Author Topic: Just saw Malcolm X last night - some thoughts  (Read 1299 times)

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Re:Just saw Malcolm X last night - some thoughts
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2003, 01:21:06 PM »
Wll since im not Muslim and black like you, I feel like I wouldnt appreciate it as much as you did. Know what i mean?
I know what you mean, except that I'm not Black. I mean not at all, I'm about as White-skinned as it gets, can't even get a good tan.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2003, 01:22:55 PM »
Yeah, I've seen it and thought Denzel did a wonderful acting job.  The things I wonder about, though, are whether or not this is how he really is, or if Hollywood just made a mountain out of a man, like they usually do.  
No, that's definetly not exagerated. He really was that great, you should listen to his speeches & read some books on him like I did and you'll see how accurate it is.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Don Seer

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2003, 01:48:18 PM »
yeah i've got this on dvd.. really good movie.

infinite59

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2003, 01:56:45 PM »
It's a great movie, here's some thoughts I had though:

-The scene with the revolver is amazing
-It oddly enough doesn't show his siblings, who were influential getting him into the NOI, and his sister who funded his hajj to Mecca
-Denzel looks exactly like Malcolm with glasses on but when he takes them off he doesn't
-The NOI must have been really pissed at that movie
-The hajj is talked about at a press conference in the movie but from what I've read only his wife and a few close associates knew about it
-That scene when the reporters ask him if all Whites are Devils and he says he has to go, and gets an odd look on his face was accurate from what I've read about his doubts about that NOI teaching
-I've never read about Shorty before & I think he was made up for the movie
-Elijah Mohammed's son isn't in the movie at all which is odd, same with Farrakhan not being in it
-There are a lot of references to the Bible but only a few to the Qu'ran. I don't know if that's how the NOI actually works or if that's just for the movie

Anyone agreeing/disagreeing with my thoughts, please respond here.

It's my favorite movie and it was the first thing I ever saw about Islam.  I had heard when I was 10, during the gulf war, that Muslims were the brainwashed people in Iraq who were trained to kill themselves at age 14, that they prayed 5 times a day, and that women would get beat up for looking at men.... I was also told that Malcolm X was a violent man, who wanted to achieve everything through violence....

Anyway, I saw the movie when I was 14.  After watching that movie I've always thought highly of Islam.

Btw,

-That Hajj press confrence is real, I have a Malcolm tape with interviews, I've seen the real one

-Shorty is based on a real person from his life

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2003, 03:25:45 PM »
-That Hajj press confrence is real, I have a Malcolm tape with interviews, I've seen the real one

-Shorty is based on a real person from his life

Didn't know about those, props on the info. I never read about Shorty in any books, but then again I haven't read his Autobiography (gotta order it off the net since I haven't found a copy yet).

Paris

Trauma-san

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2003, 10:09:51 PM »
I've tried to discuss civil rights history on here before, nobody gives a shit.  I didn't even hardly get any replies to my topic about Emmitt Till, and when I made a post on Martin Luther King day, nobody gave a shit.  I guess I'm white, so my opinions or thoughts or respect doesn't count.  

actually i've heard quite a bit about Emmitt Till and i have never known what exactly happened to him...can someone give me a bit of info on him? cuz i'm really interested in that...sadly trauma i agree with you...being white i dont think anyone would take our opinions on these subjects seriously.

emmitt till was a black kid from chicago (don't quote me on that he was from a northern state, i'm pretty sure he was from chicago but i kinda forgot) he went to stay with relatives over the summer in the south and when him and his cousin went into a store he saw a white girl he thought was fine and said something like "hey baby"  and she told her dad and the whole white community was outraged that a black kid would say something like that to a white girl......so the cops or kkk (all in the same  ;) ) whoooped the living shit out of him , so much that his face was unreconizable  and suprisingly enough he was still alive and they shot him in the face. they dumbped him in the river and to make a long story short these white people were put on trial to an all white jury in the south and were found innocent despite overwelming evidence against them. in protest emmitts mom  held a open casket funeral for her son (messed up face and all).

That's mostly correct.  The girl he called out to though was the store owner's wife, not his daughter.  The store owner & one of his friends (no police were involved) went in the middle of the night and got the boy out of bed from his relatives house, took him to one of their barns and beat him to death.  They burned his clothes and threw him in the river.  When his mom had the open casket funeral, they printed pictures of his face in Jet magazine, and it effectively helped launch the civil rights movement, people up north didn't realize that this kind of thing was happening in the south.  Very Traumatic story.  Of course I'm just a racist white guy that listens to Rush Limbaugh, what would I know, right?

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2003, 10:16:25 PM »
sickening.
Yeah, those southern crackers really are.

so are those damn camel jockies who bomb innocent people

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Don Breezio

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2003, 10:18:56 PM »
I've tried to discuss civil rights history on here before, nobody gives a shit.  I didn't even hardly get any replies to my topic about Emmitt Till, and when I made a post on Martin Luther King day, nobody gave a shit.  I guess I'm white, so my opinions or thoughts or respect doesn't count.  

actually i've heard quite a bit about Emmitt Till and i have never known what exactly happened to him...can someone give me a bit of info on him? cuz i'm really interested in that...sadly trauma i agree with you...being white i dont think anyone would take our opinions on these subjects seriously.

emmitt till was a black kid from chicago (don't quote me on that he was from a northern state, i'm pretty sure he was from chicago but i kinda forgot) he went to stay with relatives over the summer in the south and when him and his cousin went into a store he saw a white girl he thought was fine and said something like "hey baby"  and she told her dad and the whole white community was outraged that a black kid would say something like that to a white girl......so the cops or kkk (all in the same  ;) ) whoooped the living shit out of him , so much that his face was unreconizable  and suprisingly enough he was still alive and they shot him in the face. they dumbped him in the river and to make a long story short these white people were put on trial to an all white jury in the south and were found innocent despite overwelming evidence against them. in protest emmitts mom  held a open casket funeral for her son (messed up face and all).

That's mostly correct.  The girl he called out to though was the store owner's wife, not his daughter.  The store owner & one of his friends (no police were involved) went in the middle of the night and got the boy out of bed from his relatives house, took him to one of their barns and beat him to death.  They burned his clothes and threw him in the river.  When his mom had the open casket funeral, they printed pictures of his face in Jet magazine, and it effectively helped launch the civil rights movement, people up north didn't realize that this kind of thing was happening in the south.  Very Traumatic story.  Of course I'm just a racist white guy that listens to Rush Limbaugh, what would I know, right?

ok, good to have the facts straight...props to both of you

kottonmouthninja

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2003, 11:04:07 PM »
o shit someone said you looked liek this Licolen,

LMA0 its TIMMAY!!!!!

Don Breezio

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2003, 11:08:15 PM »
o shit someone said you looked liek this Licolen,

LMA0 its TIMMAY!!!!!

where the fuck did that come from? post that bullshit in a stupid thread

kottonmouthninja

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2003, 11:21:06 PM »
yeah like one of yours lol

Don Breezio

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2003, 11:23:48 PM »
yeah like one of yours lol

yes exactly...like one of mine...go post in the "Holy Shit" thread...a thread about taco bell that already has 2 pages...really says alot for the board doesnt it.

UnstoppableForce

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2003, 12:01:36 AM »
sickening.
Yeah, those southern crackers really are.

so are those damn camel jockies who bomb innocent people

So are those beaners who killed their own fuckin kids and buried them in the forest. They give birth to kids for welfare money and shit and when they find a job they kill their kids.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2003, 12:07:45 AM »
oh man i love the power i have over you! ;D

you're sooooooo easily offended....i can toy with your emotions like i can snap my fingers.

lol everyone point and laugh at the board biggest tool.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Don Breezio

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2003, 12:14:47 AM »
oh man i love the power i have over you! ;D

you're sooooooo easily offended....i can toy with your emotions like i can snap my fingers.

lol everyone point and laugh at the board biggest tool.

i'd get pissed too...you're basically blaming an entire race over something that only a small group of them did... ::)