Author Topic: Notable White Players in the Rap Game  (Read 1300 times)

mrtonguetwista

Notable White Players in the Rap Game
« on: August 04, 2003, 06:27:19 PM »
Notable White Players in the Rap Game
By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY

A few of the white faces who have made a lasting impact on rap - for better or worse.

EMINEM - First white rapper to gain wide acceptance within the hip-hop community on the basis of his talent.

RICK RUBIN - Co-founder with Russell Simmons of the groundbreaking Def Jam record label; producer of early Run-DMC hits like ``King of Rock.''

THE BEASTIE BOYS - Brought middle America to the rap table with frat-boy attitude and wacky humor on their 1986 debut, ``Licensed to Ill.'' Their music, and audience, has since become more rock than rap.

3RD BASS - Never huge, but had a minor hit with 1989's ``The Gas Face'' and plenty of love from the rap community. Came across as white boys who wished they were black - even going so far as the denounce whites as devils in their lyrics.

VANILLA ICE - ``Ice Ice Baby'' shot to the top of the charts and remains a guilty pleasure to this day. But Ice was ridiculed by fellow rappers and critics, especially after falsely claiming to be from the ghetto. Still, his 1990 debut ``To the Extreme'' sold more than six million copies.

EVERLAST - Though he's gone through a few incarnations, including blues singer Whitey Ford, Everlast is most remembered for the 1992 party jam ``Jump Around'' with the group House of Pain.

BUBBA SPARXXX - There was nothing ugly about this Georgia rapper's success. A great farm-friendly video helped make ``Ugly'' one of the hottest rap songs of 2001.

LYOR COHEN - After starting as road manager for Run-DMC, Cohen quickly became a top executive and eventually co-owner of Def Jam Records. Is now arguably the most powerful executive in rap as chairman and CEO of the combined Island-Def Jam Records.

Jome

Re:Notable White Players in the Rap Game
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2003, 07:50:27 PM »
How about Alchemist, Mike Dean, Fred Wreck.. I bet there's more..

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2003, 08:04:22 PM »
Fred Wreck isn't white hes Palestinian.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2003, 08:07:49 PM »
3RD BASS - Never huge, but had a minor hit with 1989's ``The Gas Face'' and plenty of love from the rap community. Came across as white boys who wished they were black - even going so far as the denounce whites as devils in their lyrics.

nothing wrong with denounce whites as devils, many of them are. i am white & my lyrics contain the word Devil very often.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Jome

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2003, 09:00:04 PM »

Yellow or White.. same thang..  :P
Oh btw, I'm not White, I'm Norwegian.  8)

UnstoppableForce

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2003, 09:42:28 PM »
Haystak

Noon Bank$

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Bankin' It
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2003, 09:58:18 PM »

Yellow or White.. same thang..  :P
Oh btw, I'm not White, I'm Norwegian.  8)

That motha fucka got 2 dead catapillars above his eyes.

Suga Foot

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2003, 10:29:56 PM »
Rifkin?

pantherpower

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2003, 12:11:48 AM »
yo dem whites shouldnt even be rappin yo.dis be our musik we gots ta make everything ours!

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2003, 01:03:14 AM »
yo dem whites shouldnt even be rappin

aktually thatz true. them fukkerz finna try ta take over rap lyke they did rokk & pop
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2003, 01:13:20 AM »
lol panther power is probably white,lol

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

Don Breezio

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2003, 01:32:53 AM »
yo dem whites shouldnt even be rappin

aktually thatz true. them fukkerz finna try ta take over rap lyke they did rokk & pop

wow i never really realized how much of an idiot you were...i mean i had an idea cuz you said that fabolous and eve were the only good eastcoast artists...but i mean...holy shit...you really are just plain fucking stupid

OpTiCaL

• Cool As Ice Cube
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The DoN MeGa
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2003, 06:03:12 AM »
Im thinkin he's joking...

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2003, 06:11:02 AM »
Crisstyle from IV Life Records! Here are some pics, he's also in my sig...

He's workin' on his solo-album, look out for that!

D.R.E.-Dogg

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2003, 08:33:15 AM »
Mr. Doc, one of the white gangsta rappers who can say "nigga" more often than the average black rapper without anyone bitching