Author Topic: who else thinks "speakerboxx/tlb" sucks?  (Read 647 times)

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:who else thinks "speakerboxx/tlb" sucks?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2004, 05:25:17 PM »
Big Boi's album was NOT good. He should've took more time on it. It sounded forced.

Dre's album was wonderful. I don't skip one track on it. You have to like music to like that. You have to have an open mind. Dre's disc was enough to make both albums one of the best of the year.
i agree
big bois album was ok...but there is no difference to any other outkast/Killer mike cds

Trauma-san

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2004, 05:31:48 PM »
I agree, album was horrible.  Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should, lol.  And Just because your shit sounds different, doesn't mean it's good.  Just because you have some half-ass attempt at aconcept album, doesn't mean it's a masterpiece. If you compare this shit to the things like this people have tried in the past, it's unbelievably shallow and sounds like shit.  

Trauma-san

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2004, 05:35:43 PM »

i wouldn't say he had 'the balls to make it' - he knew damn well that if he said three words on the whole album, people were gonna buy it no matter what. he didn't have to do shit, didn't have to put in any effort for this album whatsoever because people were gonna eat it up. if i could make a record and know damn well i was gonna get paid for it no matter what i said, i don't think i woulda put that much effor into it, and maybe i'd say some real simple stuff, and some real silly metaphors and people would think it's profound and artistic and genius and (all the other adjectives they use to describe tlb). i don't think it's what people make it out to be, you know? i don't think it's him, and i don't think it's really artistic. maybe he just wanted to see how far he could go before people started saying 'wait a minute, i've heard kindergarten kids say more profound stuff than this' or 'i've heard children play better music than this.'

i love music. all music. i've got probably one of the most eclectic album collections out of anyone i know. i listen to everything. i'm not saying that i don't still listen to this disc. there are some tracks on there that i do love, and i listen to them. i'm just saying i think it's their worst record, and they should have worked together on it.

Oh shit, somebody else finally agrees with me.  You're exactly, 100% right.  Nothing he did was groundbreaking, it was just him making whatever the fuck fell out of his mouth, and then calling it art.  I can record myself sleeping, and then overdub an orchestra playing Beethoven's 5th, it wouldn't be genius.  If I was Andre, though, everybody would be saying "OH MY GOD, I CANT BELIEVE HE DID THIS!!! ALBUM OF THE YEAR!!!! ALBUM OF THE YEAR!!!" The truth is, like I said, if you compare his 'concept' album to other concept albums that have came out in the past, his shit is NOTHING.  And all the shit about "OH MY GOD, ITS SO DEEP!!!" Bullshit.  "Music is a woman" .  Haven't heard that one before.  Please.  

Dip Set Movementarian 4 Life

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2004, 06:09:21 PM »
Oh my god this is so funny...I was just about to make this same exact thread....I think it is a horrible CD...Thanks...

JTSimon

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2004, 06:16:41 PM »
Shitty album...both CDs sucked IMO.

Code Blue

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2004, 07:53:29 PM »
I didn't like it, but then again I'm not an Outkast fan. Only trac I actually felt was "Hey Ya".

Kaidy

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2004, 07:59:18 PM »
Speakerboxx was aight, had a few good tracks.

Love Below was my favorite album of 2003. Not tryna disrespect anybodys opinion but I thought the album was incredibly creative, original, introspective, all the shit music should be. In a time where music is so stagnant and generic, this was a real shot in the arm, or ear.

I can understand that its not traditonal Outkast (whatever you think that is), or that it's just too out-there for some people, but to be honest its not even that weird, just weird for a rapper. If Prince put out this album everyone would be like yea okay whatever. I think you have to respect Andre just for doing something so personal. I really dont buy that he just did it 'because he could'. Outkast always seemed like some real musicians to me, not some money-hungry media whores.

MY Album Of The Year  :)

SGV

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2004, 08:41:00 PM »
Trauma, Love Below IS original. In Hip Hop, how many people have made an album like this? Not many, if any at all. Yes, concept albums have been made in Hip Hop, but never with all these styles mixed into one. And, don't try to label me as an Andre dickrider, which you're trying to do to everyone indirectly. I haven't liked Dre since Southernplayalistic, so for me to give him props is major. The album was great.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2004, 04:23:21 AM »
I feel like killing Trauma.

The Predator

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2004, 05:42:11 AM »
I listened to some of the songs on this double lp and dont know what the fuss is all about. Ill give it another listen.

I see this album is gonna win big awards, white critics over the age of 30 are loving it, saying its creative unlike the rest of hip hop and Outkast have more less abandoned hip hop for the better, artists are gonna start to leave hip hop and start doing rock music like Outkast blah blah blah... We know what happened to Cypress Hill when they went all out rock, even they are returning back to hip hop.

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2004, 06:35:24 AM »
Trauma, Love Below IS original. In Hip Hop, how many people have made an album like this? Not many, if any at all. Yes, concept albums have been made in Hip Hop, but never with all these styles mixed into one. And, don't try to label me as an Andre dickrider, which you're trying to do to everyone indirectly. I haven't liked Dre since Southernplayalistic, so for me to give him props is major. The album was great.

sorry, but i'm gonna go with trauma on this one - in hip hop, it IS somewhat original, or different, whatever you want to say. but in relation to ALL music, this album is nothing more than another elvis costello release or a quentin tarantino soundtrack. or another prince release. andre doesn't even consider himself a HIP HOP ARTIST anymore - read the recent (last few months) source, xxl, and vibe interviews.

i think what i was trying to say is that
in order for hip hop to be taken seriously by the rest of the adults and grown-ups of our generation, people have to come out with better albums than the love below. i think that dude was correct in saying "the over 30 crowd loves this cd" or something like that. i don't think that this is a good hip hop album, and i really don't think it's a good album, musically speaking. like i said before, any of those guitar riffs or drum beats are rudimentary and can be played by even the simplest beginner.

this has caused quite the debate too, and i appreciate all the opinions. i know that none of us are going to change our minds on this subject, mostly because we all have different preferences...i just happen to think TLB and Speakerboxxx are the worst outkast albums released, period.  ;D

Trauma-san

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2004, 07:19:56 AM »
In the end, people can like what they want, but you know what? Chalk it up to personal opinion, don't try to tell us Outkast's album is creative or genius, it ain't shit, lol.  I love outkast, but this album is horrible.  Like Platinum mentioned, Prince alone shits all over this album, and there's many peole that shit allover Prince.  

N-Sane Brain

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2004, 08:28:40 AM »
"Speakerboxxx" was an average rap-album, nothing that I listened often to again after a few days of bumpin'. And concernin' "The Love Below":

I thought the album was incredibly creative, original, introspective, all the shit music should be...

...but it wasn't the type of music I like though. So I'm one of those people who dislike "The Love Below", but I've no problem to agree that it was one of the most creative albums last year.

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2004, 10:07:05 AM »
Big Boi's album was NOT good. He should've took more time on it. It sounded forced.

Dre's album was wonderful. I don't skip one track on it. You have to like music to like that. You have to have an open mind. Dre's disc was enough to make both albums one of the best of the year.

I AGREE 151% about every word rite above me...

And 2 tha idiots sayin The Love Below had simple lil guitar riffs etc...please quit speakin outta yo ass...Start actually producin tracks and then U have a right 2 say anything bout how simple it is 2 do shit like that....

and I disagree wit Trauma 2 tha fullest....like he said
Chalk it up to personal opinion
exactly....thanx for yur opinion Trauma....but NO!

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2004, 11:58:46 AM »
i thaught it was amazing and the best album of 2003

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?