Author Topic: JayZ's goodbye concert: A Night to Remember.  (Read 167 times)

PLANT

JayZ's goodbye concert: A Night to Remember.
« on: November 27, 2003, 06:26:24 AM »
Something magical happened at Madison Square Garden last night. No, the Knicks didn't trade for Lebron James. Nor did the Rangers relive their 1994 triumph. Jay-Z took a sold-out crowd on one last ride through his storied career of woes, triumphs and loves.

After Funkmaster Flex warmed up the crowd, boxing announcer Michael Buffer introduced "the undisputed champion of hip-hop" with his trademark "let's get ready to rumble!" So Jay did. A white Roc-A-Fella basketball jersey rose to the rafters to take its place amongst Willis Reed and Clyde Frazier. Appearing in the middle of the stage, dressed in a blazer with a Biggie Smalls t-shirt, Jigga opened the night with "What More Can I Say." "PSA" and "Jigga my ni99a" were accompanied with fireworks with Jay jumping up and down like a lotto winner. Jay's protégé Memphis Bleek helped his mentor shake asses on "ni99a Who, ni99a What" and on the ground moving "Can I Get A." The ?uestlove-led Roots band returned to back the "smartest backpacker" on his last go round in NYC.

"Who bought the Black Album in New York City?," asked Jay. He then went into the Timbaland-produced "Dirt Off Your Shoulder." His mike control, breath control, crowd control would have made Rakim proud. If Jay brushed some dirt off his shoulder, they did. If he threw a dynasty sign up, they did.

"Hova!" the public clamored. They needed one more hit, one more fix. Jay didn't disappoint. He dished off hit after hit. "Change Clothes" with Pharrell, "Big Pimpin'," "Hard Knock Life," "Song Cry" with Mary J. Blige, "Ain't No ni99a" with a surprise appearance by Foxy Brown.

Halfway through the concert, Jay honored the game fallen god emcees like Biggie, 2Pac, Big Pun, Jam Master Jay, Big L and the late Aaliyah with excerpts of "Missing You," "Hail Mary" and "Hypnotize." Afeni Shakur and Voletta Wallace both were presented with checks for their respective sons' memorial funds by Jay-Z.

As Jay-Z praised the past he also presented the future of the Roc. Beanie Sigel, Freeway, Young Chris & Neef, M.O.P. all made appearances while their flamboyant co-owner Damon Dash danced his way into a frenzy with Armadale Vodka in hand. After a crowd-pleasing performance of "Is That Your beeyatch?" with Missy Elliot and Twista, the only person capable of stealing the spotlight from Jay last night appeared in a sparkling black dress. Beyonce took the stage to perform "Crazy in Love" with Jay and "Summertime" with a wallaby wearing Ghostface Killah.

The night didn't go on without its bumps. As Jay, who changed clothes several times, threw his Frank Sinatra hat into the crowd as he went threw a slew of cuts of Reasonable Doubt, a scuffle erupted.

Beyond the skirmish, Jay's night didn't close without a vision of what could have been. The embattled R. Kelly joined Jay on stage, both dressed in virginal white, to receive female shrieks and hard rock head nods. With the exception of Foxy, Missy and Twista, all of Jay's friends performed some of their tricks while the MC took a breather.

For his last song Jay donned a Kenyon Martin basketball jersey and told his crowd that he is in "serious negotiations" to bring the Nets to Brooklyn. Illuminated by lighters and cell phone lights, Jigga ended his victorious night with "December 4th" with his mother telling of the Sean Carter she only knows.

Alas last night Jay-Z was Biggie, Pac, Pun, Rakim, and Big Daddy Kane all in one and then some. Last night, like the past seven summers, New York City was his town.

Sounds fucking dope, I woulda loved to been there but Im guessing tickets were mad $$$....

N-Sane Brain

Re:JayZ's goodbye concert: A Night to Remember.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 08:27:18 AM »
Sounds great - I would've loved to be there too. It's also very tight that he ended the beef with Fox'. Imagine if Nas would've entered the stage to perform a brand-new collabo with Jigga 8)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 08:29:39 AM by The T'cha »

eNgIeS

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2003, 05:40:49 PM »
I wonder if they're gonna make this into a DVD. Would be dope if they did for real

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2003, 08:17:20 PM »
sounds good...but i doubt his rap career is over