7 (26.9%)
Suga Free - The New Testament
9 (34.6%)
tie
4 (15.4%)
abstain
6 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: [poll] The New Testament vs Hi Life Hustle  (Read 401 times)

Don Seer

[poll] The New Testament vs Hi Life Hustle
« on: March 05, 2004, 01:43:15 AM »
may be a bit early for this..

personally i think Hi-C's album is waaaay better, I'm very disappointed with Suga Free's but people say it grows on you, so i'mma keep it in rotation.

Cordy

• 'G'
Re:[poll] The New Testament vs Hi Life Hustle
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 02:35:21 AM »
Hi C had a better album.

Suga Free's was a dissapointment, there was a few good songs though. Track 2 and 8. But it misses another "If U Stay Ready".

Hi C 2.5/5
Suga Free 2/5

Cordy

• 'G'
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2004, 03:26:00 AM »
Really, its an average album. Not bad at all, track 2 and 8 are tight, angry enough was cool....

But where is the OUTSTANDING track? Theres no track NEAR as good as, If U Stay Ready.

I expected a lot more. Theres better unreleased Suga Free songs than on this album

Don Seer

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2004, 10:58:58 AM »
Angry Enuff is tight.. bumped that to death already tho

BL7

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 11:19:23 AM »
Really, its an average album. Not bad at all, track 2 and 8 are tight, angry enough was cool....

But where is the OUTSTANDING track? Theres no track NEAR as good as, If U Stay Ready.

I expected a lot more. Theres better unreleased Suga Free songs than on this album

I think Why U Bullshittin' Part 2 destroys If U Stay Ready. If only Free could've kept the energy he had on that track, through the whole album.

Musically Tha New Testament >>>>>>>>>>>> Street Gospel

Lyrically Street Gospel >>>>>>>>>>>> Tha New Testament

Just my opinion. Hi-C's ain't fuckin' with Suga Free's.

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2004, 10:07:02 AM »
I think that "Hi-Life Hustle" is better than "The New Testament" lyrically, musically, and flow-wise.  Maybe "The New Testament" hasn't "grown on me" enough, but a lot of the tracks on it are already getting kinda boring already.  

First, Suga Free doesn't have as clever of lyrics that he had on "Street Gospel."  "Why You Bullshittin" was pure genius, and no track on "The New Testament" comes close to this.  The lyrics simply are not as good on this album. Flow-wise,  I really hate it when he yells in this album, it makes everything stressful (example: the end of "Circus Music" around the 2:45 mark.)  Other than that, Free flows to the beats better than he did before, but the lyrics and yelling bring his overall lyricist rating down.  The one thing that is missing from "The New Testament" is its lack of mellow, laid back tracks.  "Street Gospel" had "If You Stay Ready," "Don't No Suckaz Live Here," "Tip Toe," and " Doe Doe And A Skunk," while the only track that even resembles this on "The New Testament" is "Did I Do Dat."  There are a lot of hot cuts on "The New Testament," but I feel it lacks some of the polish and smooth shit that made "Street Gospel" so good.

"Hi-Life Hustle" has plenty of that smooth shit and really works well all the way through.  The majority of the beats are made to cruise around to, and every song has a tite ass bassline.  Hi-C's lyrics are untouchable: every song is fucking hilarious and clever.  Hi-C's lyrics definitely top Suga Free's on "The New Testament."  Overall, "Hi-Life Hustle" is what a West Coast album should sound like.  "The New Testament" is a praise-worthy album that does not come close to "Street Gospel."

ACGRUNDY

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2004, 10:12:42 AM »
The new testament by far.  I'm luvin the album, intro to outro.  3x better than any album that dropped last year.

Don Seer

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2004, 11:22:13 AM »
i'm amazed at how even this has come out so far!

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2004, 04:47:27 PM »
did either one of teh two ablums even come out yet?
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)

IKON

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Pharoahe - God's Gift to Vocabulary BIOTCH!!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2004, 12:03:17 AM »
the suga free officially drops tuesday with a free dvd ;D

the HI C is suppose to drop on the 23rd on Rap A Lot but who knows if it will come out

damn im hella surprised that peeps are saying that HI Life Hustle is better than the new Testament

HI Life Hustle is up there with the quik camp classics like street gospel, rhythmalism, non fiction

and I was highly surprised at how good HI C's production was on Hi Life Hustle :o :o :o, he sounds like Quik

if i look forward to another street gospel from suga free i know im gonna be dissapointed with the new testament, thats why im gonna keep on open mind when i pick it up tuesday, damn we have been waiting forever for this shit so lets support him

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2004, 09:45:10 AM »
after 7 years i expected alot somthing better form suga free but still its a good album. Hi-C surprised me how good an album he can make

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

LazyLatino

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2004, 10:13:22 AM »
Its kinda meaningless too me to have a poll of 2 albums that didnt even drop yet.....

Peace

LazyL

Danté Williams

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Diggie Dee aka Tha Preacher
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2004, 01:04:55 AM »
Its kinda meaningless too me to have a poll of 2 albums that didnt even drop yet.....

Peace

LazyL

f0n|{sta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • U Cant Fuck With The One Man Band ^^
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2004, 05:34:44 AM »
i like suga free's more than hi-c's album...

--- G-Funk...all day everyday ---

TobyTizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2004, 12:59:46 PM »

Peace

LazyL

But as u know, most ppl on the net these days download most things, so many ppl on this board can give an opinion. Im still waiting for Hi-C to drop. It WAS only like $6 on cduniverse.com before it got backordered. I will get the Suga Free next order I make, from most reports it sounds like a dope album, and i loved his first one anyways