Author Topic: Why is SNOOP DOGG the King Of The West and ICE CUBE isn't?  (Read 856 times)

Pinokit21

• Lil Geezy
  • The Pain Is Invisible..But U Can't Hide The Scarz
Why is SNOOP DOGG the King Of The West and ICE CUBE isn't?
« on: October 06, 2004, 12:30:25 PM »
This is for the people out in the westcoast. I got hella love for Snoop Dogg. He is a west coast legend. Definitely a big west coast star. But King Of The West? Would u give Snoop the KING OF THE WEST title? I hear a lot of rappers say that. Game said it, "Snoop got the crown".

When that title is said why isnt ICE CUBE ever mentioned? Ice Cube is a California icon. Yeah, lately he's been MIA doing movies and all that. But if you look at his ENTIRE catelog. There is classic shit right there. If it wasn't for Ice Cube and NWA, there would be NO Snoop. Shit, Im'a say it....If it wasn't for NWA there wouldn't be 75% percent of some of these rappers. ...look at G-Unit? They are like the 2000 version of NWA. The gun talk and all the shit you hear on records. NWA. When 50 dropped, everything got all street on records. With Get Rich Or Die tryin, how is that any different than what Cube was doing back in the day on his solos.

Now don't get it wrong, im a big fan of snoop and G -unit. But i just wanna see what peoples replys are gonna be to this one. When it comes down to THE KING OF THE WEST, I think Ice Cube deserves it more than Snoop Dogg.

PiN

Tha Crip

Re: Why is SNOOP DOGG the King Of The West and ICE CUBE isn't?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 12:45:43 PM »
cube will always be the king of the west coast in my eyes
"I F**k Wit Feds Magazine"

TuKer Says: Angeles Records is the truth!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 12:50:24 PM »
snoop is the king because he is more mainstream than cube, but to me ice cube deserves it much more than snoop.

youngmessnucca

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 12:53:13 PM »
id consider cube on top and snoop third behind e40 ( personal bias ) but cube been here more than snoop in terms of longevity, he wrote a lot of nwa and snoops been know to have ghostwriters. cube has a little better edge in the storytelling mc'ing than snoop, and he makes good movies while some of snoops suck

mauzip

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 01:04:37 PM »
If it wasn't for Ice Cube and NWA, there would be NO Snoop. Shit, Im'a say it....If it wasn't for NWA there wouldn't be 75% percent of some of these rappers. ...look at G-Unit?      

ice cube's grandfather is the real king of the west. if it wasn't for him there would be no cube, there would be no snoop and there would be no g-unit

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 01:26:10 PM »
Cube never really attempted to represent the West Coast much before Bow Down. Snoop, maybe not in his music, but in his style, exemplifies the culture.

That's my understanding at least.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

MOB

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 02:00:22 PM »
well to be the king,I thought you had to drop albums on a regular basis
so i think snoop is the king and yuk the prince  :D

Don Seer

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 02:02:24 PM »
yuk please.. most people dont even know who yuk is..

Sikotic™

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 04:29:54 PM »
Death Certificate >>>>>>> Every Snoop Dogg album except Doggystyle

Cube is more talented and a huge West Coast icon. He got the crown before Snoop in my eyes.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Denial! Is Actively Joinin The Revolution

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 04:51:51 PM »
Snoop King of the west Fuck that i wud consider anyone except him now!

Ice Cube for me is west coast u say west coast rap u think of cube!
Hittman is not a real person. He was a computer program generated by Dr. Dre and Mel Man back in the mid 90's. When Dre started treating Mel-Man like shit, Mel infiltrated the computer and put a virus in the hittman program

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 04:59:41 PM »
i need to listen to some ice cube..
:starts death certificate:

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2004, 05:44:26 PM »
Death Certificate >>>>>>> Every Snoop Dogg album except Doggystyle

Cube is more talented and a huge West Coast icon. He got the crown before Snoop in my eyes.

Hell I'd put Cube's first 4 solos over anything Snoop's recorded, including Doggystyle. Cube is probably the most talented solo rapper ever.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2004, 05:48:53 PM »
Why is Snoop the king, and not Ice Cube. Well, lets look at what it means to be king. A king basically rules shit. Like lets take the United States for an example, a lot of what we are founded off of was actually Ben Franklin's compromises, but the first president was George Washington, why, because people can rally around him, and he was more known from the general public.

In today's modern westcoast hip-hop the most commercially known artist is Snoop. His everywhere, from TV, to movies, I remember for a few good years he was all over Power 106, featured in every other song, especially after the song B-Please. Once B-Please hit the air waves... it was almost like Snoop never left the west to go south... and everyone in Cali welcomed him back with open arms. From there he worked on putting out Tha Eastsidaz, Bad Azz, introducing new producers like Meech, Jelly Roll, reintroducing Battlecat, put Mix Master Spade in an Eastsidaz song, dissed Suge, made Beautiful... and was just everywhere. Ice Cube, if he had the crown, I'd say from 1990 to about 1993 when Dr. Dre was on top with Death Row. Ice Cube during that time was the undisputed king os rap music period. Look back at that era... and you'll realized that people thought of Ice Cube as the hardest man in rap music. He had respect from east to west coast, the only west coast artist to get 5 mics from the Source, before they re-rated certain albums, and no one had the impact as he did. He was looked at as the icon of rap back then. Maybe LL Cool J came close with Mama Said Knock You Out, but Cube had the game so locked up that all LL could do was hope to come close. Cube was rap music back then, and it wasn't until Death Row came out that some one could even challenge him. I'd say after War and Peace did Cube's reign end. The Peace disc was nice, it had Hello, but honestly, it was not up to par with The Last Meal at the time, and it was just time to change guards. Cube was not putting out new artist, like when he had the Lynch Mob and Westside Connection, and The Commrades and he didn't have a line of producers like he had with DJ Pooh and Sir Jinx. Cube was more into movies, not doing a NWA reunion, and basically Snoop was coming out with new acts, new producers, new sounds, and just going commercial with it. So then Snoop basically took the crown, which honestly no one had since 'Pac died. And I think we are seeing the same thing happen with Snoop now. He doesn't have new producers, his getting desprate and working with Pharrell. He doesn't have new artist his putting out. E-White left him, Tha Eastsidaz left him, and his not featured in everyother song, and his 213 reunion was a huge flop. Snoops time on top is over. And just like when Ice Cube was falling off in the late 90's, people were saying well he hasn't been tight since AmeriKKKa'z Most, and he sucks, never a good lyrist, Snoop is hearing the same thing. The west will be seeing a bunch of new artist come out, or artist that have been waiting their turn to blow up, and do their thing, and there will be a year or two of everyone in the west coming out, and from that, the one that catches on with the mainstream, and can put out new artist, introduce a new style and line up a great producers behind him will be crowned. It's not Snoop anymore, safe money is on Game since his repping hard and gots Dre behind him and has Black Wall Street, I think it will be Xzibit, his finally coming into his own, not depending on Dre or Tha Liks, and he has Strong Arm Steady and the Goldyn State Warriors when Ras Kass comes out. After Man vs. Machine, I think he understands that he needs to step up his game. We'll see. But the current king is on life support, and others like Game and Xzibit are hungry, ready to pull the plug. Let's see what happens.

Brazemac

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2004, 05:52:24 PM »
Cube is the king.
Hell noone pushed more for throwin up the dub than him during westsideconnections first album n shit.
Snoop is the prince
then again why isn't Dre the king?

The Game & Raekwon The Chef All Into Da DUBCNN MAGAZINE!

The Watcher

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2004, 05:54:02 PM »
how you gonna be a king of the westcoast when you dont put out music?

Snoops albums may be mediocre, but atleast he's makin an effort
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden