Author Topic: Hackers plan massive attack this Sunday.  (Read 271 times)

mrtonguetwista

Hackers plan massive attack this Sunday.
« on: July 02, 2003, 03:15:46 PM »
 WASHINGTON (AP) - The government and private technology experts warned Wednesday that hackers plan to attack thousands of Web sites Sunday in a loosely coordinated ``contest'' that could disrupt Internet traffic.

Organizers established a Web site, defacers-challenge.com, listing in broken English the rules for hackers who might participate. The Web site appeared to operate out of California and cautioned to ``deface its crime'' - an apparent acknowledgment that vandalizing Internet pages is illegal.

The Department of Homeland Security said Wednesday it was aware of the hackers' plans but did not expect to issue any formal public warnings. The Chief Information Officers Council, part of the Office of Management and Budget, cautioned U.S. agencies and instructed experts to tighten security at federal Web sites.

``Frankly, hacker challenges occur frequently, and we don't think they all rise to the level of a warning,'' Homeland Security spokesman David Wray said.

Home Internet users, who typically do not operate Web sites, probably would not be affected directly, said Oliver Friedrichs, the senior manager for security response at Symantec Corp.

An early-warning network for the technology industry, operating with Homeland Security, notified companies that it received ``credible information'' about the planned attacks and already has detected surveillance probes by hackers looking for weaknesses in corporate and government networks.

``We emphasize that all Web site administrators should ensure that their sites are not vulnerable,'' wrote Peter Allor of Internet Security Systems Inc., the Atlanta-based company that runs the Information Technology Information Sharing and Analysis Center.

Friedrichs, though, said Symantec's global monitoring network wasn't detecting unusual probes.

``We really haven't seen any of that activity,'' he said. ``We're certainly going to keep watching and looking.''

Separately, the New York Office of Cyber-Security and Critical Infrastructure Coordination warned Internet providers and other organizations that the goal of the hackers was to vandalize 6,000 Web sites in six hours.

New York officials urged companies to change default computer passwords, begin monitoring Web site activities more aggressively, remove unnecessary functions from server computers and apply the latest software repairs from vendors such as Microsoft Corp.

Chris Rouland, director of the X-force security team at ISS, said researchers monitoring underground chat rooms and other Internet activity detected a drop in the numbers of vandalized Web sites recently and an increase in the types of surveillance scans that typically precede computer break-ins.

``It's kind of a sand-bagging period,'' said Rouland, who predicted that hackers were quietly breaking into computers and waiting to vandalize them on Sunday.

The purported ``prize'' for participating hackers was 500-megabytes of online storage space, which made little sense to computer experts. They said hackers capable of breaking into thousands of computers could easily steal that amount of storage on corporate networks.

Immortal

Re:Hackers plan massive attack this Sunday.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 03:18:47 PM »
damn, i ve ordered a lot of computer hardware from ebay recently, i hope my credit card info does'nt leak out to anyone or my dad would kill me.
"Tha Immortality of my Fame is the measure of others torture..."--GZA

JTSimon

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2003, 03:34:28 PM »
I'm gonna hack http://www.bushbeans.com for the recipe of their tasty baked beans.

UnstoppableForce

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 01:54:20 AM »
Damn, I wish I was a hacker.

mrtonguetwista

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2003, 07:52:02 PM »
Tomorrow's the day :o

The Watcher

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2003, 08:08:57 PM »
anyone who believes this deserves what they get .. its like

* on IRC *

<nick1> hey, lets hack a website this sunday!
<nick2> ok, lets do a couple

meanwhile, some bystander see's the convo in the channel and reports it to the police

* mass hack !!!!!!!!!!! *
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Jome

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2003, 10:30:09 PM »

* on IRC *

meanwhile, some bystander see's the convo in the channel and reports it to the police

Yeah, except that hacking 1-3 sites isn't as big as planned mass-hacks on 6000 sites, preferably on the biggest sites possible.

Suga Foot

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2003, 10:35:04 PM »
I've planned a massive attack on my penis in about 2 hours.

pappy

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2003, 01:04:35 AM »
so u plan on jackin off 2nite 2

The Watcher

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2003, 01:25:08 AM »

* on IRC *

Yeah, except that hacking 1-3 sites isn't as big as planned mass-hacks on 6000 sites, preferably on the biggest sites possible.

normally a 6000 site hack has all the sites on 3-4 machines
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Scarfacetony

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2003, 01:29:26 AM »