Author Topic: Why would anyone really think God exists? ... or even believe in Religion?  (Read 2075 times)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
all you believers, tell me. I dont get it.

I of course know why religion and stuff exists and why some ppl believe in it, but I want to hear your version.

I opened this topic in order to stop the offtopic-ness in several other topics in which we went off-topic starting to debate this ^topic.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

mauzip

This is my first and only reply to this thread because I don't like t discuss about religion.

I'm an athiest. I don't see how anyone can even believe in God (or Allah or whatever there is to believe in LOL). Well, if you get raised with religion I kind of understand... but seriously, if you just think soberly and down to earth... how the fuck can you believe in (a) God? Really, I don't get it. When I was in America many Mormons tried to convert me (I believe that's part of their religion :P), but nobody will ever be able to get me to believe.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, it are just my 5 cents.

Suga Foot

I'm not Religious, but I'm not Atheist.  To me, being Atheist is the same as being Religious.  Both spend time thinking and acting about god(s); whether positively or negatively.  It's all the same to me.  I choose not to even think about it.  I don't feel I need that in my life.  But at the same time, it's easy for me to see why people feel the way they do.

I don't think Religious people are weak minded.  They are religious because they like it.  It makes them feel good to believe in what they do.  If it didn't, they wouldn't do it.  Simple as that.  That's how I see it anyway.

You can't prove that God exsists, just like you can't prove he doesn't.  Nobody knows how everything got here.  But does it really matter?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 11:25:18 AM by Adon »

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
For many years in my life, I questioned wither God existed or not. The questioned wrestled in my head, because one I am raised Catholic so according to that the question should never be brought up, and two there is no way a reasonable person can prove God exist. I tried reading the Bible, but all I got was a huge confusing story about Jews and kings and stuff like that, and a God that we can't prove existed. Over the course of my life, many things have happened that can't be explained. My mother was sick from many years of drug use, and was getting worst. The doctors could do nothing. Like any person that was desprate, I prayed like I never prayed before. When all my prayers where out, and I was ready to give up, my mom was better. Since then I have prayed over many things, things that there is no way it can be done, and God has answered my prayers. In the Bible, it says seek and you shall find, as Jesus said that himself. It is historical fact Jesus was a real person. Now if he was truly who he said he was, or a old school hippy with some identity problems is up for your debate. But when you feel God's presents, and he is there for you, it is hard to not believe in him. A interesting fact, if you go to third world nations, or poor communities, the people who have every right in the world to hate God, or Allah, of whoever, they are the most religious people. Those that have been blessed by a religious person judgement, they are the least religious. Food for thought.

Gangstauu

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FC Utrecht 4 Life
Word
I believ in him too
Im not really being raised catholic, But I know he exsist, He helps me when I pray
I just feel it in my hart, yall know im sayin
I dont care if u or anyone else believs in god, I can be down wit ya.
But dont disrespect, then I cant be down wit ya

pz

One day everything is gonna be fine
But until that day my only reply "westside till I die"  -TQ

West Up

Utreg 4 Life

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
there is no god

davida.b.

God exists alright. I used to be an athiest. I'd say shit like "Fuck God". Then after I graduated from the 6th grade, my life really started to suck. It took me a while, but after i put two and two together, I realized God was doing these things to me to punish me for badmouthing him. I don't really beleive in religion. How the fuck are we supposed to know what God wants? Only thing religion does is divide us.

Don Seer

religion can exist without god ;)

look at it like this... even a christian who doesn't believe in "god" can still believe in the message taught

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!

We will all find out in the end.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 03:24:27 PM by Machiavelli »

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
The reason why the worst countries to live in are generally the most religious is because religion gives hopes and makes promises of things getting better in the future.

Sure, weak-mindedness is neither a requirement nor a characteristic of religious people as a whole. But in general, such people are more likely to be(come) religious as they have more need for an external hope and drive then stronger-willed people. I feel it's the hope provided that makes people religious. You'll have more succes trying to convert an addict trying his very hardest to become clean again then converting someone who's unreligious and very happy in life.
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..

Trauma-san

My only comment will be that one of the most ironic things I've ever noticed about religion, is that those who don't believe in it, or God, usually have a pretty negative or condescending view of those who do; all the while thinking that the religious one is the overzealous bigot. 

Trauma-san

Quote from: Z the laidback Virus
I feel it's the hope provided that makes people rt trying his very hardest to become clean again then converting someone who's unreligious and very happy in life.

A greater man than you once said it more eloquently:

(Matthew 19:23-25.)

23 ¶ Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Mdogg, Z, Trauma..

.. to me, the whole reason for the fact that happy ppl most frequently give a fuck about praying and ppl with a fucked up life or many problems most frequently pray every day, is simple.

you know the saying "Opium for the People" -- religion is like a drug for the poor. When you have nothing in life, you pray to god cause an imaginary figure is all you can rely on in life, sad as it may sound. That's the only thing you can catch hope from. When your mother is ill and no doctor can do shit, all you can do is talk to an imaginary figure. And so on. Works for everything.
and on the other hand, when you have everything you want in a happy life, and dont want to change anything that you couldnt easily do by yourself, why the hell would you talk to an imaginary figure? you dont even need hope or something. there's simply no need. so you dont give a crap about praying, dont go to church, dont live religious, dont believe in god. why the hell should you? you dont need "Him". you can deal with the fact that he does not exist, cause you dont need Him.

of course the persons who do need God wont accept the fact that he doesnt really exist that easy. that's what it's all about.

p.s.: dont get me wrong Im not saying that Atheists are always happy and strong believers always arent. nono.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

pappy

Mdogg, Z, Trauma..

.. to me, the whole reason for the fact that happy ppl most frequently give a fuck about praying and ppl with a fucked up life or many problems most frequently pray every day, is simple.

you know the saying "Opium for the People" -- religion is like a drug for the poor. When you have nothing in life, you pray to god cause an imaginary figure is all you can rely on in life, sad as it may sound.

what about people that are well to do that believe in god.  what about people that are not poor,  not well to do but still believe.  Man your whole idea is fucked upl.

Montana00

Poor people arent the only group of people that believe in God.

Gods sole purpose isnt a crutch for people who have horrible lives.