Author Topic: Coolio - It Takes A Thief  (Read 1137 times)

West Coast Veteran

Coolio - It Takes A Thief
« on: May 03, 2001, 02:36:04 AM »

1. Fantastic Voyage - I think everyone has heard this song. It's a CLASSIC track that samples Lakeside's old school track of the same name. The chorus is catchy as hell and Coolio drops some nice verses. 5/5

2. County Line - This is the first Coolio song I ever heard and the first single he dropped solo. So to me this is another CLASSIC song. It has a very Zapp-esque beat and the song is about unemployment/welfare which results in a very hilarious track. 5/5

3. Mama, I'm In Love Wit A Gangsta - Another excellent track which Coolio and female rapper Leshaun trade verses with one another in a conversational style. The beat is nice and laid back. The chorus is catchy as well. 4.5/5

4. Hand On My Nutsac - A mediocre song. The beat is real simple. The lyrics are tight though. Coolio's flow is perfect on the track. 3.5/5

5. Ghetto Cartoon -  A dope ass song! Fucking hilarious! Coolio incorperates all the famous cartoon characters into this story telling track. The chorus is dope with some Reggae influence. 4/5

6. Smokin' Stix - A real funky ass track. The beat seems like some old ass funk. Dope shit! It's about smokin' stix as the title displays. 4/5

7. Can-O-Corn - Another dope track. A laid back beat with strings in the back. A great song about the poverty that goes on in the hood. The chorus is the bombay! A trumpet blows away while Coolio states that a can of corn is the only thing he had to eat as a young "G". 4.5/5

8. U Know Hoo! - This song has a dope beat with some bass guitars in the background. This is a pretty good track but nothing special. 3.5/5

9. It Takes A Thief - A dope story telling type track. The beat is nice with a flute playing in the back with piano keys bumpin'. The chorus is hella catchy too. 4.5/5

10. Bring Back Somthin' Fo Da Hood - A mediocre track. The beat is simple once again. The message is dope. Coolio tries to tell brothers in the hood to take a positive path. 3.5/5

11. N Da Closet - Another funky ass track. The bassline is dope. The track isn't about being a fag in the closet but on an original topic. Coolio describes his tribulent time as a crack fiend. The chorus sounds like some 70's Curtis Mayfield type shit. 4/5

12. On My Way To Harlem - This track has a jazzy beat. It isn't that great. Another mediocre track. The chorus is a trumpet blastin' away without any lyrics. 3.5/5

13. Sticky Fingers - This track was played in the movie Poetic Justice. Pac's cousin was suppose to be the one rapping this song in the movie. The beat is dope. The chorus has dope scratching featuring a snippet of the MC Sticky Fingaz. 4/5

14. Thought You Knew - A classic beat. It's been sampled hundreds of times but this was one of the first times I heard it. I know Janet Jackson even sampled it. The chorus is catchy as a mofo! The lyrics are dope too. 4/5

15. Ugly Bitches - Another hilarious song with a laid back feel. The dope beat was also sampled a gang of times. This song has one of the funniest choruses ever. Coolio reminisces on how he used to kick it with ugly hoes before he blew up. 4/5

16. I Remember - One of the best tracks on the album. The guitar loop or whatever instrument that is goes perfect with the beat. The laid back beat goes well with the topic of the song. Coolio drops a dope verse while Tash of the Alkaholiks makes a memorable guest appearance. 5/5

Overall : 4.5/5

This album is a WEST COAST CLASSIC! One of the best debuts from a West Coast superstar which isn't a genuine classic like Doggystyle or AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted but is right up there with At The Speed Of Life. When everyone was trying to be the hardest nigga in the rap game. Coolio came out with a fresh new album that allowed you to relax and just enjoy the music. He put fun and hilarious songs with a mix of some street joints for everyone to enjoy. He gave me a breath of fresh air from all the gangsta talk that was on top in the early 90's. This album reminds me of the days when Coolio was one of the biggest rappers from the West. Excellent album! Coolio is truly one of the WEST COAST's dopest MC's!

Smooth

Re: Coolio - It Takes A Thief
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2001, 10:18:36 PM »
true dat Vet... shit was BANGIN... 4.5 Mics
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
"Nigga what up now?. you act like a bitch, you bound to get fucked, you trick ass snitch!" - Snoop Dogg - "Buck Em"

"Stranded on death row for pumpin slug's in muthafucka's" - Kurupt - "Stranded on Death Row"

Here's a message to the youngsters today,standing by you can die - Nate Dogg - "One More Day"

Battle Record 1-0

The following users thanked this post: Teddy Loc

RapAce

• 'G'
  • R.A
Re: Coolio - It Takes A Thief
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2001, 09:03:43 AM »
It was aight, I usually dig the commercial onez lezz
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »
"Born a man, Died a legend"
2pac r.i.p

MIC44