Author Topic: LeBron James, Cavaliers ready to roll...  (Read 372 times)

PLANT

LeBron James, Cavaliers ready to roll...
« on: September 27, 2003, 10:32:25 AM »

CLEVELAND (AP) -- In a few days, LeBron James will start his first real job.

After a summer spent vacationing in Hawaii, attending the MTV awards in New York, the ESPYs in Los Angeles and filming TV commercials with Spike Lee and for Nike, it's almost time for Cleveland's hyped rookie to begin work.

"Come Tuesday," Cavaliers coach Paul Silas said in his Gund Arena office Friday. "He's mine."

For the first time in years, the Cavaliers opening training camp is big news. They can thank James for that.

The Akron high school superstar will move a step closer to the official start of his NBA career when the Cavaliers hold their first practice on Tuesday at the Gund.

Because of the attention on James, the club is bracing for a huge media contingent during the first week of two-a-day workouts.

Silas can't wait to get started.

"This is so exciting," he said. "For me, for the city, for everybody. Let's get going."

But even before holding his first practice, Silas has already changed his mind on starting the season with the 6-foot-8 James as his point guard.

Silas toyed with the idea of using James at the point during summer league games. But after seeing opponents overplay James to his right, forcing him to use his left hand, and knowing everything else that James will have to handle in his first season as a pro, Silas has changed his mind.

"There's going to be some much on him that he's gong to have to deal with," Silas said. "He's not ready, and he doesn't need the extra burden of being a point guard. He's got enough to carry already. It's not to say down the line that he won't play there."

During the offseason, the Cavaliers signed free agent Kevin Ollie and acquired J.D. Bremer in a trade with Boston. Both can play point guard.

Silas, though, said that even if James, who may be better suited for shooting guard or small forward, doesn't begin the season at the point it doesn't mean he won't end up there.

"He can handle it, no question," Silas said. "He can handle it right now. But I just don't want to put him in that situation right now."

Silas has been impressed with James, the No. 1 overall draft pick who has Cleveland fans buzzing about basketball like never before. Silas got a chance to work with James this summer, but not nearly as much as he would have liked.

James, who has an endorsement deal with Nike worth over $90 million, has had so many non-basketball commitments that Silas hasn't seen that much of him.

"He has the work ethic," Silas said. "He wants to learn and he wants to do well. The only problem has been all the stuff that he has had to do. The MTV thing here, off to this, off to that. But now it's time for basketball."

Hack Wilson - real

Re: LeBron James, Cavaliers ready to roll...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 06:51:06 PM »
 8)

Remedy360

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 07:00:47 PM »
That Cavs team they had early in the season before shipping people out was one of the most fun 2K teams of all time.

PG-LeBron
SG- Ricky Davis
SF- Darius Miles
PF- Carlos Boozer
C- Big Z

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:37:35 AM »
Boozer was such a retard to leave for Utah

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 02:45:33 PM »
lebron probably never would have left if boozer had stayed.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 05:54:44 PM »
That Cavs team they had early in the season before shipping people out was one of the most fun 2K teams of all time.

PG-LeBron
SG- Ricky Davis
SF- Darius Miles
PF- Carlos Boozer
C- Big Z

That was back when all you had to do was drive to basket with LeBron, with the other team's PG guarding him & drop 70.