Author Topic: Common - the voice of hip hop  (Read 358 times)

TheSheriff

Common - the voice of hip hop
« on: July 04, 2003, 01:16:31 PM »
I Used To Love H.E.R. is, perhaps, the greatest hip-hop commentary on hip-hop of all time. Common, though not the greatest flower, is a good lyricist and very deep.

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
Re:Common - the voice of hip hop
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 01:22:29 PM »
it means even more today than when it was released.

common is top 5.
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 01:29:33 PM »
Amazing song, everyone who hasn't heard it should check it out.  Common is one ill lyricst, peace

-{bLaDe}
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

IKON

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Pharoahe - God's Gift to Vocabulary BIOTCH!!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2003, 01:48:25 PM »
no doubt common is ill

i was just listening to like water for chocolate the other day and that album has to be one of the most relaxing jazzy hip hop albums of all time, it relaxed me so much

i got all his albums except can i borrow a dollar, is that one any good???

S.G.V.

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2003, 01:49:39 PM »
can i borrow a dollar is tight IMO...common makes great music...we need hip hop artists like him...

Dr._Funkenstein

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2003, 01:55:08 PM »

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2003, 01:59:53 PM »
Resurrection is easily Top 5 of the greatest exhibition of lyricism on an album. Common used to be in my Top 10 MC's of all time but this new eclectic shit ain't sittin' with me well. Like Water For Chocolate was amazing but his new album was too unorthodox for me.

Navigator

• Lil Geezy
  • Ourworld
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2003, 02:32:51 PM »
Resurrection is easily Top 5 of the greatest exhibition of lyricism on an album. Common used to be in my Top 10 MC's of all time but this new eclectic shit ain't sittin' with me well. Like Water For Chocolate was amazing but his new album was too unorthodox for me.
Couldn't of put it any better.Agreed.
u already knooow!

TheSheriff

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2003, 02:38:01 PM »
allmusic.com has a great review of it...thanks em28

Skindiana bon3z

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2003, 02:38:42 PM »
allmusic.com has a great review of it...thanks em28

No Prob  ;)

Don Breezio

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2003, 06:41:32 PM »

very well said...the only songs i even like from his electric circus album are "New Wave" (which i think is one of my top 5 common songs) and "Come Close"...other than that i really wasnt feelin the cd...but his old shit...god damn...you cant get much better!

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2003, 07:35:10 PM »
I Used To Love H.E.R is my fave song of all time... another of my fave song is Pharoahee Monch w/Common & Talib Kweli - The Truth......... Common is too deep

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris