Author Topic: Why would anyone really think God exists? ... or even believe in Religion?  (Read 2073 times)

Montana00

How did God come to existance?

im not being a smartass, this question goes to anyone who can answer it. im curious.

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!

im not being a smartass, this question goes to anyone who can answer it. im curious.

The bible states that the human mind is to "weak" comprehend God or creation.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 08:12:19 PM by Machiavelli »

Sikotic™

Why would anyone NOT think God exsists?
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Entreri117

• Master Chief
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
i like being athiast. i just cant belive in a god, its not for me, its too fairy tale, plus i like science, i like theorys, and evolution and big bang, make more sense to me than a mystical magical all powerfull guy who created US  and then put his son on the earth..... blah blah blah, to me, its just rediculous,

How did the big bang get their?

If you would read my reply at the top of the page...

The Big Bang didn't get "there" at all...its a theory...just as God is a theory IMO.  In truth, noone and no-thing can prove or disprove if God exists...and to me the Bible is a fucking novel, no more, so don't bring that up.  Honestly...does anyone have actual physical tangible evidence that God or some other divine being created the world and the universe?  No they don't...just as they have no physical tangible evidence of the Big Bang.

This is a pointless discussion.  Believe what you want people, as everyone else does the same.  To me, the ONLY event/thing that could ever possibly make me religous is if God himself came down from "heaven", into my house, and we had a nice long conversation.

Hey Machiavelli...answer this then, holy man.  If the human mind is too weak to comprehend God, then how was it possible Abraham or Moses talked to God?  Were the super humans?  No...they were normal people...which explains that they could not have spoken to God...and which makes them mentally unstable IMO.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 09:15:59 PM by Artemis Entreri »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

I have no doubts in God. I don't feel like typing up a whole essay on why...PeACe

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
It's interesting that a person's motive for believing in God could be used to negate his(God's) exitance, like saying " If someone's life is shitty he's gonna believe in god for the sake of hope, to endure the hard times, meaning that God is actually an illusion, Opium for the people if you will, a Psychological protection mechanism, distortion of reallity"----->How would u explain rich and sucsessfull people who believe in God than?!---> easilly, the more you have to loose the more apprehensive you are as for loosing it, a stressfull situation, a frustration equivalent to that of a poor person, and again the person is searching for a refuge, and finds GOD."

A discussion concerning the psychological motives that bring a person to believe in some fictional saviour is off-throwing and is a playground for speculation since it's about the person's subjective preception of GOD. The questions you need to ask in order to try and comprehand GOD are diffrend, What triggered the begining( Not what was in the begning), What started it? How do you define GOD?
Is GOD a parallel for love or hope in your mind? - If so, you're getting into your subjective reallity conditioned viewes again. Can something emerge out of nothing? phisiclly NO, than how do you explain the start of every metter in the universe? What is perfect emptyness? what was there before there was anything? In a Random combination of possible consequenses how come a creature that can ask itself these questions was produced?

« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 12:17:51 AM by I TO DA GEEZY »
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
It's interesting that a person's motive for believing in God could be used to negate his(God's) exitance, like saying " If someone's life is shitty he's gonna believe in god for the sake of hope, to endure the hard times, meaning that God is actually an illusion, Opium for the people if you will, a Psychological protection mechanism, distortion of reallity"----->How would u explain rich and sucsessfull people who believe in God than?!---> easilly, the more you have to loose the more apprehensive you are as for loosing it, a stressfull situation, a frustration equivalent to that of a poor person, and again the person is searching for a refuge, and finds GOD."

A discussion concerning the psychological motives that bring a person to believe in some fictional saviour is off-throwing and is a playground for speculation since it's about the person's subjective preception of GOD. The questions you need to ask in order to try and comprehand GOD are diffrend, What triggered the begining( Not what was in the begning), What started it? How do you define GOD?
Is GOD a parallel for love or hope in your mind? - If so, you're getting into your subjective reallity conditioned viewes again. Can something emerge out of nothing? phisiclly NO, than how do you explain the start of every metter in the universe? What is perfect emptyness? what was there before there was anything? In a Random combination of possible consequenses how come a creature that can ask itself these questions was produced?

1. if nothing can emerge out of nothing, how can there be a God in the first place?
2. from your last lines, I regard that you think humans are way too great to just be there without being created by a higher being. I have to say youre dead wrong. Human arent all that. Definitely not. We were just blessed by evolution, so that we became the smartest folks on earth, but that is where it stops.
3. so if God created everything, and humans have a soul and shit, how do you define humans? let's say humans are evolutionized apes. so, during the process from apes to human, when was it actually homo sapiens and when was it still a dumb creature? when did the soul fly into the being!? also, how come so much time elapsed until these cool humans emerged. I mean, Dinosaurs were here WAY longer than we, and we will destroy ourselves WAY faster than the Dinosaurs were wiped out. Hm, OR, Do Dinosaurs have had souls too? Are Dinosaurs in heaven too?
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!

1. if nothing can emerge out of nothing, how can there be a God in the first place?
2. from your last lines, I regard that you think humans are way too great to just be there without being created by a higher being. I have to say youre dead wrong. Human arent all that. Definitely not. We were just blessed by evolution, so that we became the smartest folks on earth, but that is where it stops.
3. so if God created everything, and humans have a soul and shit, how do you define humans? let's say humans are evolutionized apes. so, during the process from apes to human, when was it actually homo sapiens and when was it still a dumb creature? when did the soul fly into the being!? also, how come so much time elapsed until these cool humans emerged. I mean, Dinosaurs were here WAY longer than we, and we will destroy ourselves WAY faster than the Dinosaurs were wiped out. Hm, OR, Do Dinosaurs have had souls too? Are Dinosaurs in heaven too?

1.Here's the thing, nothing can emerge out of emptyness, that's what physics preaches, it's true as far as every possible metter in the universe goes, if you take GOD as metter or as a physical object than your question is adequate, However I don't, I have no idea how to define it in earthly\human terminology, I don't think anyone can, may be you can, that's why acording to you God couldn't have just existed--> something needed to create him too as far as human logic goes, right?---Well, before there was anything, before there was even "time" do you think such definitions as "before" and "after" existed?!....in an emptyness, with no time, no metter, no space as well, complete un-comprehandable nothingness....
2.Oh no, I don't see humans as so Great that they just had to be created by a higher being but only as a creature which could be self concious enough to question it's own creation and evolvement, questions through which it could come to a conclusion it can't comprehand the creation to it's fullest and still be aware of it, it's a paradox if you haven't realised by now---Knowing all the basic rules up on which the universe opperates and to be unable to explain it's start, since it's start defies it's own rules, all we know is this, mathmaticlly as far as probabillity goes,  The conditions on planet earth are among the most unlikely and coincidencial in the universe and than billions of years later by that same coincidence a creature evolves to a point it could question it's own existance....doesn't it seem like some kind of a pattern?
3.Here you go talking about souls and stuff, If you've noticed I haven't said a word about souls, I haven't said a thing about the bible's interpretation of history, mainly because it's very perplexing and complex.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 07:00:52 AM by I TO DA GEEZY »

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
oh one more thing as for" being blessed by evolution" as you noted, did you know that Darwin before his death admited his theory to be incorect?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 11:46:46 PM by I TO DA GEEZY »

Montana00

The bible states that the human mind is to "weak" comprehend God or creation.
....ok.

Trauma-san

In my opinion, many times (not all) it comes down to two things.

1. They've had lonely depressing horrible childhoods
2. Their parents didn't believe and taught them it was 'intelligent' not to believe in stories a.k.a. religion
2. They don't want to believe that they're not in control of things

Thirteen

this thread is like trying to convince someone why my favorite color is blue....or that america gives the most on foreign aid  ;D

Trauma-san

Inspired by I Geezy's intelligent discussion on the topic, I thought I'd say one more thing.

In my opinion, there's 3 things humans cannot understand even enough to make intelligent conversation about,

1. God
2. Time
3. Space

We don't understand any of the three, because all three are impossible to our understanding of the world.  So ultimately, you can't MAKE someone believe what you believe, or think what you think about any of the three, because any understanding of them is unexpressionable.  You may, if you're lucky, one day just 'feel' or be enlightened to a better understanding of any of the three, but you often won't be able to discuss it or express it.   

Trauma-san

OH, and just to further complicate the discussion, the next two things on the list are

4. Love
5. Music

Which are a LITTLE BIT more understandable, but still very much a mystery to most of us. 

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!

In my opinion, many times (not all) it comes down to two things.

1. They've had lonely depressing horrible childhoods
2. Their parents didn't believe and taught them it was 'intelligent' not to believe in stories a.k.a. religion
2. They don't want to believe that they're not in control of things

disgusting.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin