Author Topic: Trauma suggests another Artist you MAY be sleeping on  (Read 360 times)

Trauma-san

Trauma suggests another Artist you MAY be sleeping on
« on: January 13, 2004, 02:46:59 PM »
I'm sure many of you aren't... but I'll bet a bunch of you are.  Frank Sinatra.  One of the greatest entertainers of all time, plus, he was a gangster, with ties to the mob, lol, that ought to make him cool enough for you guys.  He started singing in the damn 30's or something, by the 60's, he was an old act, but just kept going, recording all the way up into the 90's.  He had literally dozens of great great songs, I'll list a few if you want to check any out.  Don't think they're all gonna be cheezy, either, some of them are some classic stuff that's original, and will always be great no matter who's listening to it.  

"I get a kick out of you" - there's about 10 different versions of this, some with the line "Some may go for cocaine, I know, that if I took, even one sniff, it would bore, me terrifically... I get a kick out of you" good song

"Fly Me to the Moon" - probably his best song, produced by a young Quincy Jones.  perfect 10 out of 10 in every way.

"It was a very good year" - great song, recorded in the 60's, and in the song, he says "I'm in the autumn of the year".... dude thought he was about done with, and then went on to bigger and better things.  He's been huge, biggest in the game, about 3 different times.  Song tells the story about his life when he was 17, 21, and 35, or something like that.  Of course it's not about him, lol, but it's a good song.

"Love and Marriage" - otherwise known as the theme song to "Married with Children", one of his tongue in cheek looks at love.  

"I've got you under my skin" - another one of his greatest songs, nearly perfect, smooth shit.  If you haven't heard this, smack yourself.  The version with Bono from U2 is great, too.

"Strangers in the Night" - another orchestra piece, with a big band behind him ,this is when he owned music.

"Summer Wind" - another perfect track.  Beautifully orchestrated, his voice is amazing on this, he just has so much clout when he sings. Count Basie & His orchestra back him up.

"That's Life" - Frank famously recorded his vocals in 1 take.  When he came in with a new, young producer, he sang it in his typical swingy, cool style.  The producer had the nerve to ask Frank, the biggest star in the world, to record a second take of his vocals (which Frank took as an insinuation that the first take wasn't any good).  Frank decided to piss on the producer, and sang the whole song over the top, with a really braggadocio swing to it, almost half-assing the whole thing.  Tha'ts the take they released, lol it sounds great, like he's pissed at everybody.  Unbelievable song.

"My Way" - I've never really liked this song, but it's influence is huge, this is probably the most famous Frank Sinatra song, and a metaphor for his life, he did everything his way, and as such a huge star, never had to do anything he didn't want to.

"New York, New York" - the famous "Start spreadin' , the news" song... another of his most famous ones.

"Young at heart" - almost sounds like a song for a disney movie, very sweet and child like, fitting with the "young at heart" theme.  

"Witchcraft" - timeless song, about how this woman affects him.  Just, a, perfect, song.  Almost everything Frank did was perfect.  Amazing.

"Nice N' Easy" - again, Frank takes the title of the song as a literal expression of how the song should go.  Another classic, very laid back and just perfectly executed.

"Forget Domani" - actually the songs about forgetting the money, it's a little play on words, with the song meaning a trip to domani, but he's also talking about ignoring that they don't have any money.  Great song, with a different type of feel to it.

"Something Stupid" - a duet with his daughter, Nancy Sinatra.  Great, Great, Great song.  Can't say enough about it, he honestly was 1 of a kind.

"This Town" - kind of upbeat number with a swing orchestra behind him.  Frank strutting his stuff.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's just a few if you're interested at all.  You should know about this man, it'll give you a deeper appreciation of music, and even life. Unfortunately, he couldn't hang on forever, he passed away a few years ago, but lived a long wonderful life.

PLANT

Re:Trauma suggests another Artist you MAY be sleeping on
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 02:56:15 PM »
Trauma my friend, you must be on some real pimp shit listenin to the great Frank Sinatra...

Thats wicked man.  You know your fuckin music boy!

Nightfall

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 02:56:43 PM »
i dont mind his shit, my dad's a big fan, i listen to it when hes listenin to frank sinatra, im nto a fan myself tho

its not like i feel limitted cause im into hip-hop tho, some are close-minded cause they want to be considered "hip-hop heads" so they feel that if they would bump somethin else, they wouldnt be hip-hop heads anymore, wich is sad IMO

Frank Sinatra's daughter "Nancy Sinatra" did a fucking dope song tho "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)", i loved it when i heard it on kill bill, and immidiately downloaded it, cool shit, i wonder if she did more songs like that

The Big Bad Ass

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 03:53:57 PM »
Sinatra and Marvin Gaye are my favorite 2 singers to listen to. I've got like 4 different greatest hits cds of Frank and there aren't hardly any duplicate tracks on those. THATS how you know you have hits :)

Witchcraft is my fave Sinatra track fa sho.

pappy

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 04:03:17 PM »
he had ties to the gambino family ive seen pics with him an carlo.  hes a pimp tho.  he got arrested when he was 17-18 for sleeping with a married woman lol

PLANT

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 04:21:34 PM »
he had ties to the gambino family ive seen pics with him an carlo.  hes a pimp tho.  he got arrested when he was 17-18 for sleeping with a married woman lol
LOL, now thats some Pimp Shit!

HIPPI

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 04:51:57 PM »
Thanks Trauma. Props on your post.

bez

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 05:00:59 PM »
Its all about BILLY JOEL and the BEACH BOYS though.

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2004, 05:07:58 PM »
props trauma, you know ya music well.

sinatra was great. my grandpa is really into him

pappy

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2004, 05:38:40 PM »

billy joel is a fuckin scum bag but thats b/c hes from hicksville long island so he can go fuck his motha along with every1 else that lives there

Trauma-san

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2004, 06:02:37 PM »
i dont mind his shit, my dad's a big fan, i listen to it when hes listenin to frank sinatra, im nto a fan myself tho

its not like i feel limitted cause im into hip-hop tho, some are close-minded cause they want to be considered "hip-hop heads" so they feel that if they would bump somethin else, they wouldnt be hip-hop heads anymore, wich is sad IMO

Frank Sinatra's daughter "Nancy Sinatra" did a fucking dope song tho "Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)", i loved it when i heard it on kill bill, and immidiately downloaded it, cool shit, i wonder if she did more songs like that

Her biggest song was "Boots", which is in the same vein... classic, and kind of sexy type stuff like Bang Bang... it goes "These boots are made for walkin', and that's just what they'll do... one of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you" it's got a really spooky eerie sound almost, like Bang Bang

Trauma-san

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2004, 06:03:20 PM »

Hell yeah, lol.

Trauma-san

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2004, 06:09:55 PM »
Here's another 2 stories about Sinatra, since Tom mentioned the mob connection.

Sinatra was HUGE, Elvis, Michael Jackson huge.  In the early 60's, he had the Rat Pack that I'm sure everybody's heard of.  Anyways, he knew the president of the united states, John Kennedy.  They talked on the phone a lot, Kennedy was a fan of his, they were friends, etc.  ANYWAYS, Sinatra wanted Kennedy to come stay with him at his house, on a presidential vacation.  He built a heliport so he could land, and then built a guest house on his property, ALL for Kennedy... solely for Kennedy.  He had little gold name tags on the doors and everything, lol I mean it was a complete, class-act resort he built at his house, so Kennedy could come stay with him.

News started breaking that John Kennedy was connected to the mob... so, since everybody knew that Sinatra was, it wouldn't do for Kennedy to be seen with Sinatra.  The white house called and said that Kennedy wouldn't be able to make the trip, and nobody knew who would tell Sinatra.  Finally, they drew straws, and this guy in the Rat Pack (one of the guy's you never hear about) went up to Frank, and told him what was going on.  Frank never spoke to the man again, and kicked him out of the rat pack, just for telling him the bad news.  He took a sledgehammer and busted the heliport up into a million pieces, and put holes in all the walls of the guest house, breaking all the doors & windows.  He went fucking nuts.

Another crazy story is, I saw an old interview with him one time.  He was at a restaurant eating dinner with a woman, and this photographer came up to him trying to take his picture and shit.  He didn't want his picture taken, and the guy kept fucking around, so Frank got up and knocked the guy out in the middle of the Restauraunt!  I think he ended up getting arrested for it, or whatever, but this interview I saw... they told him the guy had just DIED (it was 10 years after the incident) and asked Frank if he had any thoughts about that... he basically looked at the guy (I think it was Walter Cronkite) and told him that he didn't regret it, and if he had it to do all over again, he would have done the same thing.  Cold motherfucker.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2004, 06:15:07 PM »

Her biggest song was "Boots", which is in the same vein... classic, and kind of sexy type stuff like Bang Bang... it goes "These boots are made for walkin', and that's just what they'll do... one of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you" it's got a really spooky eerie sound almost, like Bang Bang
those songs are cool, frank is cool too

Suga Foot

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2004, 11:01:09 PM »
maaaaaan, being from an Italian family, I grew up with that all around me.  Frank, Dean Martin, Joey Bishop ect.  I know all they're songs.