Author Topic: What in YOUR opinon does Culture and Civilization mean?  (Read 137 times)

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
What in YOUR opinon does Culture and Civilization mean?
« on: September 12, 2004, 02:40:59 PM »
Im doin this report for school n i gotta make my own definition for culture and civilization.Im jus wonderin what u guyz think they both mean

thx in advance

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: What in YOUR opinon does Culture and Civilization mean?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 02:45:21 PM »
culture ~ lifestyle

civilization ~ humanized organization
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 02:48:34 PM »
DAMN I'm so glad I'm out of fucking school.  I hated writing shit like that, so useless and boring. 

Sikotic™

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 02:50:57 PM »
It's just a stupid way to make you think I guess.

As for the answer.....what 7even said lol
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 04:33:39 PM »
could one of u guys break it down in more detail like in a few sentences or sumin please please please

lol thx in advance

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 05:18:47 PM »
culture
cul·ture   Audio pronunciation of "culture" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (klchr)
n.

1. The totality of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work and thought.
         2. These patterns, traits, and products considered as the expression of a particular period, class, community, or population: Edwardian culture; Japanese culture; the culture of poverty.
         3. These patterns, traits, and products considered with respect to a particular category, such as a field, subject, or mode of expression: religious culture in the Middle Ages; musical culture; oral culture.
         4. The predominating attitudes and behavior that characterize the functioning of a group or organization.
   2. Intellectual and artistic activity and the works produced by it.
         1. Development of the intellect through training or education.
         2. Enlightenment resulting from such training or education.
   4. A high degree of taste and refinement formed by aesthetic and intellectual training.
   5. Special training and development: voice culture for singers and actors.
   6. The cultivation of soil; tillage.
   7. The breeding of animals or growing of plants, especially to produce improved stock.
   8. Biology.
         1. The growing of microorganisms, tissue cells, or other living matter in a specially prepared nutrient medium.
         2. Such a growth or colony, as of bacteria.

Civilization

civ·i·li·za·tion   Audio pronunciation of "civilization" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (sv-l-zshn)
n.

1. An advanced state of intellectual, cultural, and material development in human society, marked by progress in the arts and sciences, the extensive use of record-keeping, including writing, and the appearance of complex political and social institutions.
   2. The type of culture and society developed by a particular nation or region or in a particular epoch: Mayan civilization; the civilization of ancient Rome.
   3. The act or process of civilizing or reaching a civilized state.
   4. Cultural or intellectual refinement; good taste.
   5. Modern society with its conveniences: returned to civilization after camping in the mountains.

your welcome  :banana_rock:

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 05:26:16 PM »
culture is art, food, history and language. Art can be in the form of music, paintings, buildings. Food is food... lol... history is the people you are talking about's story, and language is important because language says more about the culture that you can imagion. So in a nutshell, culture is how people live, and what they believe... lol

Civilzation, well that's trickier, because we think of advancements as civilzation. The technology we have, the more civilized we are. I would challenge that opinion, and look at other options, but you may not want to do that because some professors hate papers like that, and some love it. So do what you think is right.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2004, 05:27:16 PM »
culture
n.

1. The totality of socially transmitted behavior patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work and thought.
         2. These patterns, traits, and products considered as the expression of a particular period, class, community, or population: Edwardian culture; Japanese culture; the culture of poverty.
         3. These patterns, traits, and products considered with respect to a particular category, such as a field, subject, or mode of expression: religious culture in the Middle Ages; musical culture; oral culture.
         4. The predominating attitudes and behavior that characterize the functioning of a group or organization.
   4. A high degree of taste and refinement formed by aesthetic and intellectual training.
   7. The breeding of animals or growing of plants, especially to produce improved stock.
   8. Biology.
         1. The growing of microorganisms, tissue cells, or other living matter in a specially prepared nutrient medium.

Civilization

civ·i·li·za·tion   Audio pronunciation of "civilization" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (sv-l-zshn)
n.

1. An advanced state of intellectual, cultural, and material development in human society, marked by progress in the arts and sciences, the extensive use of record-keeping, including writing, and the appearance of complex political and social institutions.
   2. The type of culture and society developed by a particular nation or region or in a particular epoch: Mayan civilization; the civilization of ancient Rome.
   5. Modern society with its conveniences: returned to civilization after camping in the mountains.

damn... Webster got it better than I did... lol

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 05:58:05 PM »
culture
n.

8. Biology.

Civilization

n.

damn... Webster got it better than I did... lol

lol yea but i gotta put it in my own wordz but props to all yall who gave me tha 411