Author Topic: i'm doing a "stealth" subs and amp install...  (Read 167 times)

Don Seer

i'm doing a "stealth" subs and amp install...
« on: July 28, 2004, 08:46:30 AM »
3 days off work... 5 in total since theres a weekend in the middle!

using my existing subs..

as it stands i've got 2 8s in a box that is the full width of my boot/trunk space..

i'm going to relocate and stealth a sub on each side in the spaces behind the wheel arches and find somewhere to put the amp too.

reason for this is i want to 1) stealth my shit better.. 2) tidy up my install since the old box has been brought over from my old car and has some foam to stop it moving.. not pretty... 3) give me the ability to flip my seats forwards

by stealth i mean that if you catch a gliimpse in the boot you will see nothing of interest. am probably going to use a false carpetted side panel on each side. dont think i fancy using fiberglass for the back bit.. i'm hoping i can stash a fairly normal box behind (less funny angles to cut)

anyone got any good links for doing this kind of stuff i can steal ideas from before i get going with the project?

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
Re: i'm doing a "stealth" subs and amp install...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 09:45:09 AM »
you can build a box but If you want it to look like it part of the car you should use fiberglass. It'll mold right to the car and bump better also.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2004, 09:46:57 AM by Craiga »

Suga Foot

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 10:12:04 AM »
if you made a box entirely out of fiberglass, how thick should the walls be?

Don Seer

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 10:34:54 AM »
yeah but i cant be bothered to get messy :)

i know how to work wood, and have the tools :)

i'm thinking of something like this.. but of course covered matching the surrounding material so ya cant see shit...

plus hiding the amp behind a hatch somewhere...
think i'm gonna be able to manage it above a sub on one side

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 12:19:43 PM »
you will know when its thick enough when you can basically run a car over it and it wont break and it doesn't take much to make it that strong.. It usually depends on what I use for thickness. I just wait till its super strong.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 09:27:04 AM »
sounds like a waste of time to me, but good luck

Don Seer

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 11:09:50 AM »
^ lol... to buy the commercial version of just the boxes for both sides of the car will cost £150 per side.. (£300... thats around $500...)..  thats still NOT including equipment..

plus its fun.. you get a LOT of satisfaction from doing it this way

plus....its the cost of a few sheets of MDF ..£20.. 
some glue gun sticks for sealing edges.. £5..
ssome acoustic carpet to finish it off... £10
spray glue for the carpet.. £5
some chicken wire... £5

£45  vs £300

no contest...

on to the  progress update...

i'm not sure i'm gonna be able to fully stealth with what i've got to work with...

also having major problems on one side, which i havent figured yet.. may have to go the glass fiber route for that side... i'm gonna attempt it in wood tho...

for the side thats not so bad i've got a box designed to fit the space,
 and i've made front and back panels for it, i have to do some work getting the depth right.
its kinda hard coz the front panel is one huge 16 x 16 beast that does stealth that entire side..
the sub'll be sat high coz it wouldnt actually fit lower down... so it'll be about 8" from the floor of the boot (trunk :P).. so the speaker will be less likely to get knocked.. but.. i'll still have wire to build some protection for it.

still not sure what to do with the amp.. i may put it on the surface of the 16x16 panel. there isn't box behind the whole panel. the box behind is actually 2 boxes a small one on top of a big one.. that made the volume math easier :)

it also means there are no angled ends to cut.. last time that was a lot of the work.. so i've managed to cut that out entirely from one side :)

i might curve the edges of the outer panel to make it look nice tho..

i'm contemplating leaving one the subs out of the car and having this one side done until the other side is complete.. not sure yet..

« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 11:17:20 AM by Overseer »