Author Topic: maniac mansion  (Read 141 times)

ACGRUNDY

maniac mansion
« on: March 11, 2004, 09:11:21 PM »
anyone ever play this game?  its pretty old, and most of ya might be too young for it.  anyways I had it on my old computer, but they also made it on nintendo.  I luved this game back in the day, so if anyone played it, lemme know what you thought.  did you beat it?  I did, but I had to get some help to do it.

Trauma-san

Re:maniac mansion
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 09:23:50 PM »
I never beat it, but it was very groundbreaking when it came out.  It was like the precursor to the RPG's of today.  I mean it came out after Zelda, but it's the first game I remember that had puzzle solving integrated into it.  The first Zelda was just basically go do this, kill all of these, and then move on to kill all of these.  There weren't that many puzzles.  Maniac Mansion was CRAZY, though.  

ACGRUNDY

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 09:56:59 PM »
yeah it was super crazy, and I think it actually may have came out before zelda.  it was on the old apple II E computer way before it made it to nintendo.  ahh, the good ole days.

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2004, 10:09:15 PM »
The graphics were pretty good.  I remember when it came out on nintendo, I wanted it but couldn't afford to buy a brand new game, lol.  The whole concept is awesome.  It wouldn't work today, but look how many games have ripped off their concept, stuck in a mansion, have to unlock clues and rooms and shit like that, do little errands, there's different people in different rooms, etc. etc.  Luigi's Mansion is exactly like that, and Eternal Darkness is exactly like that, countless others.

ACGRUNDY

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2004, 10:19:55 PM »
and the shit was hard too. it wasn't no dumb ass puzzles, you really had to think in this game, which is what I really liked about it.  and everything made sense too, it wasn't like some unbelievable ridiculous shit that you had to figure out, it was a realistic and logical.

Trauma-san

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 05:28:45 AM »
Yeah, as I remember it was hard as hell.  Hardly anybody ever beat the damn thing.