Author Topic: DPG - Cali Iz Active  (Read 1418 times)

Plumma25

• 'G'
DPG - Cali Iz Active
« on: June 19, 2006, 07:41:38 AM »
After my first 2 listens, I figured I should post what I think about the album and I must say people are hating on this way TOO much.  I think its an above average album that is better than half the shit we're hearing lately.  Give it a chance, try and forget about 1996-1999 and just listen.  It's nice.  The beats are good (for the most part) and Kurupt and Daz have the chemistry you just can't fuck with.  Together they're so nice, seperate them and they get a bit "old".  I'd give this album a solid 3.5/5 and could go up to a 4 or 4.5 with repeat listens.  They did a good job and I think we'll hear more good things after this.

1. Cali Iz Active – Hot ass song produced by Battlecat.  This is the sound I’ve been missing from the dogg pound.  Both Daz and Kurupt come nice, but Snoop’s verse steals the show.  The chorus gets a bit repeated, I wish Nate or Butch would’ve done something but still a hot song. 4/5

2. Kushn And Pushn – Another really tight beat.  Love the flow of the song.  Kurupt really kills the beat and again Daz sounds pretty good.  Can’t get over the hot ass beat though.  Nice and laid back.  So far so good with the album.  No Snoop on this one though, really would’ve liked to hear him tear this beat up.  4/5

3. Sittin’ On 23z – Right from the start I was worried about this one when I saw that Swizz Beatz was on the beat.  I just didn’t see how they would go together because let’s be honest in the past Swizz and Snoop didn’t sound all that hot.  The beat is alright, nothing mind blowing but not wack either.  Not a favorite of mine, but maybe after some repeat hearings it’ll grow on me.  Really hate the chrous.  Gets real annoying really fast.  Love that Kurupt and Daz go back and forth with their verses.  Sounds good there.  Again no Snoop.  2.5/5

4. Stop Lying – Battlecat again on the beat and it’s pretty nice.  Laid back, eerie sounding.  Love the beat but Daz and Kurupt are so-so on the track.  Average verses but they both flow nicely over the beat.  An average track here.  3/5

5. It’s Craccin All Night f/P Diddy – Right from the start it gets a point off because dumb ass P Diddy is on it.  What the HELL are they thinking.  And why the fuck is he screaming Bad Boy all over the god damn track.  The beat is alright, up tempo sounding and it’ll get your head nodding a bit, def not what I expected.  Snoop is in the backround a bit and sounds alright, drops a small rap with P Diddy, but wish he was on it a bit more.  Daz and Kurupt really drop below average raps and drag the song a bit.  P Diddy is laughable at best, who wrote his verse – DAZ??????2.5/5

6. Slow Your Roll – Produced by one of my favorite artists – Soopafly.  Def not the type of beat I expected.  Instead of nice laid back party track, this beat is hard and different than any of Soopafly’s beats.  Def not a bad thing, hot ass beat.  Both Kurupt and Daz shine on this beat.  Really nice chemistry between all of them.  One of the highlights of the album.  Kind of an anthem track, will get you bumping.  Again no Snoop and that brings it down a ½ a poing cuz he would’ve ripped this beat.  4.5/5

7. Heavyweights – Nice laid back funky beat here.  Reminds me a bit of a track on bootlegged Eastsidaz album (Gang Bang Muzik).  All three spit some bars on this and ride the beat nicely.  Love the way all three are on all the verses, nice chemistry for the second track in a row.  Another tight track.  4/5

8. Keeping It Gangsta f/Lady Of Rage – Again produced by Soopafly and man it is HOT!!!!!!!  I think he switched his style up a bit cuz this is another one thats different but man does it work.  Why is this guy not producing more????  I don’t get it, he’s def a hot producer.  Kurupt rips the track and Lady of Rage is well the Lady Of Rage and of course she rips the hell out of the track.  Daz is decent and does not bring the track down any.  HOTNESS RIGHT HERE.  Again no Snoop, what the hell!!!  A crazy ass Soopafly beat and no Snoop.  This track could’ve been classic if all four were together.  4.5/5

9. Hard On A Hoe – This one has Nate Dogg and RBX on it.  The beat is tight, and seems to fit the song perfectly.  Snoop’s with RBX and Nate.  RBX also drops a tight ass verse.  We need more RBX and after this song you’ll agree.  He flows perfectly over this beat and spits hotness.  Wish Nate Dogg had played a bigger part, he’s in the backround and truthfully didn’t really need to be there.  3.5/5

10. It’s All Good – This one has Ice Cube looped on the hook and Battlecat producing again.  Got to say I was a bit disappointed with the beat.  I do think this beat will grow on me after a couple more listenings but right now I’m a bit disappointed with this song.  They flow nicely but there seems to be just too much going on in this song.  I get confused.  Snoop comes off tight though.  2.5/5

11. Faknass Hoes – This one has David Banner on it, he also produces.  I’m not a huge fan of southern rap and this beat is def south RAP.  It’s alright, I can actually stand it.  Kurupt sounds pretty good on it.  Daz is so-so.  I do like the hook even though its a bit stupid.  Def a weaker track and David Banner leaves much to be desired, but if your a fan of his I’m sure you’ll like his verse.  2.5/5

12. Don’t Sweat It – Another dark eerie beat.  I’m liking it.  Daz really rips the track up.  Love the piano that comes in and the dark heavy hitting bass, actually something new is added to the beat in different areas and really sounds hot.  Snoop rips the hook with Nate in the backround sounding pretty hot.  RBX is here too and this is def his type of beat.  He sounds perfect on this one.  Again I wish Nate would’ve had more time on this one.  4/5

13. Make Dat Pussy Pop – This one has Paul Wall on it and has a bit of a southern feel to it.  Not as much as Faknass Hoes but still has a bit of south in it.  Like the beat and love the hook.  Not much other to like though.  Daz’s verse is laughable as is Paul Wall.  Kurupt tries to save the track but doesn’t do it for me.  2.5/5

14. Throwin Up Da C – After the first two Soopafly tracks, I was eagerly anticipating this one.  And it does not dissapoint.  In fact, he kind of goes back to his “sound”.  Nice laid back party type vibe track.  Really loving it.  Love the hook and def. The highlight of the album.  I can see this being a pretty big summer hit with the right promotion.  SHOULD BE THE NEXT SINGLE!!!!  4.5/5 (no Snoop)

15. Face 2 Face – A hot ass Battlecat production here.  Kurupt sounds great on this track.  And man Snoop rips it.  He sounds so good on these type of songs.  Daz is good but again not great, but doesn’t take away from the song.  Love it.  4/5

16. She Likes Dat – A fan of Jazze Pha and he brings a tight track.  Nothing new here from Daz, Kurupt & Snoop.  Kind of like If We Fun or Some Bomb Azz Pussy.  Actually reminds me so much of both of those songs.  Don’t get me wrong its not as good but still pretty nice.  But if you’re sick of hearing about the DPG talking about pussy you’ll be annoyed.  3/5

NOT ON ALBUM – Make It Happen – Figured I’d review this track since it was cut from the album.  They should have included this song because it is HOT.  Too bad the masses won’t be albe to hear this one because both Daz and Kurupt sound so hot going back and forth.  Nice to hear Soopafly in there too.  Just the perfect chemistry and really would of fit in nicely on this album.  4/5
if you're girl has a leak tell her 2 call tha mothafuckin' Plumma named Pete, thats me.

Eihtball

Re: DPG - Cali Iz Active
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 08:08:03 AM »
No offense, but...this review doesn't say a whole lot that's helpful.  It follows the usual trend on DubCC of reviewing track by track, which is just boring and usually winds up saying nothing.  Pretty much every track description is like "Kurupt and Daz trade average verses" and "this is a hot-ass Battlecat beat" or something to that effect.

I really wish people on DubCC would learn to do general summaries that look at the big picture of the album's cohesiveness and only mention standout tracks as examples when necesary.

Paul

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 06:17:13 AM »
After my first 2 listens, I figured I should post what I think about the album and I must say people are hating on this way TOO much.  I think its an above average album that is better than half the shit we're hearing lately.  Give it a chance, try and forget about 1996-1999 and just listen.  It's nice.  The beats are good (for the most part) and Kurupt and Daz have the chemistry you just can't fuck with.  Together they're so nice, seperate them and they get a bit "old".  I'd give this album a solid 3.5/5 and could go up to a 4 or 4.5 with repeat listens.  They did a good job and I think we'll hear more good things after this.

1. Cali Iz Active – Hot ass song produced by Battlecat.  This is the sound I’ve been missing from the dogg pound.  Both Daz and Kurupt come nice, but Snoop’s verse steals the show.  The chorus gets a bit repeated, I wish Nate or Butch would’ve done something but still a hot song. 4/5

2. Kushn And Pushn – Another really tight beat.  Love the flow of the song.  Kurupt really kills the beat and again Daz sounds pretty good.  Can’t get over the hot ass beat though.  Nice and laid back.  So far so good with the album.  No Snoop on this one though, really would’ve liked to hear him tear this beat up.  4/5

3. Sittin’ On 23z – Right from the start I was worried about this one when I saw that Swizz Beatz was on the beat.  I just didn’t see how they would go together because let’s be honest in the past Swizz and Snoop didn’t sound all that hot.  The beat is alright, nothing mind blowing but not wack either.  Not a favorite of mine, but maybe after some repeat hearings it’ll grow on me.  Really hate the chrous.  Gets real annoying really fast.  Love that Kurupt and Daz go back and forth with their verses.  Sounds good there.  Again no Snoop.  2.5/5

4. Stop Lying – Battlecat again on the beat and it’s pretty nice.  Laid back, eerie sounding.  Love the beat but Daz and Kurupt are so-so on the track.  Average verses but they both flow nicely over the beat.  An average track here.  3/5

5. It’s Craccin All Night f/P Diddy – Right from the start it gets a point off because dumb ass P Diddy is on it.  What the HELL are they thinking.  And why the fuck is he screaming Bad Boy all over the god damn track.  The beat is alright, up tempo sounding and it’ll get your head nodding a bit, def not what I expected.  Snoop is in the backround a bit and sounds alright, drops a small rap with P Diddy, but wish he was on it a bit more.  Daz and Kurupt really drop below average raps and drag the song a bit.  P Diddy is laughable at best, who wrote his verse – DAZ??????2.5/5

6. Slow Your Roll – Produced by one of my favorite artists – Soopafly.  Def not the type of beat I expected.  Instead of nice laid back party track, this beat is hard and different than any of Soopafly’s beats.  Def not a bad thing, hot ass beat.  Both Kurupt and Daz shine on this beat.  Really nice chemistry between all of them.  One of the highlights of the album.  Kind of an anthem track, will get you bumping.  Again no Snoop and that brings it down a ½ a poing cuz he would’ve ripped this beat.  4.5/5

7. Heavyweights – Nice laid back funky beat here.  Reminds me a bit of a track on bootlegged Eastsidaz album (Gang Bang Muzik).  All three spit some bars on this and ride the beat nicely.  Love the way all three are on all the verses, nice chemistry for the second track in a row.  Another tight track.  4/5

8. Keeping It Gangsta f/Lady Of Rage – Again produced by Soopafly and man it is HOT!!!!!!!  I think he switched his style up a bit cuz this is another one thats different but man does it work.  Why is this guy not producing more????  I don’t get it, he’s def a hot producer.  Kurupt rips the track and Lady of Rage is well the Lady Of Rage and of course she rips the hell out of the track.  Daz is decent and does not bring the track down any.  HOTNESS RIGHT HERE.  Again no Snoop, what the hell!!!  A crazy ass Soopafly beat and no Snoop.  This track could’ve been classic if all four were together.  4.5/5

9. Hard On A Hoe – This one has Nate Dogg and RBX on it.  The beat is tight, and seems to fit the song perfectly.  Snoop’s with RBX and Nate.  RBX also drops a tight ass verse.  We need more RBX and after this song you’ll agree.  He flows perfectly over this beat and spits hotness.  Wish Nate Dogg had played a bigger part, he’s in the backround and truthfully didn’t really need to be there.  3.5/5

10. It’s All Good – This one has Ice Cube looped on the hook and Battlecat producing again.  Got to say I was a bit disappointed with the beat.  I do think this beat will grow on me after a couple more listenings but right now I’m a bit disappointed with this song.  They flow nicely but there seems to be just too much going on in this song.  I get confused.  Snoop comes off tight though.  2.5/5

11. Faknass Hoes – This one has David Banner on it, he also produces.  I’m not a huge fan of southern rap and this beat is def south RAP.  It’s alright, I can actually stand it.  Kurupt sounds pretty good on it.  Daz is so-so.  I do like the hook even though its a bit stupid.  Def a weaker track and David Banner leaves much to be desired, but if your a fan of his I’m sure you’ll like his verse.  2.5/5

12. Don’t Sweat It – Another dark eerie beat.  I’m liking it.  Daz really rips the track up.  Love the piano that comes in and the dark heavy hitting bass, actually something new is added to the beat in different areas and really sounds hot.  Snoop rips the hook with Nate in the backround sounding pretty hot.  RBX is here too and this is def his type of beat.  He sounds perfect on this one.  Again I wish Nate would’ve had more time on this one.  4/5

13. Make Dat Pussy Pop – This one has Paul Wall on it and has a bit of a southern feel to it.  Not as much as Faknass Hoes but still has a bit of south in it.  Like the beat and love the hook.  Not much other to like though.  Daz’s verse is laughable as is Paul Wall.  Kurupt tries to save the track but doesn’t do it for me.  2.5/5

14. Throwin Up Da C – After the first two Soopafly tracks, I was eagerly anticipating this one.  And it does not dissapoint.  In fact, he kind of goes back to his “sound”.  Nice laid back party type vibe track.  Really loving it.  Love the hook and def. The highlight of the album.  I can see this being a pretty big summer hit with the right promotion.  SHOULD BE THE NEXT SINGLE!!!!  4.5/5 (no Snoop)

15. Face 2 Face – A hot ass Battlecat production here.  Kurupt sounds great on this track.  And man Snoop rips it.  He sounds so good on these type of songs.  Daz is good but again not great, but doesn’t take away from the song.  Love it.  4/5

16. She Likes Dat – A fan of Jazze Pha and he brings a tight track.  Nothing new here from Daz, Kurupt & Snoop.  Kind of like If We Fun or Some Bomb Azz Pussy.  Actually reminds me so much of both of those songs.  Don’t get me wrong its not as good but still pretty nice.  But if you’re sick of hearing about the DPG talking about pussy you’ll be annoyed.  3/5

NOT ON ALBUM – Make It Happen – Figured I’d review this track since it was cut from the album.  They should have included this song because it is HOT.  Too bad the masses won’t be albe to hear this one because both Daz and Kurupt sound so hot going back and forth.  Nice to hear Soopafly in there too.  Just the perfect chemistry and really would of fit in nicely on this album.  4/5

i kinda agree with ur review, i think its all good is cool so i woulda given tht a higher rating and fuck snoop slow your roll is a 6/5 best song from 2006 8)
funkyfreshintheflesh

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 12:53:14 PM »
Propz for the review, but you are way off imo this album blows.. Kurupt maybe had 1 0r 2 decent verses on the album the rest was thrash.  horrible album

Frost67

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 03:38:25 AM »
I disagree,
This album was poor.
Daz & Kurupt should go back to the formula they had in 95.

Vegasmac25

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 10:49:27 PM »
i love the album and thats all that matters.

BigMajorDawg

• Lil Geezy
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 01:22:40 PM »
This Album is one of the worst Stuff DPG ever made...The Beatz are all fucked up...terriblle LP...kept no song from the LP...Tras Can...Thats pity cuz i love DPG...but the wonderfil Ol Skool time is over...in every way..every artist produce alot of shit..especially Snoop Dogg...The new Shit he did is Trash!!!!

Minkaveli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 08:45:59 AM »
I wasn't dissapointed.  I didn't like how they tried to work with other astists.  It should have been all west coast.
"Now you're facing me, I'm your ultimate challenger.  It's the avenger, your fate is on my calendar"-Guru from "So What's Up"

MIC44

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 11:56:10 AM »
It's a good album, my favorite songs are Sittin On 23z, Cali Iz Active and It's All Hood with ICE CUBE.

Okka

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 01:02:37 PM »
I didn't like how they tried to work with other astists.  It should have been all west coast.

Yeah, but other then that. It was a great album, "Don't Sweat It", "Heavyweights" and "Sittin On 23'z" are my favourite songs, "Make It Happen" was really great too.

StevenMarkAss

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 07:26:06 AM »
I thought they could come a bit better on this 1.

But i still bought it.

Big_O_Attack

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 09:27:30 PM »
eshta