Author Topic: Pippen calls it a career  (Read 162 times)

acbaylove

Pippen calls it a career
« on: October 06, 2004, 05:07:28 AM »
DEERFIELD, Ill. -- Scottie Pippen played the sidekick to basketball's greatest star, creating a partnership the Chicago Bulls parlayed into an NBA dynasty with six titles in the 1990s.

Pippen's career came to an end Tuesday as he announced his retirement following 17 years in he league. He made the announcement standing in front of the six championship trophies he helped the Bulls win.

"As I stand here and as I look back, I don't think Michael [Jordan] had any championship trophies without me," Pippen said of a basketball relationship was mutually beneficial.

Jordan already was a star when Pippen arrived in 1987. Four seasons later, they brought the Bulls their first title.

"It was a taste for us we had never had before," Pippen said, looking back on the five-game victory over the Lakers.

There were two "three-peat" championships interrupted by Jordan's unsuccessful foray into baseball and a 72-10 regular season that may never be surpassed.

"He was playing with the best of all time," Bulls coach Scott Skiles said. "I don't know, maybe Michael wouldn't have gotten them without Scottie, either. You could make a case for that, for sure."

Pippen, 39, chosen one of the NBA's 50 greatest players in 1996 for the league's 50th anniversary, was known for his all-around play -- especially his long-armed defense at 6-foot-7 against some of the league's best scorers. The seven-time All-Star directed the Bulls' famed triangle offense with his ballhandling skills.

"Michael was here seven years before they started winning championships," said former Bull Bill Wennington.

"What was the problem? He needed someone who agreed that you needed to go up the court and work your backside off to get it done. And Scottie was that guy who came in and said, 'Yeah I will do that and you know what? If I'm the second man, that's OK.' "

After 11 years with the Bulls, Pippen left after the 1999 lockout and played one year in Houston and four more in Portland.

Looking for some leadership, the Bulls brought Pippen back last season to work with their young team. But he had knee surgery in December and played in only 23 games as the Bulls went 23-59.

It was the first time in his career Pippen missed the playoffs. Only Kareem Abdul-Jabbar with 237 has played in more postseason games than Pippen (208).

Pippen finished his career with a 16.1 scoring average to go with 6.4 rebounds and 5.2 assists. He said one of his biggest thrills was being a member of the first "Dream Team" that won the gold medal at the 1992 Barcelona Olympic.

Pippen said his various injuries have left him unable to play a full season. Still, the Bulls will pay him the $5 million remaining on his two-year contract this season, general manager and former teammate John Paxson said.

"After 17 years, I got all the basketball out of me I possibly could," Pippen said.

And unlike Jordan, who made two comebacks after retiring, Pippen promised he's finished.

"There won't be any return for me," he added.

While Pippen was being heralded Tuesday as a consummate teammate, there was one selfish episode during Jordan's one full season away from the game that will always be remembered.

Unhappy when a final shot was called for Toni Kukoc instead of him, Pippen sat out the final 1.8 seconds of Game 3 of the 1994 Eastern Conference semifinals. Kukoc made the shot to win the game but the Bulls lost the series.

And the 1997-98 season had barely started when Pippen, recovering from foot surgery and unhappy with his contract, demanded a trade. He eventually returned, but his bitterness with then-general manager Jerry Krause festered.

Krause, who acquired Pippen's rights in a draft day deal for Olden Polynice in 1987 that turned out to be one of the team's best-ever transactions, has his own banner hanging from the rafters at the United Center.

Next season, the Bulls plan to retire Pippen's No. 33.

Pippen plans to stick around Chicago and be a volunteer coach of sorts, working with some of the Bulls' younger players during training camp.

"I've done all I could as a player," Pippen said on how he would be remembered. "I kind of leave that up the fans and individuals to judge me on how I was as a player and a person."

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Pippen calls it a career
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 07:38:28 AM »
how's that sad? it's much better to retire after 17 years (which isnt sparse at all)  for good than ruining his legacy like Jordan or Malone.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 10:37:01 AM »
I hate to say it, but Pippen wasn't SHIT without Jordan.  Jordan brought the best in Pippen (and everybody for that matter).  I never really heard shit about dude after he left the bulls.  The crazy thing is, he was named to the 50 greatest NBA players of all time whenever they did that several years back. I don't think he's worthy of that title. He was very good with Jordan, and only average without him.  Peace

pappy

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 10:45:54 AM »
I hate to say it, but Pippen wasn't SHIT without Jordan.  Jordan brought the best in Pippen (and everybody for that matter).  I never really heard shit about dude after he left the bulls.  The crazy thing is, he was named to the 50 greatest NBA players of all time whenever they did that several years back. I don't think he's worthy of that title. He was very good with Jordan, and only average without him.  Peace
AVERAGE LMFAO... he single handly carried the bulls to the 2nd round of the playoffs in 93-94 his first full season without jordan.  In the 2nd round they lost in 7 games to the knicks, who eventually went on to the finals.  And he was having a great season the next season too an than jordan came back. In the season and a half with out jordan he put career best in points per game, steals, and rebounds. Hes the all time leader in playoff steals an second in three-pointers made and among the top 10 in field-goal attempts, free throws and assists.  Yea he was average without jordan ::)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 10:52:17 AM by Tom Gotti »

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 11:55:14 AM »
AVERAGE LMFAO... he single handly carried the bulls to the 2nd round of the playoffs in 93-94 his first full season without jordan.  In the 2nd round they lost in 7 games to the knicks, who eventually went on to the finals.  And he was having a great season the next season too an than jordan came back. In the season and a half with out jordan he put career best in points per game, steals, and rebounds. Hes the all time leader in playoff steals an second in three-pointers made and among the top 10 in field-goal attempts, free throws and assists.  Yea he was average without jordan ::)

Of course, one must not take away from the skills of Coach Jackson and the rest of the role players on the Bulls. It was a good team, and never lied in the hands of one man. The only team I can think of that went far and wouldn't have with out one guy, is the 80 Celtics. A rookie Bird single handedly made them the number 1 team in the season and took them to the conference finals.

Rampant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 12:52:32 PM »
Pippen was never a great player, but when he had the right people with him, he played well. Same with most of the bulls. By themselves they were no superstars (with exception to jordan), but together they just clicked.

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 01:32:41 PM »

i think the stats speak for themselves, props to Pippen for holding it down for 17 years...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

Sikotic™

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 03:25:27 PM »
Smart man. He's had a great career, many championships. He's done it all, might as well enjoy your money.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

i love men who take pictures with their booty's out

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You know you want me.
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 06:49:40 PM »

he would be still playin if phil woulda brought him to the lakers...  his career wasnt shit without phil.. phil helped scottie more than jordan... after jordan left, and phil went to the west.. scottie was jus as good as bill wennington...

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 07:06:42 PM »
he WAS good

acbaylove

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2004, 01:08:57 AM »
how's that sad? it's much better to retire after 17 years (which isnt sparse at all)  for good than ruining his legacy like Jordan or Malone.

Well, i agree he did the best move. I think everybody agrees it was time to retire, for Pip, even if he was still a decent player in the league, i mean even now. He's in the Top 50 ever, great player, great man, props to him. It's sad just cause you know, it's over! But yes, it was time to retire. Only thing i disagree is Malone who ruined his legacy (last year?). Cause till the final against Detroit he was been the Lakers real MVP in the Play Offs, stopping Garnett and Duncan. He's 40, but he's still good playing with Shaq. Now he has to retire.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 02:01:47 AM »

Well, i agree he did the best move. I think everybody agrees it was time to retire, for Pip, even if he was still a decent player in the league, i mean even now. He's in the Top 50 ever, great player, great man, props to him. It's sad just cause you know, it's over! But yes, it was time to retire. Only thing i disagree is Malone who ruined his legacy (last year?). Cause till the final against Detroit he was been the Lakers real MVP in the Play Offs, stopping Garnett and Duncan. He's 40, but he's still good playing with Shaq. Now he has to retire.

you know Im not saying Malone played so damn bad last year that he ruined his career (however Jordan did LOOL)
Im just saying he ruined his career because it was dope as fuck that he *only* played for UTAH all his fucking life long, and also never was seriously injured.
all he lacked was a ring, and he didnt get this ring. he just got injured seriously for the first time in his life, and played for another team for the first time in his life? for what? he didnt even get money in LA.. after all it was a baaaad move for him...and if he comes back this season it's even worse.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

acbaylove

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 04:11:45 AM »
Well, he ruined it cause he didnt win the title. He wanted to make a Mitch Ritchmond move, but it didnt work. I mean damn, he deserved a ring. But Utah wast a competitive team no more. After Stock retired, he chosed to move on. Obviously he didnt ask Utah to be traded, but when his contract expired, he tried to win a title. He didnt sign for the money, you know. So i cant blame him. It didnt work. But he deserved it.