Author Topic: Do you think west coast rappers lack appeal?  (Read 365 times)

pappy

Re: Do you think west coast rappers lack appeal?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 10:26:50 PM »

San Quinn

you think he could blow up outside the west.  I have his first album or should say i had it b/c i eventually traded it in.  But i wasnt feeling his stuff at all.  Thats just me, but i cant see him blowing up in ny.  even if he was from ny i just couldnt see him really blowing up.

SGV

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2004, 10:44:16 PM »
You gotta hear his new album. It's not just for the Bay, like his first album was. Plus, Quinncy was getting some good attention for a while. i don't know if you remember that show with Stick Fingaz, it was about the Hip Hop industry. But, anyway, the "Rapper" on the show would "Rap" and the songs he would "rap" were written and performed by San Quinn. He had enough appeal to get on that show, the show just sucked though.

ZILLA THA GOODFELLA

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • www.servnu151.com + www.turfdout.com
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2004, 11:03:39 PM »
Planet Asia can crossover, but nobody supports him. It's the fans on the West that kill the area. They're TOO concerned with the newest Snoop song, the latest rumors on Dre's album that won't come out for another 12 years, too concerned with old ass rappers.

Give these emcees a shot and the West will have appeal again:

Balance
Locksmith & Left (Frontline)
Trenseta
Planet Asia
Self Scientific
San Quinn
Federation

These are ALL rappers who bring a whole different image to the West, with a VERY strong possibility of appealing to people OUTSIDE of the West. WE as fans, need to support them.

Fuck Snoop Dogg, fuck Dre, fuck Cube, fuck Dub C, Mack 10, Warren G, Nate Dogg, Kurupt, etc. Hell, fuck Too Short and even E-40, all these old ass rappers need to move aside and let the new cats take over.

REAL MUTHAFUCIN TALK !!!! ADD ARSEN N CANE TO THE LIST BOYEEEE....

but naw, i dunno about old cats stepping aside completely, it's a business, they still got money 2 make....what needs 2 step aside is the typical west coast fan mentality....most of these so called fans are stuck in 93....and the younger ones juss dunno any better, MTV, BET & CLEAR CHANNEL got em exactly where they want them....now again, this isn't all fans, juss the typical 80% which make up most of the success U see lame artists these days achieve. Ultimately like SGV said, our fans are gonna kills us. It's not that the majors don't support the West Coast (well, partially yes it is), but in the big picture it's because of the fact that we ain't selling in OUR areas. In New York, they support their own 2 the fullest, buy all the mixtapes....in the South, they on each other's nuts, Lil Flip sold 100,000 in a real short amount of time with his old independent shit....Ghetto Gold....ofcourse the majors are gonna be looking at him....U have to make noise in your area and get that locked down in order to cross over (dats not always the case if you're lucky n get discovered, but nowadays hip hop is on corporate capitalistic billion dollar level) .... @ TOM....San Quinn's 1st album if U listen to now is not up to par 2 what would be considered as bangin....for some it is, cuzz they grew up on it....but his shit nowadays has cross over appeal 4 sho, the production, flows, everything....it's set to go....but he ain't doin Lil Flip 100,000 numbers because of our fans, he pushin like 30-40 thousand if that....the next one entitled "The Rock" is gonna have BETTER distribution and prolly sell more, but it still won't be MAJOR....it all comes down 2 ure home turf mane, capture that and u will reach the American Dream....there's thousands trying, get in where u fit in....but don't make yur expectations too high because with these fans, the over saturation, the media, and ignorance there's barely any chance left....

REGGAE MEETS THE WEST BAY MIXTAPE IN STORES NOW !!

TRENCH TOWN HUSTLAZ - YOUNG N HUNGRY
COMING IN 2008.
FEATURING: SAN QUINN, THE JACKA (MOB FIGAZ), DUBEE, TELLY MAC (THA GAMBLAZ) MR. KEE, 10SION, LIL RIC, PROHOEZAK, ARSEN & MORE.

www.myspace.com/trenchtownhustlaz

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY AREAAAAAAAAAAA.. WEST OF THE WATER! COME SEE US!!

CoreG37

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2004, 12:01:13 AM »
Everything he just said is absolutely right.  Artists themselves will even tell that shit. One  bay area rapper whose name I don't remember said it on the radio one day.  He said the only way they'll make it big is if people support them.  If was major label looking for talent I wouldn't sign him either if he couldn't move units in his own hood.

soopadoopaflykid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Iguess
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2004, 07:30:56 PM »
really I think the east who has all the fuckin record labels decided to get Monopoly on the westcoast. They didnt want to see us shine no more. Most of these rappers have jacked the west's style perfect example of a new rapper outside of the westocoast chingy. I think if the westcoast's production just sounds more polished cuz some of this shit sounds like they made it out of there bedroom. Most of those fuckers arent talkin about anything new in new york its the same ol shit and they are tellin us quit the gangsta image. For a long time they told the west couldnt rhyme. We could fuck up most of those fuckers over there.

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2004, 04:20:33 PM »
really I think the east who has all the fuckin record labels decided to get Monopoly on the westcoast. They didnt want to see us shine no more. Most of these rappers have jacked the west's style perfect example of a new rapper outside of the westocoast chingy. I think if the westcoast's production just sounds more polished cuz some of this shit sounds like they made it out of there bedroom. Most of those fuckers arent talkin about anything new in new york its the same ol shit and they are tellin us quit the gangsta image. For a long time they told the west couldnt rhyme. We could fuck up most of those fuckers over there.

i dont think that's it at all. people out here in NY got mad love for the west, they just don't like the style. like common said 'if i don't like it, i don't like it, that don't mean that i'm hatin'

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2004, 07:33:06 PM »
when the fuck are you guys going to get it through your head:

MUSIC IS STRICTLY A BUSINESS![/b]

Mr. RuthlessG

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2004, 02:03:16 PM »

I agree.

I a lot of west coast rapper could have made but it was hate and politics that kept it from happening.

Also the few west coast people (Dr. Dre, Snoop, Suge, Ice Cube, E-40 and Tomica Wright)  that's in a position to make it possible for the west coast and their artists to get back into the spotlight isn't doing anything.

DATTAZ

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2004, 04:47:09 PM »
What we need is the old school cats like Dj Silp and Unknown dj and yes Dr.Dre and others who knows how to produce to put west back on the map they been around for more then 20 plus years and made hit records but then again its all these different sets and hoods make it hard for the west to succeed north Cal just don't get along  the south Cal.