Author Topic: ?uestlove (the roots) talks about how him and Malik met 2pac. written by ?uest  (Read 98 times)

We Fly High

haha this hsit is pretty funny.. from the okayplayer forums, where ?uestlove posts very frequently.. this is his post to a topic of "which okayartists have met 2pac..."

4/1/96
hob LA.
i felt soooooo vindicated.
in the "friendly" rivalry between the fugees and the roots
we definately won that nights battle because their hip hop
101 was lyp synched under 12 inch instrumentals....and when
they rocked "shook ones" the record started skipping. absoulutely
threw those cats fung shui off.
and we did it in front of EVERYBODY (the soul train awards were that weekend---a year before the BIG tragedy) TLC, salt and pepa, dangelo, lahtifah, erykah, jada, chaka, every actress and actor----all eyes were on us and we rose to the occasion (a month later i was propositioned to co pilot VOODOO).

after the show was over i noticed two strange occurences: warren beaty was lurking backstage with roses in hand to butter up an on the rise lauryn hill about starring in his fugee centric flick bullworth (i guess she declined but somehow pras got some soundtrack action outta it)

and suge and pac came backstage to say whussup too (lauryn closed the dressing room doors when beaty held her audience---thus i believe this was the seed of pac's "ride on our enemies" (fugees/mobb deep dis)--for pac and suge were not granted the same audience with l boogie.

which means they had to come to the VIP bar where we (me and mal) we.

they stepped in the room.

silence.

music slowed down...

air stopped running.

you heard your heartbeat.

suge pointed at some ball player and dude was bitched out by suge. and dude was waaaaaaaaaay bigger than suge on the bodyguard tip (no names: hint, atl/hammer/football/rapper)

they scanned the room. mal was like

"yo imma say whussup"

me and 4 jawns was like "awwww hell no nuguh!! you tryna get killed?"

but you know how light skinned mofos love danger.

i denied mal like peter to christ ("i do not know this man!")---tryna hide and shit.

looking at their interaction through the martini silver cup maker i saw:

he walked up.
(13 seconds go by)
......sweating
...waiting....
cringing.....

pac showed love!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay (special ed voice)

« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 04:06:26 AM by justin718 »