Author Topic: What Makes Rap Songs Weak Or Tight?  (Read 185 times)

C-Swift

What Makes Rap Songs Weak Or Tight?
« on: November 22, 2004, 11:27:28 AM »
As a writer of all my own shit I have to ask what makes rap songs tight or weak?

Elevz

Re: What Makes Rap Songs Weak Or Tight?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 02:00:38 PM »
flowww, metaphors/lyrics/story, beats - in that order i think? depends on the purpose of the song actually.

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 05:12:29 PM »
I'm almost convinced that the #1 thing that makes a song weak or tight is the bassline. 

Ðøšïå

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 05:16:51 PM »
I'm almost convinced that the #1 thing that makes a song weak or tight is the bassline. 

for my subwoofers.

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 05:46:39 PM »
I'd say you need a good beat, no matter how good the rhyme is, its no good to listen to on a pathetic beat.  Flow is very important too, lyrics, story has to be the least important though.

authentic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 12:43:38 AM »
if u want good rap u need something that isnt elementary, something that stands out. And if ur flow works with ur beat. Have ur metaphors leave the listerner with a laff

Sikx

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • pulu<3hewi
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 08:19:38 AM »
beat, baseline, most important, u saw how big in da club was, and it was all about the beat. basicly one amazingly hot beat and right ppl in ur crew makes u superstar :o

smartass

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my style is too developed to be arrested
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 01:31:24 PM »
in order: beat, lyricism, flow, wordplay, delivery.

if its appealing to the mainstream: beat, flow, delivery, wordplay, lyricism

what i prefer: beat, flow, lyricism, wordplay, delivery
I ain't little but vicious, guns no misses You feel me, kisses or wishes, fore I break you up like dishes Fuck your bosses, my forces, endorses To kill all your sources y'all niggas best be cautious No losses, my fortress, is Jaguars and Porsche's Ride the OTB to check my money on the horses My horrors is flawless, my block one of the broadest Off the main attraction for them whitey ass tourists That I tosses, it scorches, with out no remorses Leave they bloody body to be found in Mount Morris

Suga Foot

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 08:42:35 PM »

man, someone finally said it.  Basslines are key.  Not really for every song, but most classic songs have amazing basslines.  A bassline can make or break a song. 

Trauma-san

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 01:06:08 AM »
Even if you go back and look @ old songs you know you like, you'll probably find they have an awesome bassline, even if you never paid attention to it.  It's not just rap like that, either.  That's why everybody loves the Beatles, Paul McCartney was a fuckin' KICK ASS bass player. 

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 12:22:04 PM »
Even if you go back and look @ old songs you know you like, you'll probably find they have an awesome bassline, even if you never paid attention to it. It's not just rap like that, either. That's why everybody loves the Beatles, Paul McCartney was a fuckin' KICK ASS bass player.
so true.. i blast that shit in my car.. and u just hear pauls bass shakin my doors.. nice tunes too

KING VerbalAssaulta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 09:37:57 PM »
production/beats for me..its half the reason i listen to hip hop...an awesome beat can make a bad rapper sound good, and a good rapper have great songs(50 cent, emeniem)

The Watcher

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 09:53:33 PM »
the feel of the song. you can have dope lyrics and beat.. but if the mc's flow is shit or whatever, aslong as you got a feel for the song then it's dope. an mc can have shit lyrics, but a dope flow and beat, and if it feels good, that's all that matters
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

Westside Soldier

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2004, 01:02:54 AM »
what make rap songs go is the energy and story into it.
waht makes them crap are shit lyricss like this one give me what yah got for a pork chop.