Author Topic: What Makes Samples Tight Or Weak?  (Read 398 times)

Leggy Hendrix

Re: What Makes Samples Tight Or Weak?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2004, 03:25:36 PM »
i think good too.. but he like took the EXACT beat.. like he did no work at all.. but he rhymes nice over it

yeah, i mean theres no way you can say every track that just simply loops a sample up and adds some new drums etc is good or bad...there are exceptions to the rule...sometimes they work and sometimes they dont...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

davida.b.

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2004, 05:38:41 PM »

anything thats sped up now...shit gets on my nerves..everytime.. i think of alvin's bitch brittany...and how they went to a human school and stayed in a tree everybody else had houses..but these 3 chipmunk hoes had to stay in a tree..u know damn well they was fonky...kuz how in the fuck u gone put a shower in a tree? u cant run no pipes up a tree..let alone put a bath tub in that hoe...so them hoes was walkin around cootabrown like a hoe...3 nasty ass bitches... >:(

Its to bad the charcter limti is 500, cuz otherwise, I would put this in my sig.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 05:41:20 PM by davida.b. »

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2004, 12:32:53 PM »
i think good too.. but he like took the EXACT beat.. like he did no work at all.. but he rhymes nice over it

yeah, i mean theres no way you can say every track that just simply loops a sample up and adds some new drums etc is good or bad...there are exceptions to the rule...sometimes they work and sometimes they dont...

Exactly, theres no right or wrong way to sample, sometimes go with the loop, sometime chop the shit out of stuff, as long as the end product is dope whose complaining. Dope ass producers such as The Beatminerz were all about loops back in the early Black Moon, Smif N Wesson days and they were dope as hell.

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2004, 10:22:33 AM »
tight:when the sample is flipped, and it sounds nothing like the original.

example:shook ones 2

weak:when its a straight jack

example:most of the chronic(in no way am i implying that the beats suck, so theres no reason to catch feelins)
^ This dude knows nothing. A sample is when one is using (sampling) the actual song. In Dre's case, he was doing renditions, having musicans playing shit over, a big difference.
id make you look like an idiot right now, if dres lawyers didnt have that soundclick page shut down. dont speak on something YOU know nothing about.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 10:24:43 AM by smartass »
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2004, 10:41:55 AM »

example:most of the chronic(in no way am i implying that the beats suck, so theres no reason to catch feelins)
^ This dude knows nothing. A sample is when one is using (sampling) the actual song. In Dre's case, he was doing renditions, having musicans playing shit over, a big difference.
id make you look like an idiot right now, if dres lawyers didnt have that soundclick page shut down. dont speak on something YOU know nothing about.

Actually Smartass he's right. Dre wouldn't sample so to speak. He'd have musicians working for him that would replay other songs. It's not much different than sampling except you save some money playing performance rights. If I sampled the guitar riff in Satisfaction by the Rolling stones, I'd have to pay Keith Richards and Mick Jagger for taking a part of the song they wrote, AND I'd have to pay Keith for looping a peice of music he played. If I had my own guitarist then I'd only have to pay for the publishing. It saves money. Dre still wasn't "original" in the Chronic, but not many rap producers are.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2004, 11:51:54 AM »

Actually Smartass he's right. Dre wouldn't sample so to speak. He'd have musicians working for him that would replay other songs. It's not much different than sampling except you save some money playing performance rights. If I sampled the guitar riff in Satisfaction by the Rolling stones, I'd have to pay Keith Richards and Mick Jagger for taking a part of the song they wrote, AND I'd have to pay Keith for looping a peice of music he played. If I had my own guitarist then I'd only have to pay for the publishing. It saves money. Dre still wasn't "original" in the Chronic, but not many rap producers are.

It is well known that Dre uses musicians now to replay sections of music for him, but I think you will find that back in the original Chronic days he just straight sampled the tracks, because there wasn't so many restrictions on samples back then so he was able to get away more with simply sampling the music.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2004, 12:10:19 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I won't say you're wrong but according to interviews by Dre he said he didn't havew the smapling technology in the NWA and Chronic days, so he had to get musicians to replay them. There were musicians credited in the NWA albums.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2004, 12:28:23 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I won't say you're wrong but according to interviews by Dre he said he didn't havew the smapling technology in the NWA and Chronic days, so he had to get musicians to replay them. There were musicians credited in the NWA albums.

I am sure I read in an interview somewhere that Dre and Eazy were working somewhere where the dude paid them by giving them old records, which Dre then used (sampled) for Straight Outta Compton.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2004, 01:56:56 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am sure I read in an interview somewhere that Dre and Eazy were working somewhere where the dude paid them by giving them old records, which Dre then used (sampled) for Straight Outta Compton.

But Musicians are credited in the NWA albums. Particularly on the D.O.C. album. Maybe someone else can clarify this for us.

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2004, 03:04:05 PM »
ummmmm its not a SAMPLE if the ORIGINAL MUSICIAN wasn't given CREDIT. that would be a JACK.
*looks in chronic booklet*

i win.
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

Suga Foot

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2004, 03:30:31 PM »
ummmmm its not a SAMPLE if the ORIGINAL MUSICIAN wasn't given CREDIT. that would be a JACK.

i win.

you don't always have to give credit when sampling.  As long as the original artist gets his money, it isn't always necessary.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2004, 07:16:35 PM »

i win.

If I take a peice written by another artist of music and replay it, it is not sampling. Sampling is when you take parts the actual original recording.