Author Topic: Who's playing Doom3 then?  (Read 228 times)

Don Seer

Who's playing Doom3 then?
« on: August 13, 2004, 07:01:02 AM »
fri 13th... its finally out over here... (but yeah i've been setting my machine up to run it well with a ripped off copy...)

so will be doin some deathmatching later if i can find a server

..all the people i work with that i'd normally play this with are addicted to Star Wars Galaxies (bahhhhh)

anyone? :)

i havent played a FPS since q3a... i used to be really really good.. i notice in single player my reactions are coming back.. so we'll see :)

Montana00

Re: Who's playing Doom3 then?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 07:33:01 AM »
i downloaded it so i dont have a valid cd key.

also i uninstalled it before i even finished the game, because i didnt like it.

Don Seer

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 07:35:39 AM »

did it scare you too much?  :D

Montana00

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 08:59:02 AM »

did it scare you too much?  :D
yea i got scared (flashlight,pitch dark, no weapon, and scary music)

but after awhile it just got too repetitive, and the levels all looked alike.

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 10:35:28 AM »
I'm just breezing through it in God mode for the fuck of it. To see what kinds of scene's they've managed to come up with and shit. It got really boring really fast. Just the same shit over and over. Not even the chainsaw brought any new fun into it. And it's really gay how the dude can't hold the flashlight AND his weapon up at the same time. It really sucks that for the whole game you're surrounded by darkness. Granted, the occasional scary moments wouldn't work if the place was properly lit, but the darkness gets just annoying as you go along. And GOD some of the enemy designs are stupid... Upside down heads with spider legs? Skeletons with rocket launchers on their shoulders? Bitch pleeze. (The basic zombies look good though. It's cool how some are in flames and some got weapons like wrenches and chainsaws...)

But I gotta say, ID once again did a heck of a job with the engine. The level architechture doesn't bring anything new, but the character detail and the dynamic lighting (and especially how SMOOTHLY the lighting works) are off the hook. Having full motion video in the levels is cool too (like on the TV's and shit). Also it's pretty cool that when you shoot a bullet at somebody (or something) it leaves a hole in the body.

Somebody like Raven Software is bound to came along and make a wicked game with the engine that's a lot more fun.

Or not. We'll see how the Source engine Half-Life 2 runs on turns out in the end. That one shouldn't be such a resource whore though as the Doom 3 engine is.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 10:43:33 AM by T-Dogg »

Don Seer

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 11:17:12 AM »
^ Raven is doing Quake 4 right now based on this engine :)

a lot of the enemies are based upon the old ones, they stuck to the original script

KING VerbalAssaulta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 12:14:04 PM »
i've been reading this game is a disappointment...appears to be just a looker that falls short on gameplay

Don Seer

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 01:10:21 PM »
yeah people have been saying that about the gameplay.. i'm not far enough in yet really.

the originals weren't exactly riveting though.

its f*ckin scary in places.. and its gonna be tweaked to hell with cool maps, addons etc...

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 01:17:39 PM »
i've been reading this game is a disappointment...appears to be just a looker that falls short on gameplay

Well there isn't anything horribly wrong about the gameplay, just that it gets repetitive with the constant darkness and the sudden BOO! type of effects. I'm well over the midway point of the game as far as I understand. The scariness winds down eventually... (Except for this one type of enemy - they look like human babies, but they've got insect wings and metallic arms. They chuckle and do whatever sounds babies do... until they attack. I always hate it when I'm surrounded by darkness and then hear a chuckle of a baby... Cause I know those muthafuckas are coming again.)

Controls, weapons balance, powerup placement, enemies... that all works fine. And you aren't constantly searching for some missing keycard all over the level, the action & suspense is pretty much constant. So it's just the constant darkness and the flashlight/weapon switching that I'm not too happy about.

But if your machine can handle it, it is worth to just take a look at the engine in action. I play on medium settings (that's the second lowest setting out of the four) and it still looks hella good. Plus, it's something to play before Half-Life 2 comes out. ;D

Don Seer

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2004, 01:42:13 AM »

what kinda machine u got t-dogg?

i got a p4 3 gig HT with 1 gig of dual channelled PC3200... and a 256 meg 5950 ultra (with my vivo..)

i'm getting timedemo's of 40 fps at 1024x768 with 2xAF (down from the default of 8x) and high quality, with v sync on. (get around 45fps with vsync off..)

Montana00

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2004, 04:45:56 AM »
dam nice system, musta cost a fortune.

I had mine on medium setting too. There was no lag and it looked good, so why bother upping the settings.

2.4ghz P4
768mb Ram
Radeon 9600

Woodrow

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2004, 08:00:07 AM »
I'm just breezing through it in God mode for the fuck of it. To see what kinds of scene's they've managed to come up with and shit. It got really boring really fast.
So you cheated and it got boring?!

GET OUT!!!!

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2004, 09:15:18 AM »
I'm just breezing through it in God mode for the fuck of it. To see what kinds of scene's they've managed to come up with and shit. It got really boring really fast.
So you cheated and it got boring?!

GET OUT!!!!

No, it got boring and then I cheated. After the second or third level (not counting the first one where nothing happens) I haven't seen anything I didn't see in the beginning, excluding the new monsters that come along. But they're nothing to get excited about. ALL the levels are dark, long tunnels with pretty much the same set of grey textures on the walls. So I looked up the codes and decided to see what kinds of situations they've come up with in the rest of the game. So far nothing to go WOW! over. All that ever happens is that some monster suddenly spawns behind you or jumps in front of you from the shadows. It made you jump the first couple of times, but after you've seen it a gazillion times it gets a whole lot less scary.

About my system, I haven't got anything special.

AMD XP 2600+
512 Mb DDRAM (333Mhz) (Could use more of this...)
Ati Radeon 9800 Pro

Your system is nice though Seer... But then again I'm still financed by my Dad in these issues. And the fucking stores in town won't give me a job.

At first the game didn't perform very well at all for me, but then I got Ati's 4.9 BETA drivers they released just for Doom 3. With those the performance has been smooth, but my video card is obviously pushed to the limit with these BETA drivers since every time I play the game there are these small white spots flickering on the screen. It doesn't really bother me, but you can tell that my Ati chip is on its limits. Maybe it'll get better when they get the new proper drivers out. But what I've read on other forums and articles around the net, it's pretty obvious that Doom 3 is clearly optimized for nVidia video cards. Seems like all the game studios most often optimize their product for one type of card nowadays. Half-Life 2 is clearly optimized for Ati cards though, and that I'm jolly about. ;D In a benchmark the Ati cards perform way better in Half-Life 2 than nVidias:

(EDIT: There was supposed to be a bar graph here displaying the clear victory of the Radeon over the nVidia in HL 2, but they don't apparently allow linking to their images.)

Now all they need to do is release the muthafucka for me to play!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 12:18:37 PM by T-Dogg »

Don Seer

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2004, 11:19:20 AM »

if you were following the plot of course the first levels are the same, because you go to find that dude.. then have to go back to marine command again..

my system wasn't that much... i only just got the card, it had on board... the base machine is a "asus terminator 2" very cool lil case... you'd wet yourself if you knew how much disk space i've got.. lol

rumour is doom3 is nvidia biased because ATI are the ones that leaked that alpha of doom3..

also because ATI havent kept up work on their opengl and concentrated on dx9..
whereas nvidia did the opposite...

thing is.. you say now to someone.. what card i need for doom3?

they're gonna say nvidia 6800gt...

i've always liked nvidia, but can't deny ATI have been top dog for the last couple years.. thats about to change.. ATI have made a few slip ups..

i could have bought a low end 6800 with 128 meg.. but for the same money i got a 5950 ultra with the video capture stuff (my vivo)..

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2004, 12:33:48 PM »
Could go either way I think. Now with Doom 3 nVidia should go up in sales, then Quake 4 should further promote their product. ATI's position is pretty much determined how big of a hit HL 2 will be and will the Source engine become popular. The Doom 3 engine WILL be used for other games, just 'cause ID's engines have become the engine to use whenever a new one comes out. Shit, the new engine was hyped about way before the game even came out. But, Half-Life has the biggest gamer community out there, new mods are started for the old engine still and Counter-Strike is the mst played online game.

So we'll see. I don't have an allegiance to either, I had nVidias before, then I got an ATI and now my new one ('cause the price/power relation was spot on on this one).