Author Topic: Jesus Speaks Through Republicans...  (Read 98 times)

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Jesus Speaks Through Republicans...
« on: November 10, 2004, 11:08:49 AM »
I've seen a number of op/ed pieces similiar to this over the past few weeks, but this one seems representative of the direction the republican party is headed in... read on though:

Jesus speaks through the Republicans

I hope the election of George W. Bush is seen as a wake-up call to all the liberal Democrats who oppose God's will.

It is His doing that George W. Bush is still our president. Millions of born-again Christians helped win this election through our prayers and votes. Jesus speaks through the Republicans.

The Democrats will not be able to win elections until they renounce their sinful ways and stop encouraging abortions, gayness, and trying to take away our guns.

Earl Balboa

Washington Township

http://www.mcall.com/news/opinion/letters/all-balboanov08,0,3274850.story?coll=all-newsopinionletters-hed

Now obviously all republicans aren't 'jesus freaks' like this guy, but there have been plenty of people shouting views similiar to this one.  Humorously the glaringly contradict among many religious voters was highlighted by this author.  That being, the combined desire to say "we're people of god" and "we want guns."  Really it makes very little sense, that the people of god are also the people of guns, but its one of the many contradictions present in the republican party. 

Anyways, I mention articles like this for another reason.  This article also highlights the lack of identity present in the republican party.  If you watch during the next few years it will be intersting to see how things play out, because republicans are being told by a number of groups now "you owe us" and they can't possibly serve all of these groups and still manage the country well. 

Really you have 3 major groups trying strongly to influence the ideology of the republican party.  Basically you have special interests who donated millions to Bush/Cheney, you have evangelicals who because for the first time ever they came out to vote are demanding to be repaid, and you have the neocons who are the guys actually in power who are trying to influence party as well. 

Obviously the president, and the party are supposed to serve the poeple, but the republicans have some outstanding debts.  This whole system of paying back people who get you elected is part of the reason we saw so many problems during Bush I, now that Bush II begins, and more people have things owed to them, i'm just betting we are going to see plenty more of the same and then some.   

Woodrow

Re: Jesus Speaks Through Republicans...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 11:11:19 AM »
Harkin campaigns for Kerry, Pettengill, says Kerry's rise in polls is what God wants

VINTON - Iowa Sen. Tom Harkin says John Kerry has been gaining in the polls every day since Oct. 21, and George Bush has been going down every day.

"That's how God wants it to be," Harkin told a group of about 25 people at the Benton County Headquarters in Vinton on Thursday afternoon.

Harkin was touring the state to stump for Kerry and Democratic legislative candidates. He appeared in Benton County on behalf of Mt. Auburn Mayor Dawn Pettengill, who is running against incumbent Republican Dell Hanson for the Iowa House District 39 seat.

Harkin spent the first part of his speech echoing many of the campaign themes of the economy and Iraq sounded by Kerry in his presidential campaign.

Harkin predicted victory for Kerry on Tuesday, saying that the polls that show Bush and Kerry in a tight race do not include the many new Democrats who have recently registered to vote.

(Most polls only use input from likely voters, which mean those who have voted in previous elections.)

Harkin said that in Iowa, 50,000 new voters registered as Democrats recently, but only 20,000 registered as Independents and even fewer - 9,400 - registered as Republicans.

After encouraging the party faithful to get out the vote for Kerry, Harkin turned his attention to the Iowa Legislature, which he called an "albatross around the neck" of Gov. Tom Vilsack, whom he referred to as the "best governor in the United States."

"This is the worst legislature I've seen since the 1950s," Harkin said.

Harkin didn't remember the name of Pettengill's opponent, but told the group, "he has to go."

Harkin introduced Pettengill, who used her speech to respond to Republican mailings and television ads blaming her for a tax increase in Mt. Auburn by saying the city council was forced to increase taxes because of budget decisions made by Hanson and other Republicans in the legislature.

http://www.cedarvalleydailytimes.com/articles/2004/10/29/news/news01.txt

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 11:18:09 AM »
I don't disagree that there are religious fanatics on both sides.  I don't disagree that there are morons, and uninformed voters on either side.  The fact that one or two people exist proves nothing.  If you saw the polls, some evangelicals voted Kerry, but they overwhelming majority voted Bush. 

But this post was about something different.  It was about the evangelical reaction to Bush winning, which is basically "you owe us."  I've seen it stated plenty of times over the past few weeks in op/ed pieces.  The National Review even ran op/ed piece making very similiar remarks. 

This post was also about the number of special interests in general who laid claim to Bush/Cheney in 00, and will likely do so again in '04.  The republicans are being pulled in three different directions, when the only direction they should be going in, is the one that is best for all Americans.  This is why Bush II will be as bad, if not worse than Bush I.

Finally, this post also highlighted one of the contradiction among Bush voting Christians who say, "god wants bush" and "god wants guns."  Personally, I'm sure god didn't want us to have guns, and whether he wants Bush is well entirely unprovable.

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 08:15:47 AM »
Here's another example:

November 3, 2004

President George W. Bush
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. President:

The media tells us that you have received the largest number of popular votes of any president in America's history. Congratulations!

In your re-election, God has graciously granted America—though she doesn't deserve it—a reprieve from the agenda of paganism. You have been given a mandate. We the people expect your voice to be like the clear and certain sound of a trumpet. Because you seek the Lord daily, we who know the Lord will follow that kind of voice eagerly.

Don't equivocate. Put your agenda on the front burner and let it boil. You owe the liberals nothing. They despise you because they despise your Christ. Honor the Lord, and He will honor you.

Had your opponent won, I would have still given thanks, because the Bible says I must (I Thessalonians 5:18). It would have been hard, but because the Lord lifts up whom He will and pulls down whom He will, I would have done it. It is easy to rejoice today, because Christ has allowed you to be His servant in this nation for another presidential term. Undoubtedly, you will have opportunity to appoint many conservative judges and exercise forceful leadership with the Congress in passing legislation that is defined by biblical norm regarding the family, sexuality, sanctity of life, religious freedom, freedom of speech, and limited government. You have four years—a brief time only—to leave an imprint for righteousness upon this nation that brings with it the blessings of Almighty God.

Christ said, “If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my father honour” (John 12:26).

The student body, faculty, and staff at Bob Jones University commit ourselves to pray for you—that you would do right and honor the Savior. Pull out all the stops and make a difference. If you have weaklings around you who do not share your biblical values, shed yourself of them. Conservative Americans would love to see one president who doesn't care whether he is liked, but cares infinitely that he does right.

Best wishes.

Sincerely your friend,

Bob Jones III
President

BJIII:lw

PS: A few moments ago I read this letter to the students in Chapel. They applauded loudly their approval.

When I told them that Tom Daschle was no longer the minority leader of the Senate, they cheered again.

On occasion, Christians have not agreed with things you said during your first term. Nonetheless, we could not be more thankful that God has given you four more years to serve Him in the White House, never taking off your Christian faith and laying it aside as a man takes off a jacket, but living, speaking, and making decisions as one who knows the Bible to be eternally true.

*Jamal*

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 03:20:11 PM »
What really is the point of this?

There's no need to post all these articles when Bush already admitted that GOD told him to attack countries and spread democracy LOLLL