Author Topic: Why would anyone really think God exists? ... or even believe in Religion?  (Read 2074 times)

Sikotic™

All denominations and religions aside, I believe in a divine creator based on common logic.

Someone/something had to create this world, this universe we live in. You look around in today's society, buildings have to be built, they do not just develop over hundreds of millions of years. Factories to not run on their own, people have to keep it running and maintain it. Cars and airplanes do not just come together over long periods of time, to believe that would be simply illogical.

So with that, I just cannot believe that this world was developed over hundreds of millions of years by shear luck. Even if the world came together by chance, why does it run like a well oiled machine? I think it takes more faith to believe that than all of the religions combined.

I don't know how anyone can go outside, look around at his environment, and believe that it all came together by chance.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
All denominations and religions aside, I believe in a divine creator based on common logic.

Someone/something had to create this world, this universe we live in. You look around in today's society, buildings have to be built, they do not just develop over hundreds of millions of years. Factories to not run on their own, people have to keep it running and maintain it. Cars and airplanes do not just come together over long periods of time, to believe that would be simply illogical.

So with that, I just cannot believe that this world was developed over hundreds of millions of years by shear luck. Even if the world came together by chance, why does it run like a well oiled machine? I think it takes more faith to believe that than all of the religions combined.

I don't know how anyone can go outside, look around at his environment, and believe that it all came together by chance.

When I was in doubt, that argument was the only reason I even gave God a second thought.

Trauma-san

Yeah, I think of that pretty much daily.  I'm a hippie, though. 

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
yeah like sikotik said, even if the world came together by chance how does and DID it get so complex and work so well.

also on another tip, i've noticed

many people who really believe in and follow god really live happier lives than those who don't

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully

Mdogg, Z, Trauma..

.. to me, the whole reason for the fact that happy ppl most frequently give a fuck about praying and ppl with a fucked up life or many problems most frequently pray every day, is simple.

you know the saying "Opium for the People" -- religion is like a drug for the poor. When you have nothing in life, you pray to god cause an imaginary figure is all you can rely on in life, sad as it may sound.

what about people that are well to do that believe in god.  what about people that are not poor,  not well to do but still believe.  Man your whole idea is fucked upl.

yeah like sikotik said, even if the world came together by chance how does and DID it get so complex and work so well.

many people who really believe in and follow god really live happier lives than those who don't

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
The main argument of our believers is that they can not understand how everything could have come to be by chance. The observant reader will notice that this argument is one based on negative grounds. It basically says that because they are not able to comprehend it, it can't have been the case. Their argument is thus based on the limitations of their imagination.

This is not to say that is stupid or bad..I find it incredible too. But I find the idea of an allmighty power creating, yes making, every single thing by itself while it being immortal and without origin itself much more unbelievable then life being the result of a extraordinary chemical reaction. Where would this allmighty power itself have come from? I see people writing ' How could life itself have been without an external origin?' The same works for God. And in that case we aren't dealing with anything simple and undeveloped as the first living cell would of course have been but with something that is supposed to be the greatest thing ever to have existed. Completely improbable.
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high

Another reason why the phrase 'Religion is opium for the people' is so on point.
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..

Rain

im an atheist. i see no need to have God (or a similar holy figure) in my life. I guide my own ethics and morals with no guide from a book and I have no need to thinks humans as more then just a biological creature. i find life as amazing as it is, no need to add some sort of holy level to it.

But I understand why people do follow religions and believe in God. They need to be comforted by something, they need an uncorrupted hero to admire and look for guidance from since that doesn't exist within humanity. I havent been through that much trauma through my life but some people have had it fucked. they need to feel there is a superior being there for them. it keeps people going so I respect it. I don't think its stupidity or being naive - just satsifying certain needs.
"We need to find courage, overcome
Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction"
- Faithless - Mass Destruction

"It's better to help people than garden gnomes."
- Amelie (2001)

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
- Franklin Roosevelt

"Power to the people, not the governments."
- Chuck D

"The possibility of physical and mental breakdown is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride."
- Raoul Duke

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
good god why have I to explain everything  >:(

my response, that isnt "fucked up" at all, was referring to this:
A interesting fact, if you go to third world nations, or poor communities, the people who have every right in the world to hate God, or Allah, of whoever, they are the most religious people. Those that have been blessed by a religious person judgement, they are the least religious. Food for thought.

A greater man than you once said it more eloquently:

(Matthew 19:23-25.)

23 ¶ Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

The reason why the worst countries to live in are generally the most religious is because religion gives hopes and makes promises of things getting better in the future.

I also said
p.s.: dont get me wrong Im not saying that Atheists are always happy and strong believers always arent. nono.

'nuff bout this...

The main argument of our believers is that they can not understand how everything could have come to be by chance. The observant reader will notice that this argument is one based on negative grounds. It basically says that because they are not able to comprehend it, it can't have been the case. Their argument is thus based on the limitations of their imagination.

Damn right. Ppl cant understand something, so they create something bigger. Same thing with UFOs :D, ppl dont know what it is, so it must be something  greater.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Leggy Hendrix

I'm not Religious, but I'm not Atheist.  To me, being Atheist is the same as being Religious.  Both spend time thinking and acting about god(s); whether positively or negatively.  It's all the same to me.  I choose not to even think about it.  I don't feel I need that in my life.  But at the same time, it's easy for me to see why people feel the way they do.

I don't think Religious people are weak minded.  They are religious because they like it.  It makes them feel good to believe in what they do.  If it didn't, they wouldn't do it.  Simple as that.  That's how I see it anyway.

You can't prove that God exsists, just like you can't prove he doesn't.  Nobody knows how everything got here.  But does it really matter?

those are pretty much my views on the subject...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

Entreri117

• Master Chief
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
I do not believe in God.  I believe in the scientific theory of how the world started...why?...because it makes sense to me.  Alot of people's arguments about God are "someone/something must have created to world and universe."  Well...says who?  How do people know God created the universe?  How do people know he didn't?

The answer is that noone knows.  No athiest, christian, jew, muslim, or scientist knows exactly how the universe was created.  Religous people say God...scientists say the Big Bang or some other theory.  But honestly people, and hear me when I say this:  does it really matter?  Honestly...its not like "I wondered how the universe started" is a thought on our minds at all times.  I believe the universe came to be from the big bang, but other than that, I really don't care.

Listen people...at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how the world or universe was created, or why it was created.  The world is here...and so is the universe.  I say stop pondering/wondering/questioning how everything came to be...and just be glad everything is where its at now.  I know I am a human being that will die someday, so these thoughts/questions really don't bother me.  I live my life the way I do, and others live theirs the way that they do.  What happens to me when I die doesn't keep me up at night either.  I don't know what will happen...just as noone knows what will happen.

Once again, I say stop concerning yourselves with how everything began, and just concern yourselves with whats going on now.

pappy

religion does not promise a better life.  It says if you live a good life an follow your goin to heaven.  But it dont say that if you follow the religion your life will be better on earth.

Trauma-san

My only comment will be that one of the most ironic things I've ever noticed about religion, is that those who don't believe in it, or God, usually have a pretty negative or condescending view of those who do; all the while thinking that the religious one is the overzealous bigot. 

Sikotic™

Once again, I say stop concerning yourselves with how everything began, and just concern yourselves with whats going on now.

It would make things easier, but that's what human beings do best, investigate because we're curious.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
My only comment will be that one of the most ironic things I've ever noticed about religion, is that those who don't believe in it, or God, usually have a pretty negative or condescending view of those who do; all the while thinking that the religious one is the overzealous bigot. 

why did you quote yourself and not reply ???