Author Topic: 5 biggest waste of talent in sports history  (Read 1048 times)

hector

Re: 5 biggest waste of talent in sports history
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2004, 11:26:50 AM »

....how can someone say barry sander????  he's still the greatest running back ever

how so?  he had too short of a career to be considered the greatest.  plus I don't think he holds any records.  nor has he ever won a championship.

eS El Duque

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2004, 12:27:17 PM »
agree with all. acouple more.

- Darius Miles = Wasn't he supposed to be the Next KG?
- Eric Lindros = Was the Next Great Player in the NHL, Concussions fucked him up
- Grant Hill = Dude is still getting paid mad cash for sitting on the bench.
- David Boston

I agree with the first three

but why David Boston?

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2004, 12:51:41 PM »
Ricky Williams- Giving up $15 million bucks a season to smoke reefer....
8)

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2004, 04:42:13 PM »
Grant Hill (Even though it ain't his fault)
Rodman (actually a good player)
Strawberry
Shawn Kemp (damn he fucked up, used to be one of the best in the league)

Trauma-san

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2004, 09:40:44 PM »
Bo Jackson - he got injured

Jose Canseco - had a good career, but just too short, and he made some mistakes

As mentioned above.  There was a brief time when Jose Canseco was God.  I dunno what in the world happened, but man, he fell off like nobody's ever fallen off before. 

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2004, 10:55:38 PM »
kobe bryant, instead of leaving to go to a good team, he stays with a team thats going to bring him down.

LMFAO!...Hating at its finest.

ecrazy

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2004, 12:22:22 AM »
kobe bryant, instead of leaving to go to a good team, he stays with a team thats going to bring him down.
Oh Soo True

CLIPPERS BITCH!

eKardz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I bleed red white and blue, I am a New York Ranger
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2004, 12:31:14 AM »
im gonna have to say.

eric lindros due to concussions, but most importantly his father carl sucking huge cock at being an agent.

.:DayGoStyLz:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • MC's...dont wake me...
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2004, 05:36:48 PM »
Damn, theres alot actually...

Griffey-probably the top of the list. For a long time he was really the only reason i watched baseball. Never was a baseball fan, but i was a Griffey fan since his first day in the league.

Jeff George-His attitude and leadership skills just sucked. But his arm was one of the best ever. Even while playing for the Raiders, Broncos coach Mike Shannahan said that of the 10 best passes he'd ever seen...George had thrown 9 of em. Remember, he coached Elway.

Grant Hill/Penny Hardaway-Injuries are a bitch

BTW, not to talk shit. But why would anyone put Kobe or Barry Sanders up here. Kobe's a fag, but i wouldnt call him a waste of talent. He just needs to grow up some is all. Sanders retired early...but he's obviously a FAR better runner them Emmitt Smith was...and probably (IMO) the best runner of all time.

hector

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2004, 06:04:12 PM »

BTW, not to talk shit. But why would anyone put Kobe or Barry Sanders up here. Kobe's a fag, but i wouldnt call him a waste of talent. He just needs to grow up some is all. Sanders retired early...but he's obviously a FAR better runner them Emmitt Smith was...and probably (IMO) the best runner of all time.

for those that can't read properly:

I put barry sanders up there because he could have been so much more.  I agree, and already said, I think he is way better than emmit smith.  but barry sanders did not have a long enough career to prove certain things, such as longevity.  He doesn't hold any records (that I know of) and he doesn't have a single championship.  those are things I think you must have to be considered the best.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • MC's...dont wake me...
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2004, 09:52:58 PM »
He doesn't hold any records (that I know of) and he doesn't have a single championship.  those are things I think you must have to be considered the best.

No u dont.

And i read it just fine. He just isnt a "waste of talent". He's in the Hall of Fame now. And like i said, is considered by many, if not most as the best runner ever. There backs like Payton, Brown, etc that can be argued as better backs...but not better "runners". Sanders is hands down the best. At the very least, 1/3 of all analysts would probably pick him as the best ever...sounds like a waste of talent to me.  ::)

hector

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2004, 10:10:03 PM »
what records does he hold?

and I think he was a great running back.  Your right, he wasn't a waste of talent, he was the best thing that ever happened to the lions.  I just think his career didn't reach his full potential.  Calling him a waste of talent is definately the wrong word usage.  What I mean is he had a dissapointing early finish.  not dissapointing meaning he had a bad career, dissapointing meaning that I think he could have unarguably been the best running back of all time.

ecrazy

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2004, 02:02:44 AM »
Ryan Leaf - Formally From The San Diego Chargers

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • MC's...dont wake me...
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2004, 03:29:37 AM »
what records does he hold?

and I think he was a great running back.  Your right, he wasn't a waste of talent, he was the best thing that ever happened to the lions.  I just think his career didn't reach his full potential.  Calling him a waste of talent is definately the wrong word usage.  What I mean is he had a dissapointing early finish.  not dissapointing meaning he had a bad career, dissapointing meaning that I think he could have unarguably been the best running back of all time.

ok thats cool. Seein as the topic title was the biggest wastes of talent. I thought u were saying that he was. True, i wish he would have stuck around longer to break every record (because he would have). But, records are just that...records. To me, they dont define how great u are. Sometimes, they just define how long u played...or, in Emmitts case, how great those around you are. Especially in football where its SUCH a team game.

Btw, i have another to add to the list...

Tim Brown-Raiders. Now, im the biggest Raider fan youlll ever know, but me and M-Dogg were talkin bout this the other day. Tim Brown has had an unbelievable career. And has definetely been underrated, even tho his stats have spoken for themself. The only reason i put him in this category is because he hasnt had a great quarterback around him his whole career. Gannon is good, and very accurate...but thats about it. His whole career has been with QB's like Todd Marinovich, Jay Shroeder (however u spell it), Jeff George (who was on my earlier list), Hostetler (who wasnt as good as is Superbowl appearence was), etc. Basically the only receiver ahead of Brown in most statitistical categories is Jerry Rice who played a majority of his career with Joe Montana and Steve Young and in a passing offense. The Raiders always had a back and forth kinda thing. They like the power running game, and the deep ball (until recently). None of those really play to Brown (or Jerry really). Imagine Tim Browns numbers had he played his whole career with 2 hall of famers throwin him the ball. Now, dont get me wrong...this is like the Barry Sanders thing lol. Im not saying he was a waste...im just saying, imagine what he could have been.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2004, 09:41:32 AM »
I don't know if your the biggest Raiders fan ever. I almost hit my dean in college, who is a 6'5" 260 lbs. big black man former Green Bay Packer because he was rooting for Tampa Bay in the Super Bowl (his a Florida boy). I would have got kicked outta college and beat up, but for the Raiders it's worth it... lol.

Tim Brown is only surpased by Jerry Rice in most every stat, receiving yards, catches, everything. Now Brown has had different systems around him, were as Rice always had a system that coaches took full advantage of his skills. Not saying Brown is better than Rice, because without a doubt, Rice is the greatest receiver ever, but Brown has been underrated as a great receiver. His the second best receiver of his era, if not of all time. But no one really gives him his due.

Barry Sanders was close to breaking Payton's rushing record, and if he decided to play longer, he would. The Detroit Lions were not, or are not, ever going to win the Super Bowl. But at least with Barry Sanders on their team they made the playoffs. Barry Sanders ran the Silver Dome turf like no other player in NFL history. He was never a waste, his became a first ballot Hall of Famer, he came close to many records, records he could have broke if he'd play even one more year, and had he ever went to say the 49ers, he'd have a Super Bowl ring, and more than likely a MVP award too. How is he a waste of talent.