Author Topic: Computer dilemma  (Read 118 times)

Thirteen

Computer dilemma
« on: November 26, 2004, 12:25:55 PM »
ok here's my situation...i have a Sony Vaio RX 860 P4 2.4 GHz, 1 Gb RAM and i'm about to buy an ATI Radeon 9800 pro to upgrade from my 9600

problem is those videocards don't work too good with my coputer because i can't turn off the onboard video because the BIOS won't let me...

so here are my options....

1. sell my computer on ebay back to it's factory settings (take out 512 mb RAM and the videocard) and hope to get around $1000, then pay about $500 ish more for a newer computer

or

2. Salvage what i can from my current computer, buy a new motherboard and case for my computer (around $250) maybe buy some more RAM if i can't find a motherboard compatible with my RAM ($200) and spend a little more on programs ($10 for windows xp pro through my school)

option 1 is easier but option 2 is quicker

Rampant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Computer dilemma
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 12:32:22 PM »
i say take out all of your parts.

1) Buy a new case
2) Buy a new motherboard
3) Put your P4 chip onto the new motherboard
4) Take out the Ram, harddrive, video card, and sound card out of your old computer and put it on the new one.

If i was you, i would do it that way. Im not sure which way would be cheaper, because there is no way to know how much youll get for it off of ebay.

Thirteen

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 12:38:38 PM »
well i can always put up a reserve price, and look to see how other Sony models are selling. the only problem is that my computer is glitchy because i think something in it is fried... every thing pretty much works except for videogames even at factory settings

best i could do is put insurance on it when i ship it, and if the person complains about it being broke, just tell him it must have been messed up during shipping

.:TimeLock:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 01:03:19 PM »
mite have a jumper on the mother board to disable the on board video

Thirteen

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 01:17:01 PM »
mite have a jumper on the mother board to disable the on board video

i wish it was that easy, Sony gave me a patch to download and it really doesn't do anything that i've noticed.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 01:22:11 PM »
i'm talking to sony live chat now i'll let u know what they say
user Lee has entered room

analyst Patrick_ has entered room

Lee> hi

Patrick_> Welcome to Sony online support. I will be glad to assist you.

Lee> thank you

Lee> did u see my question?

Patrick_> Yes, I got  your message?

Lee> i want to know if there is a jumper setting on my Vaio PCV-RX860 motherboard to disable the on-board video

Lee> do u know?

Patrick_> Please stay online while I check this information.

Lee> ok thanx

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 01:48:20 PM »
sony live chat ain't worth shit! >:(

they took forever then to say sorry we don't have any info on your question call the 1800 number

fucking bull shit i tell u! >:(

Rampant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 02:32:17 PM »
i say just salvage the parts. You obviously got some good stuff in it (P4 2.4, good ram)

just take out all the good stuff and make a new one.

Da WCC Hopar!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love to see her walk off!
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2004, 04:09:34 PM »
first of all y do u wanna change ur video card and second wats rong wit ur onboard video duzent ur 9600 work i takin that the 9600 came wit the comp

Thirteen

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2004, 04:55:44 PM »
first of all y do u wanna change ur video card and second wats rong wit ur onboard video duzent ur 9600 work i takin that the 9600 came wit the comp

the 9600 is something i added and i want the 9800 just because it's more powerful and there's a shitload of places that have them on sale...my onboard video is junk, i can hardly play any 3d games on it