Author Topic: U.S. football big surprise to English soccer star  (Read 463 times)

Woodrow

U.S. football big surprise to English soccer star
« on: June 26, 2003, 12:51:00 PM »

Turns out one of England's best footballers can't kick a football. At least not one with pointed ends.

England national goalkeeper David James, among the biggest soccer players in Europe at 6 feet 5 inches and 218 pounds, thought it would be fun to spend a day training with an NFL team. Frankly, he said, it didn't look all that hard.

The NFL, eager to heighten global exposure, was happy to grant James' wish. A dozen British journalists were on hand at Miami Dolphins camp Tuesday morning as James -- dressed in full pads and a No. 1 jersey -- spent nearly four hours working out with kicker Olindo Mare, quarterback Jay Fiedler, receiver James McKnight and defensive back Terrell Buckley.

So how did James do?

• He held his own as a receiver with his leaping ability and excellent hand-eye coordination.

• His passes had distance, but he had trouble throwing a spiral, despite Fiedler's reminders to ``hold it with your fingertips, not your palm.''

• Oddly, James had the most trouble kicking, saying it was ''completely foreign'' to him.

''It's not what I thought it was,'' James said of his NFL experience. ``It's a lot harder. When you see a 25-stone [350-pound] guy actually moving next to you, you realize they're not the dinosaurs they seem on the telly. They're so much faster than they look.''

He was particularly impressed with running back Ricky Williams.

`A TANK'

''The guy is a tank,'' he said. ``I saw him from the back first and he's as wide as he is tall. Nice bloke, as well. You can really see why he's able to do what he does on the field. He let loose on our last sprint and left me in his wake. Don't have anyone like that in England.''

Dolphins players were equally complimentary of James.

''He's a hell of an athlete,'' McKnight said. ``With a little fine-tuning, and some footwork, he could be a good wide receiver. His hand-eye coordination is superb. I could see him doing any sport, dunking a basketball, playing volleyball, long jumping, anything.''

James had looked up the NFL field goal record (63 yards) before his trip and thought ''no big deal''. He can crank a round ball the length of a soccer field, so how hard could a 63-yard field goal be?

Mare, an avid soccer fan and former soccer player, gave the goalkeeper precise instructions on how to strike the oblong ball. But James shanked right on most of his 30-yard field goal attempts, kickoffs and punts. When he finally split the uprights, he beamed.

The Dolphins, except for Mare, had never heard of James. They had no idea he makes $2 million a year. They didn't know he is in the news this summer because his club, West Ham, was relegated from Premiership to First Division and there was question whether that would hurt has status on the national team.

What they do know, after four hours with him, is that he is a world-class athlete. James has the strongest arms among English goalies and is known for preparation and fitness. His physique also caught the eye of Georgio Armani, for whom James has modeled on and off over the past seven years.

''I can't speak for other NFL players, but I have always respected soccer players,'' McKnight said. ``They must be the best conditioned athletes in the world with the amount of running they do. I've always been amazed at their endurance and precision and accuracy with the ball at their feet.''

Asked how he'd do at a West Ham practice, McKnight smiled and replied, ``I'd do fine for one day. It's the second day I'd be worried about.''

Buckley was not as gushing on soccer. Asked to name a soccer player, he thought for a moment and said, ''There's that dude who just signed for $41 million [David Beckham].'' That's where his list ended.

SOCCER EASY?

He suggested to Mare that soccer was easier than football, that ''most of the guys just stand around or jog.'' Mare shook his head and informed his teammate that the average NFL play lasts less than 10 seconds while soccer players are in motion for 45-minute halves with no timeouts or huddles.

Mare then grabbed a soccer ball, and challenged Buckley to defend him. Fat chance. Buckley might be able to tackle a 225-pound receiver on the move and pick off a spiraling football, but stealing a soccer ball from Mare's foot proved harder than he imagined.

Mare, who hasn't played soccer seriously in 14 years, dribbled past Buckley left, right, and center. Both players laughed as Mare made his point.

''These guys wouldn't last in a professional soccer game,'' said Mare, son of an Italian immigrant and huge Juventus fan. ``People here have no idea how hard it is.''

James said the feeling is mutual. ''Back home, there's a misconception that American footballers are really big guys who hurt people,'' he said. ``There isn't an appreciation for their athletic ability. I will set them straight.''

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • One of the Greatest Moments in Football History
Re:U.S. football big surprise to English soccer star
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2003, 01:04:52 PM »
These guys wouldn't last in a professional soccer game

Got that right

bez

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2003, 01:06:14 PM »
he cant kick a normal football thats why

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2003, 01:07:42 PM »
he cant kick a normal football thats why

LoL exactly

Turkey just scored a great goal

Joachim

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2003, 01:08:06 PM »
Turns out one of England's best footballers

Lol

Woodrow

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2003, 01:13:01 PM »
You don't see me posting comments like this:

"he had trouble throwing a spiral"

"James had the most trouble kicking, saying it was ''completely foreign'' to him."

This was a good article that showed the how different the 2 sports are, but how the players respected each other. Why does Jay always gotta bring the penis measurement game into it?

Do you think a soccer player would last in a US football game?

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2003, 01:17:16 PM »
Stamina wise?
Easy

He'd probably get battered tho

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2003, 01:27:58 PM »
I wouldn't say that James has excellent hand eye co-ordination, have you seen him on crosses?

TheSheriff

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2003, 03:30:23 PM »
In NFL Europe, a whole bunch of ex soccer players play for Frankfurt.

Also, Vinnie Jones was offered a contract with the Jets as a Cornerback.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2003, 06:42:18 PM »
i'm sure a lot of  corners and wr's  would last in the professional  soccer leagues over there in Europe and i'm sure  a grip of basketball player would too, get off your high horse jay.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Jome

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2003, 06:47:02 PM »
No wonder he can't kick properly when he's a goalie, and used to kick a NORMAL SHAPED football..  :P

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2003, 06:52:01 PM »
it's actually A LOT easier to kick our football, all you gotta do is hit the sweat spot real hard.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Reef

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Guess Whos Back?
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2003, 12:35:57 AM »
I wouldn't say that James has excellent hand eye co-ordination, have you seen him on crosses?

lmao.. Im suprised he was even able to hld the ball without it slipping out of his hand.

mauzip

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2003, 02:17:23 AM »
i didn't read that whole article :P

i have a funny anecdote:
when i was in the states we were playing football with PE one day. since i'm european i played a whole lot more soccer. anywayz, we had to kick that football. i never played it before and i kicked the football all the way till the end of the field; waaaaaaaaaay further than all others ;D

also funny was that they had to explain me the rules of football :P
« Last Edit: June 27, 2003, 02:17:58 AM by mauzip »

.:DayGoStyLz:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • MC's...dont wake me...
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2003, 03:27:03 AM »
Stamina wise?
Easy

He'd probably get battered tho

stamina wise, they wouldnt last. Not because they arent athletic enough, but because they dont train for American Football. Its a different sport, and requires different training. Its like that with any sport. You have to train FOR that sport, or else the movements your body makes...arent natural to you, and u tire easily. The most athletic football player, would tire during a soccer game....the most athletic soccer player, would tire during a football game. A football player, would not be used to the constant, non-stop running of soccer. A soccer player wouldnt be used to the having to run around with pads and helmets on(heavier then u think), and gettin lit up by 300lb men on every play.