Author Topic: Bryant will be a free agent July 1 (AND SOME EXCITING LAKER NEWS)  (Read 194 times)

2paclbc

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • LBC
ESPN.com news services
The Lakers are Kobe's team, should he decide to stay.

That's becoming increasingly obvious every day.

But Bryant opted out of his contract Friday and will become an unrestricted free agent July 1, ESPN has learned.

Bryant was among several Lakers players who went through season-ending exit interviews Friday with general manager Mitch Kupchak and coach Phil Jackson.

Bryant wouldn't comment afterward except to say: "Have a good summer. Thanks for everything," as he shook hands with a couple reporters before leaving the Lakers' training facility.

Bryan has had his differences with Jackson and fellow superstar Shaquille O'Neal over the years.

In addressing reporters Thursday, Kupchak said the team intends to do whatever it can to keep Bryant. Having opted out of his current contract, Bryant could sign a seven-year deal worth around $140 million with the Lakers.

O'Neal canceled his scheduled exit interview Friday, apparently upset at remarks made by Kupchak, who left the door open to trading the star center if he demanded it while saying Bryant would never be traded.

ESPN.com's Marc Stein has learned that the Lakers' big man, who can opt out of his contract after next season, has demanded a trade.

Derek Fisher, who can also opt out, said after his exit interview Friday he was uncertain about Bryant's future as well as his own.

But Fisher did make a few salient remarks concerning Bryant.

"I think he has a lot of say-so in the way the situation is going to turn out, and rightfully so," Fisher said.

That's assuming Bryant doesn't go elsewhere.

"I think he is going to take his time," Fisher said of Bryant, who still has to deal with sexual assault charges in Colorado, with a trial expected to begin later this summer.

"I think Kobe has a really strong desire to accomplish a lot more things as a player," Fisher said. "He owes it to himself to make sure every possible scenario is set up for him to play at a higher level than anybody's ever seen.

"I think he has every intention of wanting to come back. He wants to make sure it's in the right setting."

Fisher had until Saturday to make a decision regarding his contract situation, but it was extended to next Thursday. He will earn $3 million with the Lakers if he doesn't opt out.

"There's a lot of emotions right now," Fisher said. "I talked to my agent 20 times yesterday trying to figure out what to do, how to make the decision."

That was before the date was extended.

"I think Derek has got a lot of value," said Fisher's agent, Mark Bartlestein. "We're going to try to come up with a deal that pays him what he's worth."

Bartlestein wouldn't elaborate.

"At the root of it, there's no question about me wanting to be here," Fisher said. "This is my life, basically, for eight years."

Fisher joined the Lakers in 1996 -- the same year as O'Neal and Bryant.

Fisher and Bryant joked and exchanged hugs as they left.

"There are so many question marks regarding our future, the total direction of this team," Fisher said. "I don't want to make a decision just to please everybody. Basically, this decision determines the rest of my career."

Fisher said Kupchak told him he would love to have him finish his career with the Lakers.

"That says a lot," Fisher said. "There's no question the Lakers would love to have me back. I would love to be back. Hopefully we can find some common ground. Business is business."

Fisher could opt out and sign with the Lakers and return for substantially more money. He has also made it known he wants to at least be able to compete for a starting job. Gary Payton joined the Lakers this season and took Fisher's starting job.

Payton has a deadline of next Wednesday to opt out of his contract or return and be paid $5.4 million next season. Payton refused comment following his exit interview Friday.

Karl Malone, who opted out of his contract Wednesday, is expected to learn the severity of the knee injury he sustained during the finals in the next couple of weeks.

"They've got to let the swelling go down," Malone's agent, Dwight Manley, said Friday. "The Lakers have so many other issues going on, it's probably good for Karl to sit back and see what's going on before he decides what he's going to do."

Malone, who turns 41 next month, has said he would only play with the Lakers and only if he's 100 percent healthy.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

YEA NO MORE LAKERS

Montana00

Re:Bryant will be a free agent July 1 (AND SOME EXCITING LAKER NEWS)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2004, 07:21:39 PM »
wait so shaq wants to be traded? did i read that wrong?

140 million.....if i was kobe, i'd stay. unless shaq left, then i would leave too.

2paclbc

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • LBC
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2004, 07:25:42 PM »
NO, YOU READ IT RIGHT

O'Neal canceled his scheduled exit interview Friday, apparently upset at remarks made by Kupchak, who left the door open to trading the star center if he demanded it while saying Bryant would never be traded.

I BEAT HIS PISSED OFFFFFFF
« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 07:26:36 PM by 2paclbc »

Montana00

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2004, 07:45:12 PM »
why the fuck would shaq want to leave?

kobe and shaq should move to the same team.

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 08:58:13 PM »
Sorry to say lakers fans but like Every Era in sports the Lakers Era is over.

JTSimon

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2004, 12:14:19 AM »
Shaq for Richard Jefferson/Kenyon Martin/3rd player? or T-Mac/1st round draft pick?

Thats what I hear on sports talk.

.:DayGoStyLz:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • MC's...dont wake me...
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2004, 12:28:13 AM »
I BEAT HIS PISSED OFFFFFFF

^^that sounded really gay homie lol

The Watcher

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2004, 12:29:19 AM »
seems like the lakers want to keep bryant & get rid of the rest
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2004, 01:46:19 AM »
how could they trade SHAQ........god it's been hard being a laker fan the day after they beat the wolves!

damn u mitch ! fuck you prick! bring back jerry west!

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Montana00

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2004, 05:29:29 AM »
probably want to trade shaq and keep kobe because shaq wont be able to play much longer and they know this so they wanna get some fresh meat to hang with kobe.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2004, 06:06:48 AM »
California Leavin'

Three days after losing The Finals, the Lakers announced Friday night that Phil Jackson has decided to end his tenure as coach. Earlier in the day, Kobe Bryant joined Karl Malone on the list of NBA free agents.

Kobe, Phil, Karl --> gone.

Fox, Russell, Grant gone too  I guess

Payton? he sucks, but maybe he also leaves.

Shaq? If he leaves too then...

Clippers > Lakers
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

A-Trak

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2004, 09:18:29 AM »
is there any rumors which teams either Shaq or Kobe may go to?

sux to see the lakers to break up, its just like the bulls a few years back. its all because of phill. lol.

Montana00

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2004, 09:28:59 AM »
i was watching sports center.

They mentioned that payton is more then likely to stay.
They said that since phil is leaving that kobe might consider staying.

They said that the owner of the lakers wants to keep kobe and completly rebuild the team around kobe, which means basically trading people like shaq.

i honestly think that if the gm would like to build the lakers around kobe, that he would consider staying. Wouldnt you???

if someone told you they would give you 140 million for 7 years, and your going to be the star of the lakers....i would in a heartbeat. and i think its a good idea to do this. kobe is in his mid 20's so hes the best bet to make the lakers a better team. you dont wanna work around shaq because he is too old.