Author Topic: Best General of All Time?  (Read 474 times)

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Re:Best General of All Time?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2003, 12:51:06 AM »
Even Massouds work against the Soviets, while commendable, was tainted by the cease fire he had against the Soviets.

Strategically, it allowed Massoud to rest, and re arm his soldiers, and bring in reinforcements etc. However, the rest of the Mujahideen were not big on cease fires during an invasion.
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Genius

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2003, 03:35:54 AM »
We can all agree that it's.... PRUNING TIME :D

TheSheriff

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2003, 08:54:37 AM »
Massoud, at his peak, had 25,000...He was making advances before 9/11 (albeit small ones). Oh, and that number includes the Uzbeks, who pretty much refused to take orders from him. It doesn't include the Hazaras (5,000 of them fought the Taliban, calling themselves the "Eastern Alliance"). Nor does it include the 1000 men or so that were in Pakistan, under the auspices of the Royal Guard.

The Taliban, before 9/11, had over 60,000 regular troops facing him, along with a similar number of militia.

TheSheriff

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2003, 08:55:21 AM »
We can all agree that it's.... PRUNING TIME :D

Pruned. :)

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2003, 11:11:35 AM »
Massoud, at his peak, had 25,000...He was making advances before 9/11 (albeit small ones). Oh, and that number includes the Uzbeks, who pretty much refused to take orders from him. It doesn't include the Hazaras (5,000 of them fought the Taliban, calling themselves the "Eastern Alliance"). Nor does it include the 1000 men or so that were in Pakistan, under the auspices of the Royal Guard.

The Taliban, before 9/11, had over 60,000 regular troops facing him, along with a similar number of militia.

The Hazaras did not consititute the "Eastern Alliance". Hazaras are located in central Afghanistan, and belong predominately to Hezb I Wahdat. The Eastern Alliance consisted of Pashtun tribes in the East and South East that were either pro- King Zahir Shah, or anti Talib Pushtuns. As for Massoud, he was experiencing his worst defeats leading up to his assasination. He lost Badakhshan to the North East, and was relegated to JUST the Panjsher Valley.
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

TheSheriff

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2003, 11:25:08 AM »
So, one defeat means a man is not a great general? Caesar, Saladin, Jackson, Patton, Alexander...they all experienced defeat. In fact, Saladin was pushed back onto JUST Jerusalem at one point, remember? Did you list him purely because he was a Muslim who beat Christians?

TheSheriff

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2003, 11:36:38 AM »
The Hazaras did not consititute the "Eastern Alliance". Hazaras are located in central Afghanistan, and belong predominately to Hezb I Wahdat. The Eastern Alliance consisted of Pashtun tribes in the East and South East that were either pro- King Zahir Shah, or anti Talib Pushtuns.

My mistake. I should have said "Western Alliance" (recently released American maps show they were fighting more near the Iranian border, as the Iranian opposition were supplying them).

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2003, 11:13:28 PM »
I never stated that one defeat means a man is not a great general. I just said Massouds accomplishments were over rated.

- Lewis Carroll