Author Topic: Is Real R&B Still Around?  (Read 381 times)

Don Breezio

Re:Is Real R&B Still Around?
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2004, 01:34:23 AM »
I don't think R&B ever really did exsist. You got your pop and your soul. I guess some artists you can consider a mix of both and that can be R&B.

what? dude what do you call Keith Sweat, New Edition, Blackstreet, Toni Tony Tone, Jagged Edge, R. Kelly, and the list goes on?

i dunno bout you but when i think of pop i picture britney spears, the backstreet boys, and n'sync.

when i think about soul i picture sade, marvin gaye, and al green

the other stuff is straight up R&B

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2004, 02:40:51 AM »
I don't think R&B ever really did exsist. You got your pop and your soul. I guess some artists you can consider a mix of both and that can be R&B.

what? dude what do you call Keith Sweat, New Edition, Blackstreet, Toni Tony Tone, Jagged Edge, R. Kelly, and the list goes on?

i dunno bout you but when i think of pop i picture britney spears, the backstreet boys, and n'sync.

EXACTLY

Sikotic™

« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2004, 03:16:03 AM »

Jagged Edge and R.Kelly are a mix of both if you ask me so I guess I can agree with you in a way if you were following what I said.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2004, 04:41:06 AM »
my point is some of us (as in me and you) are more conscious towards shit and really dont care if it gets play or not...but there are thousands of people who would drop their favorite artist in a minute if they heard them more than twice a day on the radio.

feel u on this. i even know people who loved Linkin Park fore that song ("One Step Closer" i think) got airplay, but ever since it did they been too commercial releasin singles off the same album lol. Same for 50, i know peeps who luved him when "Guess Who's Back" dropped and are now talkin bout how he got no talent

as for the original subject i pretty much agree with
stuff which is rnb to me has no replay value at all, good for clubs maybe, but not for constant listening. Soulful artists have something special in their voices which sets them apart from rnb artists and gives them much more replay value.

Don Breezio

« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2004, 10:29:01 AM »
my point is some of us (as in me and you) are more conscious towards shit and really dont care if it gets play or not...but there are thousands of people who would drop their favorite artist in a minute if they heard them more than twice a day on the radio.

feel u on this. i even know people who loved Linkin Park fore that song ("One Step Closer" i think) got airplay, but ever since it did they been too commercial releasin singles off the same album lol. Same for 50, i know peeps who luved him when "Guess Who's Back" dropped and are now talkin bout how he got no talent

as for the original subject i pretty much agree with
stuff which is rnb to me has no replay value at all, good for clubs maybe, but not for constant listening. Soulful artists have something special in their voices which sets them apart from rnb artists and gives them much more replay value.

im one of those 50 haters you described...now i never heard guess whos back but i used to bump the in too deep soundtrack all the time just for the 2 50 songs...i know he's got talent i just feel like he's not using it all. i've heard some shit he released before grodt and its not bad at all. he isnt using his talent which is why i dont like him.

as far as linkin park goes does it really matter if they release singles from the same album? if they are good songs it really shouldnt matter what album it comes from. and its not like they were all from the same album at the same time...they had a few other songs they released from other peoples albums (like the X-Ecutioners "It's Goin Down")

my point is though if the entire album is good enough to get millions of people psyched about the album then i say sure release em all as singles! just dont play the hell out of them...as far as playing the hell out of them though thats not linkin parks decision...people say oh well they get played so much on the radio now they sold out...thats stupid. they have no control over that.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2004, 11:11:03 AM »
The thing with the Linkin Park situation is that people were still buying the singles even when it was like the sixth released from the same album. You would have thought that by about the fourth single anyone who was gonna buy their album would have bought it already, and therefore wouldn't need to buy the single as well.

TobyTizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2004, 02:30:02 PM »
mayne, i can sum rnb up in 1 word. "Aaliyah" if she was still alive RnB would still be as hot...

dunno where u were staying, but in earth, Aaliyah was a decent artist like many others, but she wasnt running shit on the R&B tip...  seemed like a nice person, and its a damn shame what happened, but thats the truth

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2004, 02:45:19 PM »
im one of those 50 haters you described...now i never heard guess whos back but i used to bump the in too deep soundtrack all the time just for the 2 50 songs...i know he's got talent i just feel like he's not using it all. i've heard some shit he released before grodt and its not bad at all. he isnt using his talent which is why i dont like him.
well then ure not one of the haters i described tho. i don't completly disagree with u on 50 havin been better before GRODT, cuz I like "Guess Who's Back" much more than GRODT too and also i was feelin him more as an MC back then. But the haters i described are now actin like 50's always been wack as fuck when they used to like him too back then, mainly cuz he's that famous now...that's what happens to many artists who blow up. if u say he's wastin his talent that's a point and u ain't even totally wrong IMO

as far as linkin park goes does it really matter if they release singles from the same album? if they are good songs it really shouldnt matter what album it comes from. and its not like they were all from the same album at the same time...they had a few other songs they released from other peoples albums (like the X-Ecutioners "It's Goin Down")
I think u got me wrong there. i was sayin people who liked "Hybrid Theory" before it got that much recognition are now (ok well, that was a year ago or sumthin, not now actually) complainin bout songs released as singles/videos even though they're off "Hybrid Theory" too, which is stupid cuz they used to say it's a dope album. that's what i was tryin to say

Don Breezio

« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2004, 11:03:48 PM »
^^ oh lol yeah i just misunderstood a little...but yeah its sad when people are like that...like seriously (im going to sound totally gay when i say this) i really dont care who it is...if i like it im going to listen to it...like today me and my girlfriend were watching TV and the movie Toy Story happened to be on the disney channel (dont deny it, you all know you felt that movie) and during a commercial a hilary duff music vid came on for some sad sappy ass song or something...and i really liked it. my point is if it sounds good to me then i could give a shit less if they sell 1 copy or a billion copies. the music doesnt change.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2004, 03:57:44 AM »
^^ word it's that simple, yet too many people are too dumb to get it lol