Author Topic: Buddy Holly  (Read 180 times)

Trauma-san

Buddy Holly
« on: September 27, 2003, 06:53:39 PM »
Buddy Holly was one of the early pioneers of Rock & Roll.  In 1955, Elvis came through his home town of Lubbuck, Texas, and Buddy (who had been playing bluegrass) decided immediately that Rock & Roll was the way to go.  He learned how to play guitar, and started writing songs.

He named his band "The Crickets" after he decided he didn't like his original idea, "The Beetles"... .the "Beatles" later took his name, "The Crickets", and made their own version of it (ironically, choosing his first choice for a name).  

He heavily influenced the beatles, and is probably the reason that Paul and John started playing music, he showed them that ANYBODY could make music if this guy could get away with it.

His guitar work was light years ahead of his time, his writing skills were amazing, he was the first to double track overdubs on songs, he was the first rock and roller to use violins in songs, he was truly amazing.  

Unfortunately, barely 1 year after he became famous with his first big hit "Maybe Baby", the plane he chartered from a gig wrecked 2 miles off the runway, killing himself, the pilot, the 'big bopper' and Richie Valens.  

Only a month before, he had held his last recording session, recording the AMAZING 'true love ways', along with 'It doesn't matter anymore', probably his best two songs, and the only songs he was ever able to record in Stereo.  

What a loss, this guy was dripping with talent, it'd be the equivalent of snoop dying 2 weeks after "Doggystyle" was released.  Shit, it's worse than that.  There really isn't any comparison with anyone around now that I know of, this guy was so fresh and creative he would have been bigger than the beatles or anyone else that came along, if he was given more time.  Oh well, just thought I'd share.  

Trauma-san

Re:Buddy Holly
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2003, 06:55:18 PM »
Unfortunately, that's him lying to the left of that picture ^^^ above this.... sad, sad, sad.  

Sven

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • gangsta of art
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2003, 02:02:58 PM »
Great musician, no doubt. Do u know the track "Buddy Holly" by Weezer? Nice track too...
Drop down, do the eagle, fuck that Real gangstas just pull up they pants and lean back! - www.svenellerbrock.de

PLANT

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2003, 02:16:53 PM »
Ive heard his name in a Weezer song before....Other than that, I never knew much about him....

Thanks for the info  ;)

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2003, 03:37:53 PM »
Yea, that weezer song is a good song, they're a great band.  

BTW, another thing most people don't know about this guy is, he wasn't a geek... he just wore the glasses because he didn't give a shit about what he looked like.  

pappy

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2003, 03:50:47 PM »
i remember the richie valens movie.  it was dope he had that hot song what was it called.  an richie had the flu when the plane crashed

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2003, 03:52:18 PM »
Richie Valens' two big hits were "La Bamba" and "Donna".  Man, they played that song "Sleepwalk" when his brothers were working on their car, and they announced over the radio he had died, then played that song, I always remember that scene.  

pappy

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2003, 03:54:08 PM »
LA BAMBA THATS THE JOINT RIGHT THERE IMMA DOWNLOAD IT NOW

M-O-Z-04

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2003, 06:19:55 AM »
didnt richie valens also hav a song called tell laura i love her?
The boss wants U dead then its off with ur head
especially a bitch nigga that talks 2 da feds
especially a bitch nigga that walks with da feds
2 avoid shows coz niggaz about 2 toss him sum lead -Yukmouth

Trauma-san

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2003, 04:45:53 PM »
Nah, Richie Valens only had 2 hits, "Donna" (I had a girl, donna was her name... since she left me, I've never been the same...), and "La Bamba".

That song was by another guy, can't remember his name, he was a one hit wonder.  Pretty good song though, but a little whiny.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2003, 06:32:13 PM »
yea weezer is good