Author Topic: 10 most violent games blasted  (Read 394 times)

Jome

10 most violent games blasted
« on: November 24, 2004, 11:08:02 PM »
WORST VIOLENT VIDEO GAMES

1. Doom 3
2. Grand Theft Auto: “San Andreas
3. Gunslinger Girls 2
4. Half Life 2
5. Halo 2
6. Hitman: Blood Money
7. Manhunt
8. Mortal Combat
9. Postal 2
10. Shadow Heart

RECOMMENDED NON-VIOLENT VIDEO GAMES

1. Antigrav
2. EyeToy:Antigrav
3. Jak 3
4. Karaoke Revlution Vol. 3
5. Madden NFL 2005
6. Mario Power Tennis
7. Prince of Persia
8. RollerCoaster Tycoon 3
9. SimCity 4

http://www.iccr.org/news/press_releases/pr_jtstatement112304.htm

;D

1. As the holiday shopping season begins, we come together as citizens, consumers and investors concerned about the marketing of a culture of violence in a season where "peace and goodwill toward all" are principal themes. We are especially concerned about the marketing of violent entertainment, particularly violent video games, to children.

2. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, violence (homicide, suicide, and trauma) is the most prevalent health risk for children and adolescents.

3. One factor contributing to violence is entertainment media products such as violent video games. Years of research have shown that viewing entertainment violence can lead to increases in aggressive attitudes, values and behavior, particularly in children. Research on violent interactive media indicates that it has a strong and more lasting effect on violent behavior.

4. Video games have emerged as a popular form of entertainment, with 70% of children living in a home with at least one video game player, and 33% with one in their bedrooms. $7 billion were spent in the United States in 2003 on video and computer games.

5. We wish to speak today to corporations in the video game industry, and to adults who will be purchasing video games as holiday gifts for children.

6. We believe that corporations in the video game industry, who may pride themselves as good corporate citizens with an interest in promoting healthy communities, must assume greater responsibility in ensuring that violent interactive entertainment is not accessible to children and youth.

7. We ask companies to consider what messages are being sent to children and youth when they market certain video games that promote violence and gender and racial stereotyping. For example, the Federal Trade Commission's July 2004 study expressed a concern about advertisements promoting Mature-rated games (for ages 17 and older) in publications oriented toward younger children. We believe this type of marketing must end.

8. While a number of retailers have made efforts to restrict the sale of inappropriate games to children, we are not satisfied with the results. The Federal Trade Commission's "Mystery Shopper Survey" in 2003 found that 69% of children were able to purchase Mature-rated games in retail stores. A New York City Council Investigation Division investigation in 2003 revealed that 97% of the time, "a young person can walk into almost any store selling video games in New York City and purchase games that encourage and reward them for performing acts of violence and brutality that include beating women, shooting cops and committing racially motivated acts of violence." The report concluded: "Retailers must make a real commitment to keeping video games with graphic violence or strong sexual content out of the hands of children." And we add to that conclusion teenagers as well.

9. We call on the marketers and sellers of video games to:

· Develop standards for marketing video games that encourage/reward players for performing acts of violence and brutality, and that depict images demeaning to women and minorities.
· Prevent minors from purchasing/renting M-rated games by separating these from other games so that parents can shop for products appropriate for their children.
· Evaluate and report on their enforcement and compliance programs of policies to prevent minors from purchasing violent video games.

10. We urge those who purchase video games for children, or allow children to purchase such games, to do so with great care. While the game software industry finances a rating system through the work of the Entertainment Software Ratings Board (ESRB), we are not convinced that parents can completely depend on its accuracy. Some parents' concept of what is acceptable for children and teens may not be the same as that of the ESRB. A study by Dr. Kimberly Thompson of the Harvard School of Public Health concluded that "physicians and parents should be aware that popular Teen-rated video games (ages 13 and older) may be a source of exposure to a wide range of unexpected content" including games that involve intentional violence, such as rewarding or requiring players to kill.

11. We encourage parents to exercise their power as consumers and hold retailers accountable for the way that violent video games are marketed and sold. Parents can visit retailers and find out how they display the games and how stores enforce the current ratings system. They can urge retailers to stop selling violent games or at the very least separate them from child-friendly ones. They can advocate by writing to companies and letting them know their concerns about the marketing of violent entertainment media.

They can find out what their internet service providers are doing to prevent children from purchasing or playing violent video games online.

12. Finally, we wish to name several games whose scenes of violence, gender and/or racial stereotyping are such that we would urge parents to avoid purchasing them. Some of the best-selling games of special concern are all versions of: Grand Theft Auto; Halo; Half-Life; Doom; Manhunt; and Hitman.

13. We are hopeful that with increased awareness and the empowerment of citizens, consumers and investors, the marketing of violence will decrease and the video game industry will be held accountable to create a positive system for people to enjoy age-appropriate video games.

Da WCC Hopar!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love to see her walk off!
Re: 10 most violent games blasted
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 11:20:16 PM »
 ???

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 11:26:32 PM »
Violence in video games doesn't contribute to deliquency.  Good character is instilled in the home, regardless of outside influences... children have been playing cowboys and indians, or cops and robbers with cap guns for centuries and they made it out alive, there's hope for the youth yet, if you ask me. 

Sikotic™

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 11:38:28 PM »
Mario Tennis and Roller Coaster Tycoon sure sound like fun  ::)
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

[sepehr]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm Gully
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 12:25:49 AM »
How is Prince of Persia not violent

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 05:25:18 AM »
I hope this list isnt supposed to be an all-time list or something, halo(2) is the most unviolent shooter I ever played.

wtf is gunslinger girls?
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

[Stoned]Jesus H. Christ[Wheat]

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Reefer Addict - Abusing It Faster Than A $2 Whore
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 06:58:07 AM »
Violence in video games doesn't contribute to deliquency.  Good character is instilled in the home, regardless of outside influences... children have been playing cowboys and indians, or cops and robbers with cap guns for centuries and they made it out alive, there's hope for the youth yet, if you ask me. 

Couldn't have said that better myself
It's 4:20, are you smoking?

Lady Scarface

Sikx

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • pulu<3hewi
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 09:09:32 AM »
sa 2nd? i dont think it's that violent, id probably put hitman higher then sa.

just finished all missions in sa! ;D

lain_83

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 11:28:01 AM »
wtf is gunslinger girls?

there's an anime show called gunslinger girl.

description of the series:

Brainwashed girls who do not have any relatives nor any place to be, are being prepared as professional assassins and given mechanical bodies by a so called non-profit welfare organization. They have lost every consciences and do not hesitate to kill at all. hey spend their lives smeared with smoke, covered in gunpowder and blood.

i don't know the game, though.

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2004, 11:32:03 AM »
How is Prince of Persia not violent

lol...thinkin the same here

I guess thats why ghost recon 2 has no blood  ???
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2004, 02:44:49 PM »
lol funny how sa was released just a month ago and its at 2nd most violent game lol

Rampant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2004, 04:46:57 PM »
manhunt and postal 2 should be tied for 1st.

Jome

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2004, 06:19:59 PM »
BTW, this is for the holiday season, so they only count the recent blockbuster/smash games, like the last year or something..

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2004, 09:17:49 AM »
you forgot solider of fortune

Acgrundy

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2004, 02:54:51 PM »
man there is way more violent games than those listed.