Author Topic: Ricky Williams to retire after 5 seasons  (Read 340 times)

2paclbc

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • LBC
Ricky Williams to retire after 5 seasons
« on: July 24, 2004, 11:05:31 PM »
ESPN.com news services
Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams has told the team he plans to retire after just five NFL seasons, The Miami Herald reported on its Web site early Sunday morning.

"He wants to get on with his life, wants to move on to bigger and better things," Herald reporter and ESPN commentator Dan Le Betard told SportsCenter.

According to the Herald's report, Williams wants to travel the world and is tired of the demands and restraints of a professional football career.

"I just don't want to be in this business anymore," Williams told the paper. "I was never strong enough to not play football, but I'm strong enough now. I've considered everything about this. Everyone has thrown every possible scenario at me about why I shouldn't do this, but they're in denial. I'm happy with my decision.

"I'm finally free. I can't remember ever being this happy."

According to Le Batard, the Dolphins are stunned by the news and members of the organization are still trying to talk Williams out of his decision, one the Herald says should be finalized this week when Williams faxes his retirement papers to the league.

Last season, Williams rushed for 1,372 yards on 392 carries, averaging 3.5 yards. He has rushed for 1,000 or more yards in four of his five NFL seasons with the New Orleans Saints and the Dolphins, tallying 6,354 for his career. Williams also had 1,806 receiving yards on 229 catches.

Williams reportedly tested positive for marijuana on Dec. 10, 2003, and faced a fine of at least $650,000 for violating the league's substance-abuse policy for the second time since joining the Dolphins in 2002.

The Saints traded virtually their 1999 entire draft to move up to No. 5 overall to take Williams, a Heisman Trophy winner at the University of Texas.

DAMN, I CANT BELIVE THIS. HES A TIGHT RUNNIN BACK AND RETIREING AT HIS PRIME.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
Re: Ricky Williams to retire after 5 seasons
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 12:10:38 AM »
 :o

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Sikotic™

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 12:27:29 AM »
I'd rather go out in my prime than be forced to leave all beat up and old. It makes sense.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

eS El Duque

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 01:14:36 AM »
I'd rather go out in my prime than be forced to leave all beat up and old. It makes sense.

didn't he have one more year left on his contract? unleast honour that for the fans :-\

good for him though!

The Big Bad Ass

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2004, 01:40:26 AM »
omfg! Talk about coming out of no where. That sucks, I really enjoyed watching Ricky :(

pappy

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 11:05:45 AM »

didn't he have one more year left on his contract? unleast honour that for the fans :-\

good for him though!

NO HE HAD 3 FUCKIN YEARS LEFT.  IM A DIE HARD DOLPHIN FAN IM FUCKIN SHOCKED RIGHT NOW,  THIS IS FUCKIN BULL SHIT DAMN IT. HE WAS ONLY 27 WTF.  HE RETIRED B/C HE'S A POT HEAD AN DIDNT WANNA FAIL THE DRUG TEST ANYMORE.  IM SHOCKED,  SEASON IS OVER FOR MIAMI

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 11:21:42 AM »
^ good I hate Miami

A-Trak

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 11:53:18 AM »
Miami got fucked, bad timing, close to the season already.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 12:06:33 PM »
ahahah, its a good thing Eagles Got Mcnab when they did, instead of Ricky

pappy

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2004, 12:08:34 PM »
^ good I hate Miami

good i hate you now

KING VerbalAssaulta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2004, 02:04:47 PM »
bout time a REAL football thread...im not really suprised..he's battled depression in the past and was never really passionate about football..though how can you just leave millions on the table...he'll regret it later in life when he has to get a real job

Montana00

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2004, 02:43:42 PM »
i was really surprised by this.

The big surprise is that he is retiring so young. Sure hes a millionaire now, but he cant live off that forever.

Maradona

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Goal of the Century
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2004, 02:45:02 PM »
What a smart guy. Go to the NFL, rack in a couple mil, retire.
Picking up the ball from inside his own half, the pint-sized Argentine skipped past challenge after challenge. Always appearing to be on the point of tumbling, he was miraculously able to retain his balance before rounding Peter Shilton and slotting the ball home for a goal manufactured in heaven.

Maradona

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Goal of the Century
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2004, 02:47:03 PM »
i was really surprised by this.

The big surprise is that he is retiring so young. Sure hes a millionaire now, but he cant live off that forever.

Sure he can. Do you think that at any point in your life you have millions in your bank account? No. You don't need to have that much money to live here, everything is based on credit. With that money, I would just invest a lil here n there, and just relax.
Picking up the ball from inside his own half, the pint-sized Argentine skipped past challenge after challenge. Always appearing to be on the point of tumbling, he was miraculously able to retain his balance before rounding Peter Shilton and slotting the ball home for a goal manufactured in heaven.

Sikotic™

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2004, 02:53:31 PM »
As long as he invests his money and make his money work for him, he should be more than well off.

*edit* - damn I gotta work on hitting the space bar at the right time lol
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 03:02:22 PM by Sikotic aka Birdman »
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE