Author Topic: Tony Blair Attacked In Commons Despite Increased Security  (Read 102 times)

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Tony Blair Attacked In Commons Despite Increased Security
« on: May 19, 2004, 09:09:57 AM »
how have we managed to porotect ourselves against foreign terrorists when we keep having security breaches. this time it was only a comdom full of flour which hit the PM and the labour cabinate but that could have been anything.

Blair hit during Commons protest
A major review of security is under way after a condom full of purple flour was thrown at Tony Blair as he faced MPs in the House of Commons.
The PM was speaking during his weekly half-hour question and answer session when the projectile hit his back, prompting MPs to evacuate the chamber.

Campaign group Fathers 4 Justice claimed responsibility. Two men aged 50 and 36 have been arrested.

It is believed the suspects got tickets to the Commons at a charity auction.

Reaction

The incident occurred despite a £600,000 security screen being installed in the chamber at Easter.

Father-of-two Ron Davies, from Worthing, Sussex, threw the flour-filled condom from an area of the gallery reserved for MPs' and Peers' guests and notable visitors as a second, unnamed, activist held up a poster.

He threw what looked like a paint ball at the prime minister and shouted 'Fathers 4 Justice'
Mark Oaten
Lib Dem MP watch the incident
Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott and Chancellor Gordon Brown, who were sitting either side of Mr Blair, both looked up at the public gallery as the dust descended at 1218 BST.

MPs were seen wafting something away from themselves as proceedings were suspended.

Government sources admitted that the politicians did not know what to do and expressed surprise that people were let out of the chamber.

Unexpected outcome

The source said the MPs' response "did not go the way we expected". The attack would have been "incredibly serious" if the dyed flour had been anthrax or ricin.

In a later statement to the House of Lords, Labour peer Baroness Golding said the two protesters were guests of hers and she offered "unreserved apologies" to Commons Speaker Michael Martin, MPs and fellow peers.
Matt O'Connor, spokesman for Fathers 4 Justice, said two members of the group were involved in the incident to highlight MPs' failure to help fathers gain access to children through the courts.

'Serious implications'

Mr Blair's spokesman said no sooner had the prime minister left the Commons, he wanted to know when he could return to finish question time - but the Speaker vetoed the move.

Instead Mr Blair began preparing his speech for a seminar on alcohol abuse on Thursday.

The prime minister appeared unsure of what was happening to him before he was ushered slowly, almost bemused, from the chamber

The spokesman said the security breach had "serious implications", but stressed that it was up to the Commons to resolve these.

Home Secretary David Blunkett said a security review had already been launched at Westminster after recent breaches at Buckingham Palace.

The security services will bring forward recommendations "very quickly indeed", but it could mean there will be more restrictions on access to Parliament, he said.

"Thank God it has not led to danger and fatality," Mr Blunkett added.

Labour MP Kevin Brennan said he saw what appeared to be a stain on the back of Mr Blair's jacket as the dust hit him.

HAVE YOUR SAY
It will be a real shame if the House of Commons is closed to the public after this childish attack
Richard, UK

Ex-Tory minister Michael Portillo said he thought "one dose" of the dust had been thrown "before the prime minister reacted".

Commons leader Peter Hain said: "This was a serious incident. I have asked for an immediate report on the circumstances and what additional security provisions may be necessary."

Mark Oaten, the Liberal Democrats home affairs spokesman, called for an urgent review of security arrangements.

The MP, who was in the chamber during question time, said he heard a large shout from the public gallery area from an individual who appeared to be "running forward".

WESTMINSTER SECURITY SCREENING:
Metal detector
Bags X-rayed
Public frisked
Glass screen across public gallery, but does not cover area where MPs or peers' guests sit
"He threw what looked like a paint ball at the prime minister and shouted Fathers 4 Justice," he said.

"At that point the prime minister remained remarkably calm, I thought, if not a bit confused and the Speaker quite rightly suspended the session.

"Police were then seen rushing into the chamber to try to arrest the individual. There was absolutely no panic at all."

Prime Minister's questions was abandoned. Commons business recommenced at 1330 BST.

HOUSE OF COMMONS POWDER ATTACK
1: Projectiles thrown by two protesters in section of gallery above Commons reserved for ambassadors, members of the House of Lords, their guests and MPs' guests.
2: Purple powder sprays over Labour backbenchers on benches below.
3: Two projectiles reach Tony Blair, standing at the government despatch box. One hits his back, the other hits the floor at his feet.
4: Speaker Michael Martin suspends proceedings.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk_politics/3728617.stm
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 09:59:35 AM by Don Rizzle »

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

azn_h0ney

• Lil Geezy
Re:Tony Blair Attacked In Commons Despit Increased Security
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 09:34:40 AM »
lol

yeah i heard bout that on the radio.

so fuckin stupid........ £600000!!!!!!!
BOO... :P

I-Yoof

Re:Tony Blair Attacked In Commons Despit Increased Security
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 09:42:01 AM »
Shame it wasn't a bullet-the complete and utter cunt.

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:Tony Blair Attacked In Commons Despite Increased Security
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 10:02:55 AM »
we havn't had a priminister assinated in over 150 years or something, why would you want to ruin that achievment.

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Trauma-san

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 04:24:08 PM »
Yall are more fucked up that we are.  First off, it was flour.  2nd, he obviously wanted to keep speaking, why? Because he's a fucking man.  Men don't get afraid and run with their tail between their legs because somebody threw flour at them.  Your government won't see another man like Tony Blair for quite some time.  

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 04:53:00 PM »
your missing the point if they managed to throw flour at our prime minister just imagine what a terrorist could do.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 04:59:07 PM »
was the man who did that white? I guess you shouldnt let white ppl in no more. that will prevent things like that to come up over and over again. oh well. imagine what a terrorist can do.. I guess he cant do anything as long he looks arab.  
blair is a rather good guy if it wasnt for him trying to keep the beloved relationship with the states by any means.. like war and shit.
moreover I dont like that he wont just easily get more involved in the EU since your population hates it so he will be more likely re-elected. but then again that's a thing every politician would do.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 05:02:28 PM by 7even the Harbinger »
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin