... was it on profits vs. prophets? if not i heard it somewhere else... production isn't bad at all, the hook is kinda eh again... i'm a sucker for KRS on the mic though so i can handle it. overall not a very good song...

"How Bad Do You Want It" nice change of production styles... Peedo guests on this joint and gives a nice contrast to KRS... good song...

"Ain't The Same" woah... this track is giving me huge deja vu... now i know why... it's got the same sample as Wildchild & Kombo "On The Lookout"... dope sample and KRS rips it... i like the hook too.

"It's A Struggle" nice dirty feeling layered production... good rhymes and hook works... overall a nice song with a good rich sound..

"What Else Happened" erm... okay. i assume the point of this is a bit of comedy... i don't like it though...

"Somebody" hmm.. production is okay, feels kind of on the quiet side though. not a bad song, but not great either.

"Survivin" wow.. a chick singing on a KRS track... it fits remarkably well. there's one sound in the production (sounds like a beep) that is annoying the hell out of me... other than that, dope song. i believe the other cat on the track is Killah Priest?

"Things Will Change" dope joint... i like the production and the rhyming is dope as is the case through most of the LP... there's a guest i can't identify here.

"The Movement" dope production and rhymes... reminds me of something but i cant place what... one of my favorites on the album.

"Gunnin Em Down" man... this beat sounds old... very dirty to the point of distortion... pretty dope song once it gets going... good message

"Philosophical" decent track... there's nothing outstanding about it but nothing bad either...

"9 Elements" dope production on this song... according to KRS the 9 elements are... breaking, mcing, graffiti art, djing, beatboxing, street fashion, street language, street knowledge, street entrepreneuralism... interesting take on things... excellent message in this joint... combined with good rhymes, a dope beat and some nice cutting...

"Alright With Me" hmm.. the sample reminds me of something again... song is good except that same sample feels out of place...

"The Only One" wow.. certainly not something i expected from KRS, very heartfelt sounding song about his wife. i started liking it after i got used to the change...

overall this album is certainly not in the same league as his early work... there's only one or two songs that could even make it on to most of his first few albums... however, it's not without its good points... and overall it's not a bad album... just not what we hope for when KRS drops an LP... you won't find a "I'm Still #1" or "MC's Act Like They Don't Know" on here... but you will find a good, but far from great album from one of the best MC's ever...

overall i'd give it a 6/10.

Cliche's Top 10 Albums of All-Time

1. The Roots - Illadelph Halflife
2. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
3. Ras Kass - Soul On Ice
4. Warren G - Regulate
5. The Roots - Do You Want More?!?!?
6. Dr. Dre - The Chronic
7. Masta Ace - Disposable Arts
8. Nas - Illmatic
9. A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Mauraders
10. Chino XL - Here To Save You All

S.G.V.

Re:KRS-One - Kristyles: The Official Cliche Joint
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2003, 04:14:46 PM »
ouch! im still checkin it...KRS-One is the teacher...he doesnt dissapoint me...

DJ_Jay_Deee

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2003, 08:23:37 PM »
Can't wait to peep this album. 8)

The Watcher

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2003, 09:00:18 PM »
6-6.5/10 .. not his best work, but still a good album
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12