Author Topic: Kill Bill- 10 out of 10- Review  (Read 172 times)

UDollar A.K.A Nino

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm sorry you had to see me like that...
Kill Bill- 10 out of 10- Review
« on: August 14, 2003, 02:36:38 PM »
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/click/movie-10000663/reviews.php?critic=all&sortby=default&page=1&rid=1147452

Uhh, Enjoy................

starring  Uma Thurman , Michael Madsen , Daryl Hannah , David Carradine , Lucy Liu , Michael Jai White , Sonny Chiba , Chiaki Kuriyama , Vivacia A Fox , Chia Hui Liu , LaTanya Richardson  

written by  Quentin Tarantino  

directed by  Quentin Tarantino

---------------------------------------------------

Six years after Jackie Brown, Quentin Tarantino returns with Kill Bill, which reunites him with Pulp Fiction star Uma Thurman and indulges his love of 70s Asian action films. In a bold move from studio Miramax, the epic will be released in two parts

Things that will mess up your wedding day: no flowers, no groom, and -­ if you're Alanis Morissette - rain. But try being shot in the head by your lover while a team of assassins massacre the guests. That's the killer starting point for Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill, a bloody, 70s-style kung-fu revenge flick. The action takes place five years later when Uma Thurman's The Bride wakes from a coma with one thing on her mind: vengeance for the brain-blitzing bullet and the loss of the unborn child she was carrying at the time. Thus begins The Bride's globetrotting, blood-spilling mission to eliminate those responsible, making sure to save ex-boyfriend, ex-boss Bill (Carradine) for last.

Considering Kill Bill marks the end of Tarantino's six-year directing hiatus, the coma plot device seems particularly apt. Kill Bill started life as a series of late night discussions with Thurman while they were making Pulp Fiction but the superstar director put it on the back burner while he made the ill-fated Four Rooms. Delaying it again after Robert Rodriguez filmed Tarantino's vampire script From Dusk Till Dawn -­ he didn't want to do two exploitation-style movies in a row -­ he made the understated Jackie Brown next, then spent 18 months researching and writing Glorious Bastards, a 'Guys on a Mission' war epic. It was only after running into Thurman again that he got fired up about Kill Bill and decided to make both movies, one after the other. Spending two years crafting the action-heavy screenplay, Tarantino was all set to roll in 2001 when Uma Thurman's pregnancy forced another year-long delay. By June 2002, however, he was back behind the camera in Beijing, China.

Aside from lowering production costs, the Chinese shoot made it easier to assemble the region's top martial artists -­ including The Matrix choreographer Yuen Woo-Ping and Sonny Chiba, star of the Street Fighter triple-bill. The location also lent an authentic air for what is essentially Tarantino's homage to the old-school Asian martial arts movies he lapped up during his stint as an LA video store clerk. Shaw brother films like 1973's Five Fingers Of Death and 1967's One Armed Swordsman were required viewing for Oscar-winning cinematographer Bob Richardson (JFK) and Tarantino has made use of Japanese anime, flickery black-and-white shots and miniature model effects in the style of Godzilla. So why no CGI? "That shit looks good, but it looks like a computer did it," sniffs the director. "I'd rather have it look good and look like a cool 70s thing."

It's not just the camera-work that has a retro feel. The yellow tracksuit sported by Thurman is the same one worn by Bruce Lee in Game Of Death and those nostalgic for the West's first flirtation with chop-sockey in the 70s will get a kick out of the casting of David Carradine, star of cult 1972 TV series 'Kung Fu', as Bill. Stepping in after original choice Warren Beatty refused to commit, the 66 year old actor will be hoping Tarantino can work his career-revival magic like he did with John Travolta and Pam Grier.

Whether the upstart auteur can regain his own crown as the king of crazy-cool cinema is another matter. Smart money says there's at least one scene to silence sceptics. Featuring a Samurai sword-swinging Thurman dismembering 75 assassins; Tarantino has promised it will "be to kung fu fights what the Apocalypse Now 'Ride of the Valkyries' scene was to battle scenes."

Barely three months before its release, studio Miramax announced a plan to split the movie in half rather than revisit the trauma of Gangs Of New York, when honcho Harvey Weinstein did battle with director Martin Scorsese to get his epic down to a more manageable running time. Crafting a double-bill out of Kill Bill fits into pattern already laid down this year by the Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions, but one nagging doubt remains: when will we get to see the second part of Tarantino's long-awaited movie? Will distributors try to squeeze both installments out before Christmas, or will we have to wait well into 2004? Harvey Weinstein has indicated a preferred gap of between two and six months, whereas Tarantino is rumoured to prefer a gap of just five or six weeks in the serial. As soon as we find out, we'll let you know. Alistair Harkness

« Last Edit: August 14, 2003, 02:39:41 PM by NSDogg »
"I have loved you," says the LORD. "Yet you say, 'In what way have you loved us?' "Was not Esau Jacob's brother?" Says the LORD. "Yet Jacob I have loved" - Malachi 1:2

The final season of Lost - 2010

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:Kill Bill- 10 out of 10- Review
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 03:26:09 PM »
I really cant wait for this movie to come out

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 07:07:58 PM »
uhu

Blood Rain

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • flesh of my flesh, my blood is life
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2003, 09:12:43 PM »
cool 8)

UDollar A.K.A Nino

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm sorry you had to see me like that...
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2003, 05:33:07 AM »

« Last Edit: August 15, 2003, 05:34:44 AM by NSDogg »
"I have loved you," says the LORD. "Yet you say, 'In what way have you loved us?' "Was not Esau Jacob's brother?" Says the LORD. "Yet Jacob I have loved" - Malachi 1:2

The final season of Lost - 2010