Author Topic: The Sikh Newsletter - Promoting Knowledge  (Read 366 times)

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
The Sikh Newsletter - Promoting Knowledge
« on: April 10, 2002, 11:57:55 PM »

Deep within the self, is the Light of God.  It radiates throughout the expanse of his ceation.
Through the Guru's teachings, the darkness of spiritual ignorence is dispelled.
The heart lotus flower blossoms forth and eternal peace is obtained,
as one's light merges into the Supream Light." --Guru Amar Das [3rd Guru]
[/b]

Welcome, I know there are hardly any Sikhs on WCC to my knowledge, execpt 3, including me.....but many are interested in Sikhism [infinite, trauma etc] So the purpose of this thread is to so that people can have a better understanding of Sikhism....

A way of life and philosophy well ahead of its time when it was founded over 500 years ago.  Sikhism preaches a message of devotion and remembrance of God at all times, truthful living, equality of mankind, social justice and denounces superstitions and blind rituals. Sikhism is open to all through the teachings of its 10 Gurus enshrined in the Sikh Holy Book and Living Guru, Sri Guru Granth Sahib.[The holy book, is also known as the 11th livin guru]

Its founder, Guru Nanak, was born in 1469. Guru Nanak spread a simple message of "Ek Ong Kar": we are all one, created by the One Creator of all Creation. This was at a time when India was being torn apart by castes, sectarianism, religious factions, and fanaticism. He aligned with no religion, and respected all religions. He expressed the reality that there is one God and many paths, and the Name of God is Truth, "Sat Nam".

Philosophys, Values and Beliefs

• There is only One God. He is the same God for all people of all religions.

• Reincarnation--The soul goes through cycles of births and deaths before it reaches the human form. The goal of our life is to lead an exemplary existence so that one may merge with God. Sikhs should remember God at all times and practice living a virtuous and truthful life while maintaining a balance between their spiritual obligations and temporal obligations.

• The true path to achieving salvation and merging with God does not require renunciation of the world or celibacy, but living the life of a householder, earning a honest living and avoiding worldly temptations and sins.

• Sikhism condemns superstitions, worship of the dead, idol worship etc.

• Sikhism preaches that people of different races, religions, or sex are all equal in the eyes of God. It teaches the full equality of men and women. Women can participate in any religious function or perform any Sikh ceremony or lead the congregation in prayer.

• Equality of man and woman — Sikh men have last name of "Singh" and the women of "Kaur". Equality of all Mankind regardless of Race, Religion, Background Caste or Creed. All are Equal, All are Loved and Respected.  This was also created to end the cast system made by the hindus.

• Belief in the Guru Granth Sahib — the Sikh holy book or the "Living Guru". Sikhs venerate the revealed teachings contained in the holy book, which belongs to all mankind. Sikhs do not believe in idols and idol worships or rituals.

• Belief in the Guru — (Teacher). Sikhism is not a synthetic religion. It is a revealed faith that has been transmitted through human means.

• Belief in Freedom — Sikhism is an intensely democratic faith that places great emphasis on the individual and freedom of choice for everyone.

• Love for All — Sikhs pray daily for the well-being of all of humanity.
    "Nanak Naam Chardikala, Tere Bane Sarbat da Bhalla"
    (O God! Through Satguru Nanak, may your name be exalted and may All Humanity prosper according to your Will).

• Food and Shelter for All — Central to the Sikh faith is humble and voluntary  Service for all in need - not only the poor.  "Langar" is the food served in the temples, for free.  ANYONE can come to a Sikh temple and eat, this was to symbolize unity and equality.

• Justice for All — A Sikhs spiritual beliefs must constantly be tested and proven in the world of action. A Sikh cannot witness injustice and turn away. They are "Saint Soldiers" in every decade.

• Truth is High, Higher still is Truthful living".

The Golden Chain
    The foundation of Sikhism was laid down by Guru Nanak. Guru Nanak infused his own consciousness into a disciple, who then became Guru, subsequently passing the light on to the next, and so on. The word "Guru" is derived from the root words "Gu", which means darkness or ignorance, and "Ru", which means light or knowledge The Guru is the experience of Truth (God).

Each one of the ten Gurus represents a divine attribute:

Guru Nanak - Humility
    Guru Angad - Obedience
    Guru Amar Das — Equality
    Guru Ram Das - Service
    Guru Arjan - Self-Sacrifice
    Guru Hargobind - Justice
    Guru Har Rai - Mercy
    Guru Harkrishan - Purity
    Guru Tegh Bahadur - Tranquility
    Guru Gobind Singh - Royal Courage

Guru Gobind Singh, the Tenth Guru, exemplified the Sikh ideal of the Soldier-Saint. He was also an inspired and prolific writer, courageous warrior, and a source of Divine Wisdom to his Sikhs. "When all other means have failed," he said, "only then is it righteous to take up the sword." He was the defender of the poor, the meek, and the oppressed masses of India.

I hope ya'll enjoyed this thread, it was to promote knowledge about Sikhism, one of the youngest Religons on earth.  One love, one God, one Nation, peace

-{bLaDe]
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

Jay ay Beee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • One of the Greatest Moments in Football History
Re: The Sikh Newsletter - Promoting Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2002, 02:34:49 AM »
I really enjoyed that.  What countries is Sikhism the main religion?

Safe
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

techniec

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2002, 02:41:41 AM »
^^^mainly in India's punjab province, although there are huge communities in Canada, England and the US

yo Blade, my boy is Sikh, ive studied your religion before

if you know your history you will know that Sikhs and Pathans have battled for years!

'Illicit'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i rarely smoke... but i love mickey d's
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2002, 11:57:29 AM »
this was very interesting...  I'll read up on it for sure
I once walked into a brothel with a honeycomb and a jackass...

"Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not."

WCC Hall Of Famer

Joachim

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2002, 12:02:44 PM »
Props Blade, nice read, my boys a Sikh, he carries one of them sick looking knives, diamond bloke, nothing but love homie for you and your people...

bLaDe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2002, 12:34:36 PM »
Word to Tech....

Props Blade, nice read, my boys a Sikh, he carries one of them sick looking knives, diamond bloke, nothing but love homie for you and your people...

Yeah dogg, iz called tha 'Kirpan', a small sword, or dagger, its a Ceremonial Sword. A symbol of dignity and the Sikh struggle against injustice. It is worn purely as a religious symbol and not as a weapon.

I'll explain more about that, and the other customs and tha baptization thing in my next newsletter....peace

-{bLaDe}

Joachim

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2002, 12:44:39 PM »
Word to Tech....

Yeah dogg, iz called tha 'Kirpan', a small sword, or dagger, its a Ceremonial Sword. A symbol of dignity and the Sikh struggle against injustice. It is worn purely as a religious symbol and not as a weapon.

I'll explain more about that, and the other customs and tha baptization thing in my next newsletter....peace

-{bLaDe}

Yeah, i didnt mean it to sound like y'all use it as a weapon or nothing, i know its an impotant symbol, no disrespect homie...

bLaDe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2002, 01:15:55 PM »

Yeah, i didnt mean it to sound like y'all use it as a weapon or nothing, i know its an impotant symbol, no disrespect homie...

naw none taken,  jus spittin sum information about it, pz

-{bLaDe}

Sikotic™

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2002, 01:54:03 PM »
Props for the post blade. It's a beautiful religion too. I've studied Sikhism before but only a little bit. It's very interesting.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

infinite59

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2002, 07:01:25 PM »
Great Newsletter..... The knowledge is deep and extensive, it would be very good for me to read some of your Holy Book to raise my spiritual conscious a couple knowledge and stretch out my wisdom a few more miles........ I am a Muslim, and I am a lover of any knowledge and wisdom I can get my hands on that will allow me to reflect and grow in the vision of my creator, the Universal God.  I love the Sihkism concept of 10 prophets representing ten unique yet related functions of spirituality.  Much props to Blade.

MidnightPills

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2002, 07:45:34 PM »
:D thanks... for the knoweldge!!

Instant_Killa

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2002, 09:58:09 PM »
This is great stuff, this will help me keep in touch with my own religion, props for starting this bro.

Peace

Trauma-san

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2002, 10:14:10 PM »
We've been studying about this in my church institute, yall have a cool religion, LOL. We talked about the 10 gurus, the living guru, all that, pretty cool stuff.  Don't yall have 4 sacred things a man should keep at all times?  The sword, (and one might be your beard, I dunno)

I'll bet it's a PAINNNNN goin through airport security, though, ha.  

bLaDe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2002, 07:07:01 AM »
We've been studying about this in my church institute, yall have a cool religion, LOL. We talked about the 10 gurus, the living guru, all that, pretty cool stuff.  Don't yall have 4 sacred things a man should keep at all times?  The sword, (and one might be your beard, I dunno)

I'll bet it's a PAINNNNN goin through airport security, though, ha.  

LOL yeah, the 5 things actually, i'll post info about that in my next newsletter,  these days, times have changed, and only those who r 'baptized' or are strick and orthadox do those 5 customs, pz

-{bLaDe}