Author Topic: People unfairly hate on Nas' It Was Written..........  (Read 328 times)

teecee

People unfairly hate on Nas' It Was Written..........
« on: June 13, 2004, 04:22:56 PM »
I mean, most fans didnt even check for Illmatic when it dropped, not unless you were truly an underground hiphop head (or got it from Columbia House music club like me because it said Explicit lyrics lol).   When It Was Written dropped, EVERYONE thought that shit was incredible, except for the majority of Nas Illmatic fans.  I thought the two albums were completely different, but aside from the overdose of Mafioso bullshit, IWW was/is an incredible album.

Alot of younger people nowadays will automaticly diss It Was Written cuz Illmatic is hailed as a classic, while IWW is considered Nas' downfall.  BUt it really never happened like that.  Sure, at first many were pissed he swithced it up from his bebut, but the production was still incredible and so were the majority of the lyrics.  He had great singles also, truly an underrated and incredible album.  Too bad it doesnt get its due. Compare that album with anything that has dropped in recent years, and it sounds even better.  WHile it is not quite as good as Illmatic, it definitely sounds more current and with the times....

The Message
Take it in Blood (this and the Message are AMAZING)
I Gave U Power
Shootouts
Affirmative Action
Black GIrl Lost
If I Ruled The World
Street Dreams

listen to those and tell me this cd isnt dope.........has to be 4.5/5 for sure

btw, I'm not trying to belittle Illmatic, thats top 10 for me

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:People unfairly hate on Nas' It Was Written..........
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2004, 04:34:49 PM »
the only Nas Album really criticized is Nastradamus... as far my awareness goes.

the Message is a classic track.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Ras Kass' Toothpick

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2004, 04:40:01 PM »
I always thought that It Was Written was shit-on back in '96 but gets it's props today.
Herb Quote Of The Year[/u]

CalebOhio: I think i can speak for many others when i say my favorite rap artists are white but i still want black artists to be dope. they are chosing not to be. that wouldn't be a likely believe held in a white supremacist group. I want Nas to deliver evertime but he doesn't every time Sage does. so Sage gets my $15 regardless or his status. fuck your status perception and labels you use.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 04:45:50 PM »
4.5/5 for me, great album....

bez

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 04:55:47 PM »
dope album, much better than nastradamous!

pappy

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2004, 05:16:16 PM »
it not a rap classic but defo a east coast classic

CHEF_RAEKWON

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2004, 05:17:12 PM »
CLASSIC

Don Breezio

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2004, 07:27:30 PM »
lol...what are you talking about? this was considered nas' downfall? nastradamus is the album everyone hates on (even though its not a bad album at all). It Was Written is actually my favorite nas album (followed by gods son and then illmatic)...i have a more different taste in nas' music though..

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2004, 07:27:54 PM »
Very good album.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

pappy

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2004, 07:55:34 PM »
lol...what are you talking about? this was considered nas' downfall? nastradamus is the album everyone hates on (even though its not a bad album at all). It Was Written is actually my favorite nas album (followed by gods son and then illmatic)...i have a more different taste in nas' music though..

when this first dropped a lot of people say nas fell off with this album.  from critics to hip hop heads.  It not untill a year or 2 ago this album started to get the props it deserved.

teecee

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2004, 09:10:37 PM »
Exactly what Tom Gotti said..........yes, it is alot of peoples favourite Nas album but it has always been more fashionable to say Illmatic.  Only now have people opened their ears up and really started to check how dope IWW is..........i would go so far as to say its 5/5, or at least it is to me personally.

pappy

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2004, 10:07:19 PM »
Exactly what Tom Gotti said..........yes, it is alot of peoples favourite Nas album but it has always been more fashionable to say Illmatic.  Only now have people opened their ears up and really started to check how dope IWW is..........i would go so far as to say its 5/5, or at least it is to me personally.

be honest if nas never dropped illmatic i seriously think this album would be rated a 5/5.  every song on the album is a banger.  Not one track you have to skip over.

-VZA-

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2004, 10:56:48 PM »
I hated this album when it first came out.  I guess I was expecting every song to sound like that first single that dropped (If I Ruled The World).  Well, after listening to Stillmatic and hearing some of the deep stuff he was spitting on there, I decided to pull out the album and blow all the dust off of it.  After listening to it again, I can't believe how young and naive I used to be.  It's definitely a great album and it's better than the so-called classic Illmatic.  4/5
Ninja Babes - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NinjaBabes
like women who have abortions... i'm not havin' it.  ~canibus~
bust a nut inside your eye just to show you where i come from.  ~phife dawg~
like a man without no arms... you can't hang.  ~method man~
<--my future wifey

teecee

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2004, 11:02:33 PM »
I dont know if its better than Illmatic, it is just completely different.   Its too hard to  compare, one was straight authentic hiphop, one was a rap/pop masterpiece.  You may still be young and naive Strider, because Illmatic is a classic.  Sure it sounds a little dated, but it is truly dope, it just takes awhile to see that.........as for IWW, its at least 4.5/5, and Tom Gotti is right, it probably is 5/5.......

Don Breezio

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2004, 01:06:22 AM »
I dont know if its better than Illmatic, it is just completely different.   Its too hard to  compare, one was straight authentic hiphop, one was a rap/pop masterpiece.  You may still be young and naive Strider, because Illmatic is a classic.  Sure it sounds a little dated, but it is truly dope, it just takes awhile to see that.........as for IWW, its at least 4.5/5, and Tom Gotti is right, it probably is 5/5.......

you can't call it rap/pop just because lauryn hill was on one single...the rest of it was just as street as illmatic and wasnt even very different from illmatic.