Author Topic: What made Briton great  (Read 690 times)

tommyilromano

Re: What made Briton great
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2004, 03:28:32 AM »
The British Empire was OK... It doesnt match up well to some of the other great powers throughout history though.

Firstly and most importantly we beat the french numerous times

We maintained international naval supremacy up until more recent times which was the key too our empire.

We braught civilization free trade and liassez faire economics to to much of the world

With 900 civil servants and and army of 70,000 we were able to control 250 million people in India (which was much larger than it is today including countries like pakistan etc) name any country who can do way with beurocracy like that in modern times. we also control 1/5 of the world at our peak i mite add.

We industrialised the world bringing trains to india etc.

We made ourselves the world police to stamp out the evil slave trade using our naval might.

We shrank the world by installing telegraph lines across the worlds oceans and utilising steam ships shrinking traveling times and being able to deliver messages in hours where previously it took months.

we can still rub it spains face that we own jabrulta and they'll never get it back

we even made the first television! a mechanical one tho.

We even gracefully gave up the majority of our empire after ww2 while other thaught to keep/enlarge theirs.

What truely sets our empire above everyone elses is the industrialisation we baught to the world and the promotion of trade.

This is all off the top of my head please feel free to add i may come up with some more. Also list other countries and your reasons why you think they are great and we can discuss which is the greatest

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2004, 05:25:47 AM »
The British Empire was OK... It doesnt match up well to some of the other great powers throughout history though.

Firstly and most importantly we beat the french numerous times

We maintained international naval supremacy up until more recent times which was the key too our empire.

We braught civilization free trade and liassez faire economics to to much of the world

With 900 civil servants and and army of 70,000 we were able to control 250 million people in India (which was much larger than it is today including countries like pakistan etc) name any country who can do way with beurocracy like that in modern times. we also control 1/5 of the world at our peak i mite add.

We industrialised the world bringing trains to india etc.

We made ourselves the world police to stamp out the evil slave trade using our naval might.

We shrank the world by installing telegraph lines across the worlds oceans and utilising steam ships shrinking traveling times and being able to deliver messages in hours where previously it took months.

we can still rub it spains face that we own jabrulta and they'll never get it back

we even made the first television! a mechanical one tho.

We even gracefully gave up the majority of our empire after ww2 while other thaught to keep/enlarge theirs.

What truely sets our empire above everyone elses is the industrialisation we baught to the world and the promotion of trade.

This is all off the top of my head please feel free to add i may come up with some more. Also list other countries and your reasons why you think they are great and we can discuss which is the greatest

care to elaborate? name one empire which was bigger? little hint the british empire was the biggest EVER and we modernised the world.

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

tommyilromano

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2004, 07:50:27 AM »
It was big yes but it was held together by a navy and they had little influence on the actuale populations. Rome is easily the greatest Empire to ever exist as it is the birth of Western civilization. Brittania got its name from Rome. Its influence extends to this day. England wasnt a super power for all that long. Spain had an empire just as good and France at it hieght was just as strong.

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2004, 08:31:09 AM »
that is what set ours above all the others in my opinion our empire was built on trade where as the french empire was more for power, but with trade you gain money and through money you gain power, going back to the india example we started off trading with them and that india company eventually took control of india and then when their were disputes over how things should run in india the crown took power. another thing look at the remains of the spanish empire today you got south america which is poor, similar story with the french. and look at where we went you have america canada australia new zeeland etc.

the roman example was much better as really did transform each country but it wasn't as far reaching

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Don Seer

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2004, 10:38:59 AM »
It was big yes but it was held together by a navy and they had little influence on the actuale populations. Rome is easily the greatest Empire to ever exist as it is the birth of Western civilization. Brittania got its name from Rome. Its influence extends to this day. England wasnt a super power for all that long. Spain had an empire just as good and France at it hieght was just as strong.

rome didn't manage conquer all of england  :D

tommyilromano

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2004, 09:10:06 PM »
Yeah they were just different types of Empires. I dunno, I like the idea that where ever Rome went they transformed the people into Romans that to me is the what power is all about.

that is what set ours above all the others in my opinion our empire was built on trade where as the french empire was more for power, but with trade you gain money and through money you gain power, going back to the india example we started off trading with them and that india company eventually took control of india and then when their were disputes over how things should run in india the crown took power. another thing look at the remains of the spanish empire today you got south america which is poor, similar story with the french. and look at where we went you have america canada australia new zeeland etc.

the roman example was much better as really did transform each country but it wasn't as far reaching

tommyilromano

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2004, 09:30:47 PM »
Actually they did conquer all of England they didnt manage to conquer what is now Scotland but the will also simply wasn't the will for Brittania's complete conquest in the way France and Spain were completely conquered. Regardless Rome is by far, in my opinion of course, the greatest Empire to ever exist.

rome didn't manage conquer all of england  :D

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2004, 12:41:15 AM »
yeah rome is easily the greatest empire, i don't know how the flying hell you british dudes can even try to contest that,lmao. I mean you read anything in history during that time....at least part of it refers to the roman empire or was influenced by it. in one way or another.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Entreri117

• Master Chief
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2004, 10:22:58 AM »
You Britons also gave Sting, IMO one of the greatest musicians alive...if you're into that kind of music.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2004, 10:45:39 AM »
You Britons also gave Sting, IMO one of the greatest musicians alive...if you're into that kind of music.

Yeah Sting is good. Britain also gave us David Bowie and Peter Frampton.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2004, 06:13:15 AM »
Most of the bs thas happening around the world is a result of countries tryna take over others, dun 4get that. America.........England........Spain.........Portugal........France..........Germany........blah, blah.......rah, rah.

Thank you for the BS.

Goooooooo the Kiwis, :>.