Author Topic: Guest appearances...good or bad?  (Read 151 times)

Code Blue

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Guest appearances...good or bad?
« on: September 25, 2003, 01:38:56 PM »
What is y'all opinion on Westcoast artists having guests all over they albums. Would you rather a more solo album with just a few guests for a hook here and there or whatever, or would you rather have an album that features a grip of your favorite West Coast artists on it? I have my own feelings about this but I wanna C what y'all have to say first.

G-T

• Lil Geezy
  • I'm a llama!
Re:Guest appearances...good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 02:01:15 PM »
i would like to have sum guest apperences but not loaded with them, n it depends on who its is...

Danté Williams

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Diggie Dee aka Tha Preacher
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 02:02:09 PM »
IMO it depends on the artist. There are rappers that can carry a whole album by themselves and too many guest appearances can distract from the idea of the album or leave you in need of more rhyming from the main artist. There are others that need help to carry a whole cd

Nightfall

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2003, 03:12:18 PM »
IMO it depends on the artist. There are rappers that can carry a whole album by themselves and too many guest appearances can distract from the idea of the album or leave you in need of more rhyming from the main artist. There are others that need help to carry a whole cd

LAZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2003, 03:40:16 PM »
i think its tite if they keep it 2 a minimum and have there crew on it or record label but if its filled with people that have nuthin 2 do with the artist and theres only 2 solo songs on there solo album i dont like that

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2003, 04:31:39 PM »
I despise too many guest appearances. One or two guest appearances is perfect, maybe three at the max. And I hate when most of the guest appearances are by the main artists untalented homies.

I also hate skits (I wish they were never invented), intros and outros. I wish they still made albums like they did in the 80's. None of the above bullshit, just music.

DJ_Jay_Deee

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2003, 12:31:10 AM »
I despise too many guest appearances. One or two guest appearances is perfect, maybe three at the max. And I hate when most of the guest appearances are by the main artists untalented homies.

I also hate skits (I wish they were never invented), intros and outros. I wish they still made albums like they did in the 80's. None of the above bullshit, just music.

Couldn't of said iy better myself. Fuck skits, intros and too many guest appearences!!!!!!!

Da Hogg

• Lil Geezy
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2003, 10:38:13 AM »
Man I agree wit ya'll. The guest appearances have got to stop. Prime example is the Yuk: Godzilla album. Way too many muthafuckas guesting and it makes the album sound like a compilation. Intros and Outros are ok when they done right. But those fucking skits got to go...

mauzip

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2003, 10:40:27 AM »
I seriously don't give a fuck as long as the music's dope.

Trauma-san

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2003, 10:46:55 AM »
It's Bad, they oughta save that guest appearance crap for soundtracks and such, or group albums.  Sometimes it can be good, if it's consistant, like DJ Quik's Balance & Options had Mauseburg all over it, but it was good because he was almost like part of Quik's clique (well, I guess he was).  

I dunno, I guess it all comes down to quality.  Like, same album, Erick Sermon's on it, but it's HOT, so I didn't mind it.  

I think guests generally screw up the album more than they help it, though.  There's a few exceptions I guess though, like Nate Dogg is ALWAYS a welcome guest appearance on anything.  But really, why put Luda on a track?  Or Jay Z? I mean, they're good, but it's unnecessary.

The only reason they do this is

1. record companies PUSH for it, for name recognition
2. They just generally want to, they're friends with somebody and want them on their album

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2003, 11:08:37 AM »
There's nothing wrong with a FEW guest-appearances but I don't like that artists have guests on almost EVERY song. (There were way too many guest-appearances on Yuk's album Godzilla. I mean, it's still a tight album, but it would be better if there weren't so many guest MC's)

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2003, 12:54:13 PM »

Speak homie..
Saved me some typing time.
I feel that a million & 1 %

Hatesrats 2oooTre

Dr._Funkenstein

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2003, 01:50:16 PM »