Author Topic: First Half Of 2004 Awards  (Read 269 times)

Ras Kass' Toothpick

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
First Half Of 2004 Awards
« on: July 01, 2004, 11:08:39 AM »
Album Of The Year (Mainstream Hip-hop Artist)
Royce Da 5'9" - Death Is Certain

Album Of The Year (Underground Hip-hop Artist)
Murs - Murs 3:16 - The 9th Edition

Worst Album Of The Year (Mainstream Hip-hop Artist)
Method Man - Tical 0: The Prequel

Worst Album Of The Year (Underground Hip-hop Artist)
Madvillain - Madvillainy

Song Of The Year
Pete Rock - "Appreciate"

Worst Song Of The Year
Jadakiss - "U Make Me Wanna"
This was the most most difficult category, there was a lot of garbage on the Method Man and Madvillain albums but the chorus on this song is just unlistenable.

Best Production Of The Year
Masta Killa - "Masta Killa" (produced by Baby Dooks)

Worst Produciton Of The Year
Method Man - "Who Ya Rollin Wit" (produced by Jellyroll)

If I can think of more categories I'll post them up later.
Herb Quote Of The Year[/u]

CalebOhio: I think i can speak for many others when i say my favorite rap artists are white but i still want black artists to be dope. they are chosing not to be. that wouldn't be a likely believe held in a white supremacist group. I want Nas to deliver evertime but he doesn't every time Sage does. so Sage gets my $15 regardless or his status. fuck your status perception and labels you use.

tim

Re: First Half Of 2004 Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 02:36:22 PM »
Madvillain - Madvillainy

:-\ :'(

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 07:15:44 PM »
all the ughh.com members would cry if they saw u put madvillany. fuckin nerds

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 07:28:48 PM »
Madvillain - Madvillainy

i agree with you on some things but this is wrong...throughout that album Doom shows how a beat should be rocked properly...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

tim

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 04:38:46 AM »
throughout that album Doom shows how a beat should be rocked properly...

true! 8)
i'm too much of a fan of madlib and mf doom to be objective though. ;)
no, really, it can't be that bad: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDSUB020405292133311136&sql=Aoju67uq030j3 ???

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 07:39:46 AM »
Madvillain - Madvillainy

i agree with you on some things but this is wrong...throughout that album Doom shows how a beat should be rocked properly...

Throwback

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 09:42:36 AM »

Madvillain - Madvillainy
??? i do not agree

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2004, 10:10:49 AM »
I agree with Royce, that was a solid album, good for him.

but madvillain is bullshit

Ras Kass' Toothpick

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004, 10:48:27 AM »
To be fair, I've only heard albums in that category from Murs, Brother Ali, Ill Bill and Madvillain.  I don't really count Saigon's as a proper album, that's like a mixtape.

Rock a beat properly?  He's notoriously off-beat. 
The album is a mess, it's by far the worst of the four I've heard and I don't care how many nerds jock it.  He puts you to sleep with his unenergetic monotone-ish delivery, the beats are boring for the most part and worse of all the format is terrible.  The album sounds like a promo with all those one verse, one and a half minute songs.

CalebOhio: I think i can speak for many others when i say my favorite rap artists are white but i still want black artists to be dope. they are chosing not to be. that wouldn't be a likely believe held in a white supremacist group. I want Nas to deliver evertime but he doesn't every time Sage does. so Sage gets my $15 regardless or his status. fuck your status perception and labels you use.

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2004, 12:22:33 PM »
kanye west - college dropout

eightball and mjg - living legends(i dont know if nerd elitists would still consider them underground)

Worst Album Of The Year (Mainstream Hip-hop Artist)
cassidy - split personality

Madvillain - Madvillainy(most overrated album in recent memory)

Song Of The Year
cormega- "bring it back"

Worst Song Of The Year
?

Masta Killa - "silverbacks" (tru master)

Worst Produciton Of The Year
?

I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

N-Sane Brain

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2004, 12:36:16 PM »
It's hard to name the worst albums, songs, productions, etc. because from some albums I knew that they will be whack and so didn't listen to it. I could probably name the most disappointing album I heard this year, but not the worst. So here's my list without these ratings:

Kanye West - College Dropout

Okayplayer Presents True Notes Vol. 1

Song Of The Year
Saigon feat. Ali Vegas & Mekka Millz - We Want In (hard to name because I listened to so many songs this year)

KRS-One - Illegal Business (hard to name because I listened to so many songs this year)

eS El Duque

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2004, 01:30:30 PM »

LOL..you mean his music is mainstream..or he is mainstream? I think only about a hand full of people know who royce da 5'9" is in my whole fuckin Province..more people know who Immortal Technique is than him lol

Album of the Year

Lloyd Banks - Hunger 4 More  8)

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2004, 03:13:11 PM »
Album of the Year

Lloyd Banks - Hunger 4 More  8)
lol

Ras Kass' Toothpick

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2004, 03:38:52 PM »
LOL..you mean his music is mainstream..or he is mainstream? I think only about a hand full of people know who royce da 5'9" is in my whole fuckin Province..more people know who Immortal Technique is than him lol

The way I separate "mainstream hip-hop artists" from "underground hip-hop artists" is that the mainstream ones are artists that every hip-hop head should know of.  Royce was on Eminem's four times platinum debut, has had at least five videos on television, was several major labels, worked with The Neptunes, Dr. Dre, Eminem and other big names.  You should know him if you are into hip-hop.  I consider Gang Starr, Canibus and Kool G Rap mainstream hip-hop artists too.  Immortal Technique would be nothing to anyone outside NYC if it wasn't for the internet.  He's never been on a major, never had a video, etc.  You wouldn't necessarily know him even if you're a hip-hop head.  That's how I separate the two.