Author Topic: Humorous Election Commentary... Good Read for Blue State Peeps.  (Read 319 times)

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Humorous Election Commentary... Good Read for Blue State Peeps.
« on: November 04, 2004, 11:10:04 PM »
United We Fall

Two days after the election and I’m already starting to get in touch with my inner Republican. I mean, let’s face it – these guys know how to frame issues, and they have made the very important discovery that a majority of Americans would rather stick it to others (foreigners, gays, liberals, the UN, whoever) than help themselves. Liberals can lament this fact – or we can learn from it.

Yesterday in the comments, Push Poll pointed out this beer-fueled rant from Angry Bear, about “shutting off the spigot” that sends seventeen cents of every tax dollar from the Blue States to the Red States. I’m not sure if it was meant to be taken seriously, but it seems like the makings of a very compelling and novel political platform that’s well-suited to the hard realities of 21st century America.

One thing that’s obvious from the Presidential election is that there is very little to be gained by appealing to Red State (or any) fundamentalists on the grounds of economic self-interest. Yes, these people are often poorly-paid, poorly-educated, without health benefits, and stuck in communities that have been systematically reduced to a thin, white cultural paste by big box retail chains and cookie-cutter housing developments. But, apparently, they like it that way.

I think it’s time we got the message. We need to stop pushing for programs that bleed tax dollars from the centers of progress and innovation in an attempt to create opportunities and benefits for people who obviously have no use for them. We need to stop trying to nationalize social issues like gay rights, gun control, abortion, secular education, and affirmative action and focus our attention on protecting them in the areas where citizens sympathetic to those values make up the majority. We need to stop acting like everyone should naturally want to face their problems like adults and work together to solve them – perhaps the most offensive conceit inherent in American liberalism, and one that has gotten us exactly nowhere since the 1960s.

In short, pace John Edwards, we need Two Americas, now more than ever. We need a Red State America where “cultural conservatives” feel safe and free to impose religious standards on everyone and everything, and we need a Blue State America where we can be as nasty as we wanna be without having to listen to anyone lecture us on “family values.” Forget trying to unite. Let’s celebrate our differences, abandon this troublesome notion of national standards and universal values that we can never agree on, and bring about a revival of Federalism, only this time, for keeps.

The educated elites of the coasts need to stop pretending we have anything to teach people that already have it all figured out. I mean, clearly, these people know the Moral Truth for themselves – just ask them. Who are we to argue? All we ask is that, in exchange for us rootless cosmopolitans backing off from forcing them to be tolerant, reasonable and realistic, they take responsibility for the outcomes of their own policies and stop blaming far-away liberals, academia and Hollywood for their problems.

You want to teach creationism in your schools? Fine, do it. Abstinence-only Sex Ed for teens? Sure! Bans on abortions (except to save the mother’s life)? Hell yeah, why not? If people really think these ideas are worth trying, they should try them out on themselves. Just leave the rest of us out please, OK?

But, here’s the catch. The states have to sink or swim on their own merits. If high-school girls in Mississippi start getting knocked up and are lost to the economy for 18 years raising their kids, let Mississippi worry about it. Don’t expect farm subsidies paid for with Blue State tax dollars, no pork and slush from the federal trough, no AFDC money. If kids graduating Kansas high schools are systematically rejected from accredited science programs at major universities because their heads are full of superstitious mumbo-jumbo, too bad. These are local problems, and if the people are fed up with it, they can put pressure on their local officials.

Call me an optimist, or even a Republican, but I have a certain confidence that when you set freedom against oppression in an open market, freedom’s going to win every time. But the Red Staters have gotten so accustomed to coasting by on subsidies and federal handouts that they’ve forgotten the economic price of intolerance. Want to start an advertising agency in Alabama that can compete with national shops in New York and San Francisco? See how far you get attracting creative talent when you make gays unwelcome in your state.

Blue State Democrats urgently need to reframe these cultural issues as economic ones, and that means we need to let go of the metaphysical rightness and justice of liberal ideals that we got so comfortable with during the 1960s and return to a more instrumental notion of freedom. That is, freedom doesn’t work because it’s right, it’s right because it works.

Lately, the anti-Bush left has taken to calling itself the “reality-based community.” Well let’s use what we know about reality and science to set up a little experiment. We’ll pit our notions of a liberal society, with progressive taxes, investment in infrastructure and social services, and social tolerance, up against the Red State version with small government and religious values in a straight-up economic competition, with no help from the federal government. As Angry Bear says, “Wait ten years and see who comes out ahead.”

In policy terms, this would mean Blue State Democrats should actively oppose all programs whose net impact is a wealth transfer to the Red States. Make a big deal out of this. Challenge Red Staters’ pride. Stigmatize programs like farm subsidies, use-rights to federal land for mining and grazing, excessive military bases, and net-negative use of programs like AFDC and Food Stamps as “handouts.” Insist on a dollar-for-dollar parity of money collected from states via taxes to dollars distributed via federal programs, subsidies, tax exemptions, etc. Most Red Staters will buy it because they probably believe they are net contributors rather than recipients of federal largesse.

At the same time, national and local progressives should fight like hell wherever they have big majorities to protect important programs and safeguard individual and group rights in their own communities. We know from experience that these people are never satisfied having it their own way – they always seek to inflict their version of the truth on everyone else. Every election, progressive communities will have to deal with some harebrained ballot initiative or other trying to ban gays or impose school prayer – we’ll just need to swat them down enough times that the crazies give up and go to live in peace in their own regions.

This new spin on States Rights (or Devolution, or Local Sovereignty) has all the makings of a winning 21st century political message: it’s simple, it’s deeply destructive to the social fabric of the country, and it lets one group externalize all its inner conflicts by pissing all over somebody else. Who needs unity and consensus, when all it does is lose elections for those who are fool enough to advocate for it? Time to leave behind the childish notion that we can all move forward together, when it’s clear that two halves of the country are dancing to two different drummers. The prosperous and liberal half of the country can get along fine – much better, in fact – as our own tax base, without the handout-addicted Red States (and Red areas of Blue States) dragging us down. What fools we were to persist in believing in the big “One America” illusion when the facts were staring us in the face.

After all, Red Staters could not have been more clear. They don’t want Democratic values and they are not going to give their support to Democratic-sponsored programs in their own economic self-interest. Let’s take the hint. If they want to run supply-side theocracies in the states where they can get away with it, that’s just dandy. We’ll back off and keep our corrupt, godless, big-government ways to ourselves – along, of course, with our money.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 11:20:02 PM by Ant »

Woodrow

Re: Humorous Election Commentary... Good Read for Blue State Peeps.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 11:27:17 AM »

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 11:48:57 AM »
^ i wont lie.. thats hillarious..

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 12:54:46 PM »
I don't doubt that there are trashy supporters on both sides of the fence.  The fact remains, the red states could not prosper without the blue states.  They could not survive with our the democrats.  This country is successful based on the hardwork of people with progressive ideals. 

The democrats dominate the economic, intellectual, and cultural capitols of the country.  We dominate American industry, and scientific thought.  You have lived off the benefits we provide you with.  We develop the science that makes our military successful, our economy successful, and our citizens healthy. 

We pay the largest tax burden.  The wealthy American cities, dominated by progressive citizens, making high incomes, pay the taxes that you live off.  We develop the industries that help the country continue to thrive.  We supply the professors that keep you educated.  We are the reason the rest of the world once looked up to the United States, instead they look down on the U.S. and they look down on you.  They look down on the small minded, religious zealots, all across America that cared more about gay marriage than employment, healthcare, respect, education, and integrity. 

As time goes on you will see your respect in the world shrink.  Your economies continue to weaken.  Your schools continue to produce students even stupider than yourselves.  And you will bear the responsibility. 

Woodrow

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 01:11:51 PM »
VOTE BY INCOME
$100-150,000 - 57%(Bush) 42% (Kerry)

$150-200,000 - 58% (Bush) 42% (Kerry)

$200,000 or More - 63%(Bush) 35% (Kerry)

Woodrow

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 01:16:00 PM »
Ant, you can pretend all you want, but the hard statistics prove the successful people voted for Bush.

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 01:34:22 PM »
No actually they didn't successful people in the red states voted bush overwhemlingly.  The rest of the world, which is successful too, voted overwhemingly in support of Kerry.... but it doesn't matter.  History will prove you wrong, and you will bear responsibility for your choices. 

You live in oregon. Pussy.

Woodrow

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 01:41:04 PM »
No actually they didn't successful people in the red states voted bush overwhelmingly.  The rest of the world, which is successful too, voted overwhelmingly in support of Kerry.... but it doesn't matter.  History will prove you wrong, and you will bear responsibility for your choices. 

You live in Oregon. Pussy.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Call me crazy, but wasn't this an American election? Don't the statistics show that successful people in America overwhelmingly voted for Bush? To think... You were the one talking about ME ignoring facts?

Oh well, Keep it up with the personal insults. I'm the "pussy" arguing with facts, and you're the sore looser calling people names.

Woodrow

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 01:47:13 PM »
Remember people. The Democratic party is the party of tolerance. (except when people disagree with you)

Thirteen

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2004, 03:39:22 PM »
damn ant you have to feel stupid now...you should stop posting in ToT for a while because you're letting your hurt feelings get the better of you

oh and that shit that you said was pretty funny:

"We dominate American industry, and scientific thought.  You have lived off the benefits we provide you with.  We develop the science that makes our military successful, our economy successful, and our citizens healthy."

so when's the last time you've dominated the industry and scientific thought? when's the last time you developed something scientific that you've given to the military?

just cause you claim the same political party as some one succesful, don't try to ride the coat tails dummy, you personally haven't done shit besides "live off the benefits they have provided"

« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 03:50:21 PM by Dangerfield »

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2004, 05:49:35 PM »
No actually they didn't successful people in the red states voted bush overwhelmingly.  The rest of the world, which is successful too, voted overwhelmingly in support of Kerry.... but it doesn't matter.  History will prove you wrong, and you will bear responsibility for your choices. 

You live in Oregon. Pussy.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Call me crazy, but wasn't this an American election? Don't the statistics show that successful people in America overwhelmingly voted for Bush? To think... You were the one talking about ME ignoring facts?

Oh well, Keep it up with the personal insults. I'm the "pussy" arguing with facts, and you're the sore looser calling people names.

No the difference is this.  You played the name calling games all day instead of arguing with me.  My name calling actually makes sense.  You are a pussy.  You live in Oregon and shit your pants for the last four years about the terrorists.  I live in NY.  My brother lives in NYC.   We aren't the ones praying to god that Bush saves them from terrorism. Pussy.

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2004, 05:52:30 PM »
damn ant you have to feel stupid now...you should stop posting in ToT for a while because you're letting your hurt feelings get the better of you

oh and that shit that you said was pretty funny:

"We dominate American industry, and scientific thought.  You have lived off the benefits we provide you with.  We develop the science that makes our military successful, our economy successful, and our citizens healthy."

so when's the last time you've dominated the industry and scientific thought? when's the last time you developed something scientific that you've given to the military?

just cause you claim the same political party as some one succesful, don't try to ride the coat tails dummy, you personally haven't done shit besides "live off the benefits they have provided"

I don't 'dominate' american industry.  The blue states do.  I'm just finishing up a dual degree in economics/management. My brother just finished up at Andover Academy, the same HS GWB and GHWB went to.  My famiily employees 300 people. We voted bush in 2000, only to be digusted with him by 2002.   I don't bring it up much tho. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 05:56:45 PM by Ant »

Thirteen

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2004, 06:11:00 PM »
just because a state is blue doesn't mean no one voted for bush...so while you guy sit there and bitch about only "poor, religious, inbred hicks" for the south voted for bush

you forget that 40% - 49% of the "rich, upscale, civilized, educated" on the coastal blue states also voted for bush

i'm glad you guys are so emotionally hurt by this outcome that you have to stereo type the average bush supporter, but the exit polls point out that they're more rich and they're more educated than the kerry voters whether you guys want to believe it or not.

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2004, 06:19:23 PM »
When shit hits the fan, it will become clear that a degree from shit college usa, doesn't mean ur educated.  A degree from princeton, harvard, or yale doesn't garauntee your educated either.  People with doctoral degrees voted in support of Kerry.   

People in rural NY voted bush.  People in NYC voted Kerry overwhelmingly.  Manhattan, the economic capital of the country, voted Kerry 90-10. 

I really don't care who voted Bush.  As I said, Hitler was also democratically elected, the fact that people vote for a candidate doesn't prove the candidate good.  In this case it just proves the population uninformed.  A few years will prove that, and you will bear the responsibility.  When reality hits, lets hope you can admit you recognize it.  Unfortunately, reality has been hitting hard, and your party ignored it.  The term 'faith based' party suits you well.  Not because your all reliigious, but because you base your decisions on 'faith' instead of 'fact.'

Wait and see. 

Thirteen

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2004, 06:24:15 PM »
When shit hits the fan, it will become clear that a degree from shit college usa, doesn't mean ur educated.  A degree from princeton, harvard, or yale doesn't garauntee your educated either.  People with doctoral degrees voted in support of Kerry.   

People in rural NY voted bush.  People in NYC voted Kerry overwhelmingly.  Manhattan, the economic capital of the country, voted Kerry 90-10. 

I really don't care who voted Bush.  As I said, Hitler was also democratically elected, the fact that people vote for a candidate doesn't prove the candidate good.  In this case it just proves the population uninformed.  A few years will prove that, and you will bear the responsibility.  When reality hits, lets hope you can admit you recognize it.  Unfortunately, reality has been hitting hard, and your party ignored it.  The term 'faith based' party suits you well.  Not because your all reliigious, but because you base your decisions on 'faith' instead of 'fact.'

Wait and see. 

sooo only people with doctorates are educated.... i didn't know that