Author Topic: 10 Commandments thingy in Alabama  (Read 307 times)

PinkTowelGirl

Re:10 Commandments thingy in Alabama
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2003, 07:25:16 PM »
who ever owns the building has the right to have it... even if it the state government.. or whatever... lol

Trauma-san

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2003, 08:48:48 PM »
tear the damn thing down...its a bunch of bull shit anyway...made up thousands of years ago to govern less intelligent people...and to think there are still some who believe it  ::)

See, you're still a child, because you don't have the ability to think like someone else does, or see things from any perspective but your own.  That's why you can't be fair about anything.  Your comments are useless.  

Trauma-san

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2003, 08:50:17 PM »

Also, by saying that no christian or jewish monument can be erected in a public building, isn't that in effect passing laws that limit our freedom to express belief in the christian or jewish religion?  Isn't that specifically word for word illegal according to the bill of rights?  Doesn't the constitution start out "We the people.... one nation, under god" ?  

In theory, you can only practice your religion in this country as long as it doesn't infringe upon the rights of other citizens.  Other citizens have the right not to believe in God, and therefore the Supreme Court desicion makes sense in relation to the Constitutional framework of this country.

By that logic, though, as I pointed out... you would have to ban every religious representation within the building, which includes the greek gods on the outside, and the athiest nothingness within the building.  You're looking at it from an impossible view point.

Trauma-san

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2003, 08:54:04 PM »
You guys aren't clearly seeing this.  

First off, to me it's not important either way.  I don't care if people have monuments to the 10 commandments, they're meant to be taught, by a preacher, a monument isn't going to help teach them or anything.  

The purpose of the monument was just a representation of justice, like the greek gods on the outside of the building.  Since the american government doesn't enforce hardly any of the 10 commandments like Mr. Loc said, how can a statue with them listed be viewed as a endorsement of any particular religion by the government?  It's simply a pretty monument, that represents one symbol of justice.  The 10 commandments have been a symbol of justice for thousands of years, just as like O said, Venus & the scales have been a symbol of justice for thousands of years.

I don't care if there's statues of Venus, so why would anybody care if there's a statue of the 10 commandments?  

Don Seer

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2003, 12:14:02 AM »
i guess the difference is that the roman gods arent worshipped anymore? :)

either that or that they have masonic significance.  ;)