Author Topic: A band i'm really gettin into...  (Read 551 times)

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
A band i'm really gettin into...
« on: October 06, 2004, 05:11:29 AM »

No Doubt

I remember there was a topic about them maybe a year ago and i think everybody who posted except i-suffer-from-a-severe-lack-of-taste ass Luke liked them. I didn't really care about them at that time, but i gotta say lately i've been listenin to them alot. I think "Tragic Kingdom" is an amazing album, their newer stuff is way poppier, but i still like most of what they put out. and oh yeah, Gwen IS hot

who else is feelin them? I think Trauma is, but who else?

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
Re: A band i'm really gettin into...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 05:14:14 AM »
Yeah I like them, don't have any of their albums though.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

TuKer Says: Angeles Records is the truth!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 05:31:34 AM »
yeah Gwen is hot, and the band is ok, lol

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 06:31:46 AM »
i only like a few of their songs, but i wanna fuck Gwen Stefani...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 06:36:34 AM »
^ who don't...but yeah, this topic's all about music :P

akaDRooPY

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 06:49:54 AM »
no thanks

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 07:57:06 AM »
They're pretty creative, and Gwen is a remarkably mature writer, she's not afraid to write about personal things in a universal way, like any good writer does.  I'm not very versed in Ska, so I can't tell you if they're the 'best' ska band out there or not, but I know they sound good to me.  I think the major thing is just how creative the songs are, like I said, particularly lyrically speaking.  Here's some examples of what I mean.

"I'm just a girl" was of course they're first single, which is well written by Gwen herself.

"Oh, I'm Just A Girl
I'd Rather Not Be
Cuz They Won't Let Me Drive Late At night
I'm Just A Girl
Guess I'm Some Kind Of Freak
Cause They All Sit And Stare With Their Eyes
I'm Just A Girl
Take A Good Look At Me
Just Your Typical Prototyple
Oh.. I've Had it Up To Here
Oh... Am I Making myself Clear?"

That's remarkably GOOD writing, from the very beginning, and I believe Gwen was only about 18 or so when she wrote that.

Then, on one of their more recent songs, "Hey Baby" it just sounds like some stupid little throwaway song, but it's really Gwen writing about all the groupies that hang out with the guys in her band.  Again, it's VERY well written.

"I’m the kinda girl that hangs with the guys
Like a fly on the wall with my secret eyes
Takin it in, try to be feminine
With my makeup bag watchin all the sin
Misfit, I sit
Lit up, wicked
Everybody else surrounded by the girls
With the tank tops and the flirty words

I’m just sippin on chamomile
Watching boys and girls and their sex appeal
With a stranger in the face who says he knows my mom
And went to my high school"

MANBEARPIG.

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 09:09:26 AM »
I got my fill of them about 6 or 7 years ago in middle school, they got mad airplay in their home city and surrounding cities.

Tragic Kingdom is a great album but I cant stand the newer stuff

-KIDRENEGADE-

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 10:29:18 AM »
my favorite song by them is probably "Sunday Morning".  I used to drum to that song all the time.  Tragic Kingdom was a damn good album.  Their last album was very poppish at times, but it was cool, it seems like they kinda got away from their ska sound and started on that new wave stuff.  Early 80's new wave is great music, so it didn't bother me too bad.  That remake that they released "It's my life" from their greatest hits was damn good too. I haven't listened to them in a minute - i'll have to bust them out. Peace

-CaliKid-

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ^dime^
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 01:38:01 PM »
i dont own any of their albums but i think they're cool. I like some of their songs.

and oh yeah Gwen is hot

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 03:28:41 PM »
get "Tragic Kingdom", if you like them i cannot see you regretting that, really

They're pretty creative, and Gwen is a remarkably mature writer, she's not afraid to write about personal things in a universal way, like any good writer does.  I'm not very versed in Ska, so I can't tell you if they're the 'best' ska band out there or not, but I know they sound good to me.  I think the major thing is just how creative the songs are, like I said, particularly lyrically speaking.  Here's some examples of what I mean.
well, i don't even know if you can call them a 'ska' band anymore. They definitely started out as a ska band, but at least since "Tragic Kingdom" the ska elements are mixed with many other influences. Their latest album is called "Rock Steady", but if you can call that Rocksteady it's a pretty poppy approach to that genre, yet quite well done. Also, they have had some punk and new wave influence, so it's difficult to classify them. Great music after all.

To me it's not even mostly the lyrics that impress me...they're quite good and creative, but the reason I'm getting addicted to this band is often the song as a whole and also especially how it's done musically. Even if it's a simple composition I often can't stop listening to it, sometimes not even knowing why. Eg "Happy Now", that one riff just keeps blowing my mind and i can't help it lol (i heard some of that song's from a Blondie track or something but i dunno, it ain't even only that riff, it's almost every musical bit of this track). And overall i really think they're quite creative and unique, I wouldn't claim to be 'versed' in anything except hiphop and mos def not in their genre, but they're irreplaceable to me at the moment. Tbh, me personally I'm feelin them more than any hiphop artist right now
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 03:31:09 PM by A Gwen Stefani groupie named Kill »

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2004, 03:49:11 PM »
Well, I really felt "Tragic Kingdom" when it first came out, and that was when I was like 8 or 9.  The album is still good though , but they have been declining since then, even though I still like thier music more than most other rock bands.

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2004, 03:56:12 PM »
get "Tragic Kingdom", if you like them i cannot see you regretting that, really

I'll definetly check it out.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2004, 04:06:31 PM »
i like the song dont speak the most, they're pretty cool people

Sikotic™

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2004, 04:12:34 PM »
Yes, Gwen is hot. They're music ain't bad either, I just never really got into it.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE