Author Topic: LYNYRD SKYNYRD  (Read 139 times)

Trauma-san

LYNYRD SKYNYRD
« on: January 27, 2004, 03:55:54 PM »
LOL I had to post this.  

I dunno if yall know who Lynyrd Skynyrd was, but they did that song "Sweet Home Alabama" who most people have heard.  If you like that song, you'd probably like a bunch more of their stuff, they were an awesome band.  

Ronnie Van Zandt, pictured at left, was the lead singer, and together with his brothers had a band in High School.  they kept getting in trouble for violating the dress code, and eventually dropped out of school rather than cut their hair.  This was in the early 70's.  They had a show not long after, and joked on stage that they were going to change the name of the their band to a coach's name at their high school who used to get them in trouble all the time... Leonard Skinner.  The name stuck, they changed some letters around, and got famous.

The basis of their music is southern blues based rock and roll.  Ronnie's idol was legendary black blues pioneer, Robert Johnson.  

One of their early songs was called "Simple Man" about basically southern red-necks and poor people who lived a simple southerner's life... Neil Young wrote a song called "Southern Man" in which he portrayed the southerners in the country in a negative light, and Ronnie Van Zandt responded by writing "Sweet Home Alabama", one of the first "Diss Songs" if you will, lol.  "Well I heard Neil Young sing about us... Yeah, I heard ol' Neil put us down... Well, I hope Neil Young can remember... that a Southern Man don't need him around, anyhow..."

Their other big hit was "Freebird", with it's awesome bluesy guitar solo, and the famous lyrics "If I leave here tommorow, would you still remember me?" starting the song off.  The song soon became even more important, when tragically, in 1977 at the height of their career, Ronnie's voice was cut short when his plane crashed, killing him, the lead guitarist, and a road manager.   Ronnie's brother took over lead responsibilities, but was a pale image of the creativity and passion his brother brought to the group.  Today when you hear "Freebird" it brings a tear to your eye when you think about all the stars like Ronnie who tragically never got to show the world their full talent.  

Trauma-san

Re:LYNYRD SKYNYRD
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 04:20:41 PM »
Some good songs if you want to play them are

Freebird
Sweet Home Alabama
That Smell (about their guitarist getting drunk and wrecking his car)
Simple Man (Awesome song)
What's Your Name (Little Girl) - You've probably all heard this
Things Going On
Gimme 3 Steps

SGV

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2004, 05:58:18 PM »

Sweet Home Alabama", one of the first "Diss Songs" if you will, lol.  
Funny. Me and my brother said the same exact thing.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2004, 06:42:13 PM »
Most of my friends are into it, I don't mind their music.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2004, 07:26:00 PM »

Sweet Home Alabama", one of the first "Diss Songs" if you will, lol.  
Funny. Me and my brother said the same exact thing.

Yup! John Lennon wrote a song in 71 or so called "How Do You sleep" that was a paul McCartney diss.  Those are the only 2 I can think of from back then, I think they were the first.  Sweet Home Alabama is the first one I can think of where they actually mention somebody by name.  

SGV

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 07:46:09 PM »

Yup! John Lennon wrote a song in 71 or so called "How Do You sleep" that was a paul McCartney diss.  Those are the only 2 I can think of from back then, I think they were the first.  Sweet Home Alabama is the first one I can think of where they actually mention somebody by name.  
Yea. That's funny. Diss records in Rock Music. Crazy.

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2004, 05:19:11 AM »
pretty good music imo

Don Seer

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2004, 06:01:05 AM »
i watched con air the other night (it was on tv here)

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2004, 07:35:19 AM »
Hmmmmmmm.....    that's nice!

Don Seer

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2004, 08:10:16 AM »
sweet home alabama is an underlying theme song througout the movie ;)

« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 08:15:47 AM by Overseer »

[Stoned]Jesus H. Christ[Wheat]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Reefer Addict - Abusing It Faster Than A $2 Whore
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2004, 07:06:04 PM »
just got the simple man song, awesome song.
It's 4:20, are you smoking?

Lady Scarface

Trauma-san

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2004, 09:22:12 PM »
^ I know, right? That song is just beautiful.